“Terrific hotel with superb service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Almond Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Almond Beach Resort
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Terrific hotel with superb service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel despite part of resort closed. Superb food with huge array of choice, brilliant staff and wonderful location.
Standard rooms good but have a little wear and tear around the edges.
Great value with inclusive trips. Swimming with turtles a wonderful experience. Go whilst its still there. Sandals are buying and knocking the resort down!

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Lisa B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Travelling as a party of five - my daughter, sister, brother in law and husband. Arrived after a swift transfer from the airport - met with a rum punch - good start to the holiday
I absolutely agree with comments below me. The al a carte food was excellent, beautifuly presented The rooms were large, did have a problem in the bathroom which was immediately sorted out. I cannot praise the staff highly enough. It was my daughters 40th birthday when we were there and they kindly blew up balloons and decorated our table with a banner and sparkles - thanks Beverley. The free trips were excellent and the facilities amazing. We have been around a bit on holiday but have never ever encountered staff as exceptonal as at the Almond Beach!!!
Enjoyed every minute.

Room Tip: Block 7 second floor - rooms large, overlooking the sea. Very quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Lynn B
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is very good for relaxation. The beach is very beautiful, incredible color of the water. The rooms are nice, litle old, but clean, and if you have sea view is perfect. Fodd is ok, almost the same each day, but for me if ther is fish and beef it is perfect. Drinks are good, and cold. Staf is very friendly, most of them, but ther are some of the staf who are not so happy to work with the people. Front desk staff are very friendly and always looking to help.

Room Tip: 7224 great view
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Daniel M
San Fernando, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We arrived five hours earlier than the 3pm check-in time, and had previously asked (via email) if we were allowed an early check-in. The front desk staff was very helpful, and due to our room not being ready, received an upgrade to a superior ocean-view room from Kimberley. The water is beautiful, but there’s not much activity on it, so can be monotonous.

The room was also one of the furthest from the front desk on the property, but that allowed for some strolling to and from meals, as well as past the other facilities & activities on the property. It was also very comfortable, air-conditioned, and with all the expected amenities. The buildings are a bit dated, but not in any state of disrepair.

We also opted for a late departure time (6pm), and were allowed to check out of our room at midday. They kept our luggage in storage, while we still had free use of all amenities, and also received a courtesy room for 30 minutes to shower and change before we left, all at no additional charge. This type of service and understanding is phenomenal.

There was an introduction at 11a where tours and other activities can be booked outside the Sandy Surf Lodge. You also collect your beach towels there. The folks here (Tenille, Stephen, Tamika) are really fun loving and will encourage you to do more than lay around in the sun if you’re so inclined. I also used here to retreat into A/C from the midday sun after lunch with a drink or two, to play games and just hangout with them. We went on two tours which I’d recommend, the island safari (may not be suited for young children), and the glass bottom boat to swim with the turtles.

The buffet style restaurant (The reef) never disappointed. I recommend browsing through it all before going for a plate and deciding on your meal, else you will end up with too many surprise must haves. The fine-dining restaurants (Enid’s & Sugar Cane club) were a bit too rigid in terms of what’s plated. I much prefer the buffet.

The bar staff were friendly and made excellent suggestions. Helen in particular remembered my favorite (Extra old and coke) and would have it ready for me once I approached.

I must also commend ALL other staff members who were there during my stay. Every request was met with friendly diligent sincerity. At times It never felt like they were doing a job, always like they are earnestly interested in helping their friend.

A couple suggestions:
 Have Sugar Cane Club honor Almond’s guests All-Inclusiveness.
Having enjoyed the extra old and coke over three days, I was surprised to be told by the Sugar Cane Club’s bartender I’d have to pay extra for it during the exchange dining.
 Improve wifi signal throughout property.
I was relying on my phone. It would work well in some areas, very poorly if ever in my room.
 Have juice, soda, in the tea room or open the bars earlier.
I don’t drink hot drinks, so had limited options until they opened.
 Have snorkel masks with built-in cameras.
There is some amazing life there especially around dusk. It would be a benefit to easily record some of it as part of the trip.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms would be closer to most facilities.
6 Thank Karl W
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Best check-in process I have ever experienced at a resort or hotel!
Staff were wonderfully friendly and incredibly accommodating!
Food was also amazing, fresh & well prepared and always plenty of it! (also loved those cheese sandwiches at high tea and popsicles delivered poolside each afternoon) Dining service was exemplary
Beverages were superior to other all inclusive locations that we have experienced!
Rooms were very quiet & clean, beds were divine! Bathroom fixtures may be dated but I don't think it is something to complain about as others have...
The beach and pools are perfect places to relax and stay cool (don't forget your sunscreen!)
The glass bottomed boat/sea turtle and island bus excursions were great!
Shout out to the Management & Lucille, Beverly, Clyve, Gregory, Hugh, Kareen & Matthew among others who made this vacation both enjoyable and memorable!

Room Tip: Beautiful ocean views from 3rd floor at the southernmost end of the resort! (guessing the 4th floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Janet M
Sharon S, Manager at Almond Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Arizonaadict,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to exceed guest expectations while they are with us.

It was indeed our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Barbados

Regards
Sharon
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had never been to Barbados before or been on an all inclusive. However we wanted to try both and I looked hard to find what I thought was well rated all inclusive hotel at a good price. I booked Almond Beach on the basis of its rating of 4.5 on Tripadvisor. However before we went the rating fell to 4 because the ratings of Almond Beach as it originally was had been removed from the list so we were a bit worried about what we would find.

The present Almond Beach turns out to be a about half of the original Almond Beach resort which was partially reopened earlier this year after a BB$ 3 million refurbishment. If you walk northwards along the beach you can see just how massive it once was and presumably why Sandals have to have bought it (more later).

You arrive at an large attractive roofed but open sided reception area which was originally central to the resort but which is now the Northerly limit. Booking in was efficient and our luggage was taken with us up to our second floor room in Block 7. The room was large and clean and air conditioned with a super king bed and still room for a large sofa. We had booked a superior ocean view and had a large 12 M2 terrace facing the sea. The bathroom was quite large and had everything we needed. There were signs of the refurb in that there were some of the previous bath fittings still fixed in the tiling but it didn't really detract from the overall good impression. .

The grounds are still very extensive and were very well maintained by the gardening staff. There are four freeform pools in the centre (1 children, 2 family and 1 adult) of the resort and there is actually a fifth pool fronting the North Beach on the present edge of the resort. However we spent all our time on the beach and to be frank all the pools looked child friendly but not very deep or suited to exercise swimming.

There are two beaches, North & South, but just about everybody uses the North Beach as its much easier to get in to the sea on that one. There are free kayaks, paddle boards and snorkling equipment, including life jackets if needed, in the fisherman's hut. There are two small reefs going out at either end of the beach and you can see plenty of fish and even turtles on them. There are plenty of sunbeds put out each day by staff and there is quite a lot of shade on the beach provided by trees but very little by way of man-made shade or beach umbrellas.

There are two restaurants, Enid's & Reef. Enid's is a la carte at lunch, the reef is buffet. In the evening as rule they both do a la carte except on Tues Thurs & Sat when there is a buffet at the Reef but sometimes it changes so you need to check what's happening. Breakfast is buffet in the Reef.

I am a bit of a foodie so I was quite worried about what the standard would be. In general we were very happy with the food. Not that I am an expert but the breakfast hot buffet was the best I have experienced. We always used Enid's for lunch and the food was always fine and the service exceptionally friendly and efficient. The only food we found average were the evening buffets. You can of course go "off piste" and walk into Speightstown and sample other local restaurants on those nights

On the drinks side they did aged rum and cointreau as well as the usual local brands.
One thing that worried me was in the description of all inclusive was the bit which says free wine by the glass with meals but you have to pay for bottles of wine. I though they would try to limit consumption by only refilling very infrequently. I couldn't have been more wrong. At one stage I thought if I have to empty my glass before I can leave the restaurant I might never get out as they refilled glasses so swiftly and diligently.

Which brings me to the best part of the resort - the staff. They were without exception friendly, helpful and efficient. Every "thank you" is met with a "you're welcome" and you really feel they mean it.

Whilst the resort runs some free trips out and there is no need to leave the resort two trips I would recommend as memorable are Sunday Lunch at Lobster Alive in Bridgetown (not cheap but worth it) and the five hour lunch cruise on a catarmaran (BB$90 per head).

Its rumoured that Sandals have bought the whole site and the government want them to redevelop it as a large, minimum 7 restaurant, resort. It would apparently take about 6 years. I can't see that it stacks up financially at present so may be it won't happen.

Having read the earlier critical reviews I can only conclude there were teething problems when it first reopened but to their credit the staff have now sorted them out. My advice then is go while you still can it was great value for money and the staff were fantastic.

19 Thank Midlands_New_Man
Dear Midland_New_Man

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Almond Beach Resort.

It is very good to read that you consider the hotel great value for money and we appreciate the acknowledgement of the friendliness and kindness of our staff. Thank you for choosing to visit Barbados and stay at our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Barbados.

Regards
Sharon
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just come back from a lovely stay at the Almond Beach and really enjoyed the trip. The first thing I would say that really was outstanding was the high level of service from the staff, each and every staff member was so friendly and nothing was a problem - a real credit to the hotel and management. The hotel itself was quite quiet as it was off season, but we took full advantage, the beach and pool areas were all quite quiet to sit and relax on. The rooms were recently refurbished and were very nicely furnished and very comfortable. The food was okay, not a great deal of variety, however was really nice. The resort itself is a little isolated, with not a great deal of amenities outside the resort in the local area, however if you're looking for a relaxing break on a really great value All Inclusive, the Almond Beach would be for you. Would I come back? Perhaps, but I think my first option would be in a more lively location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,920 reviews
Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,647 reviews

Been to Almond Beach Resort? Share your experiences!