“Wonderful.. don't hesitate to book.”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
North Providence, Rhode Island
“Wonderful.. don't hesitate to book.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed in June our family of 4. We were upgraded to a larger room because I requested a rollaway bed and only book the smaller room which came with the package and that would not have fit in the room. This was so nice of the manger to do this for me and the room was lovely and spacious and would have cost me so much more. The resort is very nice. The staff from the front guard to the wait staff to the bartenders are all friendly to the beach staff go out of their way to help pr assist you. We enjoyed the buffets, and the restaurant which required reservations. We took the bus to the sister resort and stayed the day and did the water sports which are included with the ai and ate there, you just need to go to guest relations early and sign up they only take 10 per day. I would go over and sit outside there door with my morning coffee and wait until they opened. The bus ride was interesting to say the least you get to rub elbows with the locals and it is the cheapest way to get there I think it was $1 or $2 us instead of $30.00 each way cab. The entertainment was very nice it lasted until 10. We met people from all over everyone was very nice. The beach was great soft white sand, the beach staff A++++ Captain Sam and the crew will do anything to make you comfortable at the beach, move your chair, gab a towel, a drink ect. We wandered off and felt safe, the kids went ziplining and saw monkeys, we went horse back riding which the views were breath taking we rode the horses on the beach. I would say for the $ this was the a very good choice, is this a 5 star no, but did we pay the 5 star $$$ no did we get 5 star service yes.... We loved our stay. Don't go by the - reviews you cannot please the picky even at the Ritz Carlton do your research and decide email me if you like. :)

Room Tip: Ocean view room are nice,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We are a family of three, 2 adults and a 15 year old daughter. We visited Barbados for 7 nights.

Some people are saying, yes the hotel is in need of refurbishment but that hardly bothered my family at all. It is big enough to fit everyone so it was comfortable. The staff on the beach at Captain Sam's hut brought drinks and snacks and were always helpful in finding a sun bed.

There was always plenty of food and a wide variety to choose from the buffet.

We did try both the a la carte restaurants but I do believe we should have stuck to the buffet. It just wasn't to our taste, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't amazng either.

The nightly entertainment was a variation of different singers, our favourite being Gravity.

The major problem at the resort is the noise from the construction site next door which is not supposed to end at 9pm. I mean we can tolerate the noise during the day but not at night.

The staff are very friendly but you do get the odd one who can be rude. Other than that few, the staff made you feel very comfortable.

We will return when Sandals is not under construction.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kim200715
Wallkill, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I don't know where these people were staying, but certainly not at Turtle Beach. I am there now and the place is a dump. It's filthy and looks like they have not done a thorough cleaning in years. The room furniture is stained, old and makes you want to think twice before sitting on anything. There are only 3 electrical plugs in the room (all attached to a desk in the small-small living/bedroom quarters). So, if you want to plug in your own hair dryer or curling island they will lend you a 4"x4" mirror to sit at the desk and use. The food is miniscule and no one changes the chair pads so you get a sandy wet pad. The pool area is small and crowded. The snack bar should be closed by the health department. The food is mediocre at best and if you are a decaf coffee drinker you will be handed a digesting Sanka packet. There's no ice in the ice machine by the bar soft drinks and half the time no lemonade in the lemonade canister. The bartenders range from surly to nice so its chance on what you will get. Unfortunately its raining and can't really tell what the water is like because its pretty rough right now. I would love to meet these people who ask for something and they get it right away because I asked for an umbrella and was told they were locked up and unavailable right now. I think my dogs are having a better vacay in the kennel then we are having here because at least they'll get a cookie if they ask (bark) for it. Just got here and can't wait to get home.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank pbteach
Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We are locals who stayed the weekend with my mum and she would tell u a well how much fun she had.

Welcome
As soon as we got to Turtle Beach we were given a warm welcome by the security guard which was extremely sweet:) We were given welcome drinks which were delicious although my mum didn't want any alcohol I had the special cocktail (cant remember the name but it was the green one) which was delicious.

Check in-
Check in was fast and easy we were in our room in no time.

Food-
We unpacked and headed down to lunch where we went to the Chellanio restaurant for the buffet but then we decided to go to Waterfront for a snack. Donna makes the best burger it was so delicious.
The first night we ate at the buffet restaurant and they were so many choices to choose from enjoyed every bite. The first night we were a bit lost when we got to the restaurant but we were greeted by more then one person which made us feel special.
Shout out to Angel, Tonya, Abigail, Kay and a lot more.
Al la Carte at Waterfront the 2nd night service was fast and efficient thanks to all the great staff, Tamisha is really nice I love her the most beautiful pregnant girl u would see :)

Bar-
Please do not change your bar staff they are just to friendly Kevin and Ryan in particular first time I met Kevin he was smiling from ear to ear everyday I see him he doesn't stop smiling at one point I had to ask him if he doesn't stop smiling (which I didn't mind) he made me a drink that every night I had to have this drink all I had to say was "kevin I want my drink" that's it!! Thumbs up!

Entertainment-
Now I am a singer myself and entertainment is a big deal to me so let me say this I can not remember the last time I had so much fun partying the night away mostly enjoyed Gravity and Sunday night with Kiomal (sorry if I spelt it wrong) and the band after that I so did not want to leave.

Room-
We had an ocean view junior suite the view was spectacular!!! The only issue me and my mum had was the shower door only covering half of the shower which resulted in the floor being extremely wet everyday and trying not to fall while getting out cause mat would get soaked as well. I also had an incident where I slipped in the shower not knowing the door swings I held onto it thinking it would hold me I kept my balance but I would have fallen right out the tub which would not have been pretty. We brought it to front desk and the situation was quickly fixed thanks to Philip (security duty manager).

In general either than the small situation we would certainly come back again this time longer cause I almost cried driving away. Turtle Beach is filled with the most amazing friendly and caring staff u would meet I would definitely recommend. Until we meet again!

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was our 2nd time to this resort. I was a bit worried as we had a great time 8 years ago and was worried it may have changed but 8 years later and everything was still excellent.
The hotel is very clean and has everything you will need for a comfortable stay .
The staff are very friendly and hard working nothing is too much trouble( they are constantly on the go , cleaning ,cooking arranging tables etc) . Everything is kept clean and in good condition. The food is excellent and caters to all requirements eg fast food/sandwiches /snacks all day , A la carte if you want to be served or a buffet so you can help yourself. The hotel is only 15 minutes from the airport and is in the lively area of St Lawrence Gap. It is quite a busy hotel with lots of families by the pool so maybe not a good place if you like it quiet but there are plenty of trips you can do around the island or you can visit one of the sister hotels on the west coast for the day. Turtle beach is a great all inclusive resort that I cannot fault and would recommend as a great place for families, friends and couples .

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Eventually booked our return visit after last year's experience..BA this time.
Hotel welcome was underwhelming this year, but we did get the ground floor rooms we requested.
Staff and service very good mostly, though food on some nights disappointing..same leaky shower door (other guests had same problem) still not fixed after 3 attempts.
Rooms are tired and need to be refurbished..lots of flies this year as sea was higher. Minor issues really. Several return families from last year too. Sadly St Lawrence gap pretty dead -killed by all inclusive
hotels. Trouble getting courtesy rooms on leaving
day, which means we will probably be sat waiting in lobby..won't be coming back next year.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Deepak M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was our families first visit to the island of Barbados and definitely not our last. The Turtle Beach is an all-inclusive resort and one of the few on the island. I will break this review down by categories:

Hotel:
The hotel itself is nice and very clean. I was struck on how the staff is constantly cleaning and performing maintenance. The rooms are comfortable and depending on your location, you can have easy access to the pool and beach from your back porch on the ground floor which I found convenient. The ocean is warm and the beach is clean and not crowded (The staff even cleans the seaweed off the beach). There is a water sports cabin where you can get a kayak or boogie board at no charge. Beach towels are offered at the cabin as well. There are 2 pools but they are extremely crowed- it's difficult to get chairs and any space.

Food:
There are three restaurants and a snack bar-

Asiagos restaurant
This is an Italian restaurant and it has a very strict dress code- no shorts, no running shoes and no tee shirts (needs to be a collar shirt) The dress code is strictly enforced and customers not adhering to the policy will be turned away. The food is mediocre and being forced to ware kaki long pants in a humid tropical climate makes the dinning experience more uncomfortable. Moreover, in my opinion, 'fine dining' is a combination of ambiance and good food. The ambiance is somewhat contrived and the food is mediocre

Chelonia restaurant
This is an open air restaurant that allows shorts and tee shirts. The menu is a buffet style with different themes every night. There is entertainment on a nightly basis which enhances an already terrific ambiance. The food quality is fairly consistent night after night but mediocre

Water Front Restaurant
This is another open air restaurant next to the ocean. The scenery is beautiful and the ambience is nice. As with the other restaurants, the food is mediocre; The only exception to food quality is the nights that that the hotel has a BBQ which is served at the Water Front Restaurant- the food is very tasty with a terrific variety

Snack Bar
The snack bar serves pizza, hot dogs and similar fair. It's open all day for a quick snack or lunch (The cheese pizza is homemade with fresh dough- it's excellent)

Staff:
The staff is very friendly and they work very hard (I have travelled to Asia, Europe, USA, Canada and to other Caribbean islands- Never seen people work as hard as the staff at the Turtle Beach Resort) There is a concerted effort to make sure everyone is well served and satisfied. It's worth mentioning again that when the staff is not attending to guests, they are cleaning and preparing

Overall-
The resort is a great place to stay and families will feel safe and comfortable. Barbados is an island of contrast and visitors should take an excursion to explore.

Room Tip: If you want easy access to the beach and pools, get a room on the ground floor
3 Thank Joe_The_Traveller_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#8 of 26 in Saint James Parish
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!