“Great staff, wonderful location, awesome vacation!”

Almond Beach Resort
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Best check-in process I have ever experienced at a resort or hotel!
Staff were wonderfully friendly and incredibly accommodating!
Food was also amazing, fresh & well prepared and always plenty of it! (also loved those cheese sandwiches at high tea and popsicles delivered poolside each afternoon) Dining service was exemplary
Beverages were superior to other all inclusive locations that we have experienced!
Rooms were very quiet & clean, beds were divine! Bathroom fixtures may be dated but I don't think it is something to complain about as others have...
The beach and pools are perfect places to relax and stay cool (don't forget your sunscreen!)
The glass bottomed boat/sea turtle and island bus excursions were great!
Shout out to the Management & Lucille, Beverly, Clyve, Gregory, Hugh, Kareen & Matthew among others who made this vacation both enjoyable and memorable!

Room Tip: Beautiful ocean views from 3rd floor at the southernmost end of the resort! (guessing the 4th floor...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Janet M
Sharon S, Manager at Almond Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Arizonaadict,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to exceed guest expectations while they are with us.

It was indeed our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Barbados

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had never been to Barbados before or been on an all inclusive. However we wanted to try both and I looked hard to find what I thought was well rated all inclusive hotel at a good price. I booked Almond Beach on the basis of its rating of 4.5 on Tripadvisor. However before we went the rating fell to 4 because the ratings of Almond Beach as it originally was had been removed from the list so we were a bit worried about what we would find.

The present Almond Beach turns out to be a about half of the original Almond Beach resort which was partially reopened earlier this year after a BB$ 3 million refurbishment. If you walk northwards along the beach you can see just how massive it once was and presumably why Sandals have to have bought it (more later).

You arrive at an large attractive roofed but open sided reception area which was originally central to the resort but which is now the Northerly limit. Booking in was efficient and our luggage was taken with us up to our second floor room in Block 7. The room was large and clean and air conditioned with a super king bed and still room for a large sofa. We had booked a superior ocean view and had a large 12 M2 terrace facing the sea. The bathroom was quite large and had everything we needed. There were signs of the refurb in that there were some of the previous bath fittings still fixed in the tiling but it didn't really detract from the overall good impression. .

The grounds are still very extensive and were very well maintained by the gardening staff. There are four freeform pools in the centre (1 children, 2 family and 1 adult) of the resort and there is actually a fifth pool fronting the North Beach on the present edge of the resort. However we spent all our time on the beach and to be frank all the pools looked child friendly but not very deep or suited to exercise swimming.

There are two beaches, North & South, but just about everybody uses the North Beach as its much easier to get in to the sea on that one. There are free kayaks, paddle boards and snorkling equipment, including life jackets if needed, in the fisherman's hut. There are two small reefs going out at either end of the beach and you can see plenty of fish and even turtles on them. There are plenty of sunbeds put out each day by staff and there is quite a lot of shade on the beach provided by trees but very little by way of man-made shade or beach umbrellas.

There are two restaurants, Enid's & Reef. Enid's is a la carte at lunch, the reef is buffet. In the evening as rule they both do a la carte except on Tues Thurs & Sat when there is a buffet at the Reef but sometimes it changes so you need to check what's happening. Breakfast is buffet in the Reef.

I am a bit of a foodie so I was quite worried about what the standard would be. In general we were very happy with the food. Not that I am an expert but the breakfast hot buffet was the best I have experienced. We always used Enid's for lunch and the food was always fine and the service exceptionally friendly and efficient. The only food we found average were the evening buffets. You can of course go "off piste" and walk into Speightstown and sample other local restaurants on those nights

On the drinks side they did aged rum and cointreau as well as the usual local brands.
One thing that worried me was in the description of all inclusive was the bit which says free wine by the glass with meals but you have to pay for bottles of wine. I though they would try to limit consumption by only refilling very infrequently. I couldn't have been more wrong. At one stage I thought if I have to empty my glass before I can leave the restaurant I might never get out as they refilled glasses so swiftly and diligently.

Which brings me to the best part of the resort - the staff. They were without exception friendly, helpful and efficient. Every "thank you" is met with a "you're welcome" and you really feel they mean it.

Whilst the resort runs some free trips out and there is no need to leave the resort two trips I would recommend as memorable are Sunday Lunch at Lobster Alive in Bridgetown (not cheap but worth it) and the five hour lunch cruise on a catarmaran (BB$90 per head).

Its rumoured that Sandals have bought the whole site and the government want them to redevelop it as a large, minimum 7 restaurant, resort. It would apparently take about 6 years. I can't see that it stacks up financially at present so may be it won't happen.

Having read the earlier critical reviews I can only conclude there were teething problems when it first reopened but to their credit the staff have now sorted them out. My advice then is go while you still can it was great value for money and the staff were fantastic.

19  Thank Midlands_New_Man

Dear Midland_New_Man

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Almond Beach Resort.

It is very good to read that you consider the hotel great value for money and we appreciate the acknowledgement of the friendliness and kindness of our staff. Thank you for choosing to visit Barbados and stay at our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Barbados.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just come back from a lovely stay at the Almond Beach and really enjoyed the trip. The first thing I would say that really was outstanding was the high level of service from the staff, each and every staff member was so friendly and nothing was a problem - a real credit to the hotel and management. The hotel itself was quite quiet as it was off season, but we took full advantage, the beach and pool areas were all quite quiet to sit and relax on. The rooms were recently refurbished and were very nicely furnished and very comfortable. The food was okay, not a great deal of variety, however was really nice. The resort itself is a little isolated, with not a great deal of amenities outside the resort in the local area, however if you're looking for a relaxing break on a really great value All Inclusive, the Almond Beach would be for you. Would I come back? Perhaps, but I think my first option would be in a more lively location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jimmibob24
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Firstly, let me start by saying you'll see a few negative reviews on here and while I'm a great believer in everybody is entitled to their own opinion I do feel some of the comments seem rather "picky".
When we arrived we were impressed by the initial look of the front lobby, and were also greeted with a rum punch, while they hand over your welcome pack - which was informative.

I advise you all to take FULL advantage of all of the inclusive activities that the hotel provide. Some of the activities we booked we could not believe that they didn't come at an extra cost. (Island safari, swimming w/ Turtles, Reef fishing - the list goes on!!) Also you have full use of water activities such a paddle-board and kayaks. For the all inclusive price you pay it is very much worth it.
You will also see some jetski vendors on the beach - they are not part of the hotel itself, but are very friendly and helpful. From day one we met Edmo and spoke to him near enough everyday, even after we finally went on his jetski he still continued to talk to us and help us/hotel beach staff in getting sunbeds etc when needed.

The two restaurants both alternate from Buffet and A La Carte so you get some variety in meals. The food is great, and luckily while we were they we did get to meet the Chef David Yarde to let him know just how impressed we were with the food!
Waitresses very welcoming and helpful - and always right there to top up your drink when you're getting low.
Both bars are also very good. You will see they have a cocktail menu, but please note you are still able to ask for a cocktail that may not be on the menu (for example Strawberry Daiquiri yum) - also depending on your preferred taste don't be afraid to ask for more or less rum in your cocktail.

We were very aware that we were going at the off-peak season, so it was quite sad to see a small, not so enthusiastic audience for the entertainment provided. One night we had a show of traditional Bajan culture which was very entertaining and impressive!

There is a bus terminal roughly a 5 minute walk away from the hotel, which we used quite frequently during our stay. Also there is Jordans supermarket 10 minute walk away from the hotel - they sell very cheap rum to take home! (not duty free in supermarkets - but it's still cheap).

Okay, some things aren't perfect, but there is nothing at the hotel that will prevent you from having a great and confortable stay!

Really happy we chose Almond Beach, and were impressed with all staff. Thank you again for a great stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Zoe N

Dear Zoe

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review of your recent stay at Almond Beach Resort. We are delighted to hear you had a great stay and was able to experience a variety of exciting resort and island activities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We are currently staying at the Almond Beach. & unfortunately only have a few days left.
The first thing, I would like to point out is that the staff are fantastic. Nothing was a problem. The only problem I had was saying "no" to the constant offer of a cocktail, rum punch or a beer. Special thanks for Helen at the bar.

The room we have is in block seven, fourth floor, It is very clean and comfortable with a beautiful ocean view. The staff are in daily, and it's spotless after each visit .
We had one issue...our tv broke late one evening. Reported it to guest services, and was replaced immediately. Nothing was a problem.

Meals.... I have a wee problem here.. Your eyes can be bigger than your belly .
Breakfast, full buffet, hot, cold, eggs in any form.

Three hours later lunch...... Mostly buffet in the Reef but you can try Enid's .
Highly recommended .

If you are still need more, we'll there is afternoon tea. 4pm to the side of Reef bar.
Small selection of coffee, teas, sandwiches and cookies.

Three hours later! Yes more food .
Dinner..... Choice is The Reef, Enid's or go to Sugar Cane.

Weekly BBQ on the Saturday night was probably the most disappointing meal.
Not because of the quality or staff but just it's general organization.

The rest was great, remember folks this is not the Sandy lane , but you will know that, when you paid for your holiday. I have heard people say that the meals are repetitive ..... Try eating chicken one night, pork the next, then lamb , don't pile your plate up with everything... And change your restaurant every other night.
The meals are good and the service is excellent.
Staff always offering to top up your chilled water and provide drinks.

I couldn't keep up with the amount that is available.
One word of warning....... Birds , never leave your table unattended.
They will move in fast and attack what ever is left.
For me it's , part of the holiday...

Every morning around the pool we where offered a ice lolly... It's a small thing but it was welcomed.
Selection of four pools, but you have the beach, which is right at the back of the reef restaurant.
Blue sea , white sand and palm trees, what else can you ask for.

At the moment the hotel is offering a free selection of tours.
jeep safari.... 3.5 hour tour of the north of Barbados, in a 4x4.
Good way of seeing the island, but don't attempt if you have any back issues.
I enjoyed it, not to sure about my wife...

Various tours to Bridgetown and Lime grove.

Remember folks these are free at this time.

It's great value for money and the staff are great, they help make the holiday so good.

Would I come back , YES .

Right back to the Bar.....

Room Tip: Block seven, level four, room 220,219,218 or the floor five ... Only for the view.
12  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to the Almond beach resort at the end of April this year & honestly it was the BEST holiday I've ever had. The location is just beautiful, the staff are so welcoming & friendly, the food was lovely & the hotel spotless. Our room was cleaned every day & nothing was too much hassle. It's very sad news that this hotel may be demolished next year, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I've already recommended it to all my friends & family so I hope it stays put but if you can then certainly go ASAP you definitely will not regret it! I have to mention that all the excursions included in the price are amazing, we went on the jeep safari & out on the boat & swam with turtles. I don't have one bad thing to say about this hotel, the location, the locals or the staff. I loved it so much I'm going back in October & can't wait!! Book while you can!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank HOLLIE E
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The staff were fantastic! We booked very last minute and did not have a lot of time to review trip advisor...we just booked it. When we arrived we were greeted by George the duty manager. He immediately made us feel very comfortable and gave us a overview of the resort and some of its history. We stayed in 7523 which has a great view and has been updated in the last couple of years. Overall the resort is well run and clean. While we were there they had Enid's and the Reef restaurant open. Food was good with the usual resort variety. If you get a chance go to the sister resort - Sugar Cane for dinner. Sugar Cane is a five star boutique resort with a fantastic restaurant offered to the Almond Beach clientele.

Room Tip: Middle of block 7.
5  Thank D R
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#11 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Almond Beach Resort? Share your experiences!