First of all I am sad to see a couple of reviews recently that are not favourable about this hotel, they were staying at the same time as us so they either have very different ideas of a good hotel or they are being economical with the truth.
I was just going to put "BOOK IT !" as my review but feel I should elaborate as I wouldn't want anyone to be put off going to stay with Rod and his excellent staff in this beautiful, boutique hotel.
This is without doubt the best holiday we have had and I have travelled to many parts of the globe. My husband and I aged 41 and 33 chose the Sugar Cane based on the good reviews on this site and also the fact it had recently been refurbished, as alot of the other hotels in Barbados were reviewed as slightly tatty.
We were greeted at the airport in Barbados by Virgin staff with a bottle of water and welcome pack and we were then shown to our transfer van that took us to our hotel (about 45 mins). On arrival a very friendly Michelle welcomed us with rum punch and answered any questions. We were then shown to our room which was amazing, as described in other reviews - lounge with flat screen tv, fully equipped kitchen, spacious bedroom and bathroom with a shower that could knock you over with it's force ! They had also provided after sun lotion, body lotion etc alongside your usual shower gel and shampoos so you sould just take your toothbrush rather than a whole wash bag ! The rooms are spotless and are cleaned every day with towels ( they provide beach/pool ones aswell) changed every other day.
The setting for the hotel is stunning, it is set in beautiful, lush, landscaped gardens with a lovely pool area and as there is a forest down to the coastline plenty of wild life. You have to be up early to catch the green mokeys scampering about and the tree frogs and humming birds were often popping by our balcony which was lovely. A couple of days we had the pool to ourselves as other guests were on trips and at the beach ! You could swim lengths of the pool to keep fit and we used the gym most mornings which was well equipped. As we had booked through Virgin the first Spa treatment was free and the spa was very good and we ended up having extra treatments as they were so relaxing !
The food in the restaurant was superb and all from an a la carte menu with plenty of variety so you could sample local dishes aswell as steaks, seafood etc. The staff were fantastic, really friendly especially Sasha in the restaurant and there was certainly no wait for food as previous reviews have stated. And of course I must make a special mention to Grantley, Roy and Ryan who served at the bar. This is Barbados and you are on holiday so if the drinks service was a litlle relaxed there was more time to chat to these lovely people who made us feel very welcome. They even took us out to their local bar in Speightstown one night ! Rod please pass our best wishes and huge thanks to Roy and Grantley - we were so busy saying our good byes to the other guests that we missed saying goodbye to these wonderful chaps and felt awful when we realised we hadn't said goodbye and thank you to them both personally - hope they are enjoying the cricket !
The charm of this hotel made us feel that we were staying in a family villa, not a hotel. Rod is cerytainly not "fake" and took time to chat to us all individually and make sure that we were enjoying our stay, the Caribbean bar b q and drinks night was a good chance to chat with other guests. To be honest the atmosphere created by the bar/restaurant layout meant that we got to chat with other guests at meal times and we met some wonderful people and a had a lot of laughs. However, you could quite easily enjoy your own company if you didn't wish to mingle.
The shuttle bus runs 4 times a day to Speightstown and the beach and if you plan a day at the beach then the hotel provide sandwiches. General works at the house there to keep you topped up with drinks and also takes you out to a great snorkelling spot on the free glass bottom boat on a Friday. We swam with turtles and hundreds of fish. The beach is stunning and hardly anyone on it - just a few local kids splashing about. If you want to go round the Island the reggae (yellow) buses are good fun and only 1,50 to go anywhere.
We hired a car for one day to see the whole Island and enjoyed the following:
Oistins fish fry on a Friday night
Drive down the rugged east coast (Bathsheba)
Naniki restaurant in the hills
Fishermans pub on a Sunday night ( I think it was sunday, check with Grantley !)
Bridgetown shopping and waterside cafe for a drink
All in all this was a wonderful holiday made more special by the great acommodation and friendly staff, we would not hesitate to recommend this to friends and family and will be back one day soon.
If you are looking a for a big, faceless hotel with constant activity, being elbowed at the buffet and karaoke this is not for you !
If you want peace, tranquility and lots of laughs BOOK IT !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa is graciously located on the North West Coast & Caribbean side of the Island Barbados. This 4 star deluxe Boutique Hotel is set upon a hilltop and has a charming Mediterranean architecture amongst tranquil and tropical ambiance. The Hotel & Spa is known for its warm hospitality, delivery of outstanding staff, service, and facilities in a casual setting. The 45 all-suite Hotel boasts one of the islands leading spa’s, two restaurants and bars, two swimming pools, a guest lounge, gym, art gallery, souvenir shop, squash court, and complimentary shuttle service amongst many more. Sugar Cane Club only accepts teenagers from ages 14 years and up, and no children ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel And Spa
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Hotel
- Sugar Cane Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa Barbados/Saint Peter Parish