“Turtle Beach Resort”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Burnham, United Kingdom
“Turtle Beach Resort”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The perfect introduction to Barbados! Our very first trip to the Caribbean. 15-23rd august 2014
We arrived and were given room on first floor. Did not like it so asked for room change to ground floor which they did and was perfect. We were not facing the pool but slightly on the side so gave us extra privacy for a ground floor room which we appreciated - our room 106. If we return that is the same room I will ask for!
The service was wonderful. They go out of their way to give you a good holiday experience. The food was fantastic, drinks great ( I'm not a heavy drinker but enjoyed the cocktails rum punch etc.) they looked after my son very well who has dairy allergy. Everything seemed like "no problem".
They did take long to serve hot drinks like tea or coffee - seemed like they waited for kettles to boil, if so, such a place should have an urn with quick access to boiling water - ordering a tea in the aftn was my only frustration...it took Forever!
The hotel was a mixed bag - building wise. The reception area, restaurants, pools were all great. But when you came into your bedroom - it was shabby. Our toilet tank was cracked. The showers flooded the floor area because they simply had not put adequate screening - I highly recommend all the showers have a curtain you can pull across. The cleaning staff cleaned the room on a daily basis which was great but because there was rust, cracks etc the room always looked shabby.
Our patio area needed a clean everyday because of the sand but it was not done regularly enough, maybe once or twice in our whole stay.
The location on the beach was good for us because we find the tranquil beautiful beaches boring. We need waves, this place was good for that. Their water sports centre was good - loved Captain Sam and his team, quite some characters. I wore jelly shoes to keep safe and secure in the sea. My husband didn't and got caught on the coral sea bed a few times. I would highly recommend wearing the shoes at all times as it is deceptive with all the sand but there is still plenty of rock underfoot.
The location is good, plenty of local restaurants nearby but you do not use in this all inclusive becos food is great.
Their 3rd restaurant was set up to be a classy dress up restaurant. I did not enjoy the food maybe my poor selection - ev was too creamy. We had started eating when the waitress saw my footwear. While I was eating She came up and said it was not of the standard - my footwear looked like slippers because there was no back strap but they cost me £40! We didn't repeat this restaurant as the food in the other two was far better and I didn't take any shoes with a back strap.
We had a great holiday at this place, I just hope they have refurbished the rooms by the time we hope to return.

Room Tip: We had my 8 + 10 yrs old kids. Ground floor rooms are perfect as kids (and you) can run in and out o...
1 Thank Ekta-Kaur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

AMAZING! Once you're in the Caribean there should be little difference between resorts and hotels... except this stands out above all others because they have the greatest staff EVER. By the end of day 1 they knew our names, by day 2 they knew our drinks order. A great mix of honeymooners and families and a short taxi ride from OISTINS, the highlight of our trip. A lot guests were returning for the 3rd or 4th time. AND WE WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry K
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We have never been to Barbados before but will go back definitely. Turtle beach hotel has the whitest sand with the turquoise sea as the back drop. Beautiful. We are not big beach lovers but this holiday had us on the beach and in the sea every day. Two Pools was for families with young kids. You could eat and drink all day everyday. Cocktails are the hotel 's specialty banana daiquiris are a must. We didn't like the buffet restaurant too many people eating at once in a large area. The two al a carte restaurants were both great . The waterfront was our favourite with lovely food , fresh fish every day and the quality of the food was fabulous. The water sports guys were fab helping with beds and towels issuing boogie boards , sailing. Only thing you would need to pay for is the jet skiis. The spa on site is small but the massages were fab. Went all inclusive and to a hotel for my daughter to have opportunity to meet other teenagers. She had a great time and a fab friendship group was created. She was safe on site with her friends and she had a better social life on holiday than we did !! A must is swimming with the turtles on a catamaran trip fab day so glad we did it with Small Cats not with virgin holidays! Go... You will not be disappointed. Oh one more thing.....the tree frogs and their volume from dusk till dawn takes a bit of getting used to! But you do!!

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

1 Thank Barbara o
North Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed in June our family of 4. We were upgraded to a larger room because I requested a rollaway bed and only book the smaller room which came with the package and that would not have fit in the room. This was so nice of the manger to do this for me and the room was lovely and spacious and would have cost me so much more. The resort is very nice. The staff from the front guard to the wait staff to the bartenders are all friendly to the beach staff go out of their way to help pr assist you. We enjoyed the buffets, and the restaurant which required reservations. We took the bus to the sister resort and stayed the day and did the water sports which are included with the ai and ate there, you just need to go to guest relations early and sign up they only take 10 per day. I would go over and sit outside there door with my morning coffee and wait until they opened. The bus ride was interesting to say the least you get to rub elbows with the locals and it is the cheapest way to get there I think it was $1 or $2 us instead of $30.00 each way cab. The entertainment was very nice it lasted until 10. We met people from all over everyone was very nice. The beach was great soft white sand, the beach staff A++++ Captain Sam and the crew will do anything to make you comfortable at the beach, move your chair, gab a towel, a drink ect. We wandered off and felt safe, the kids went ziplining and saw monkeys, we went horse back riding which the views were breath taking we rode the horses on the beach. I would say for the $ this was the a very good choice, is this a 5 star no, but did we pay the 5 star $$$ no did we get 5 star service yes.... We loved our stay. Don't go by the - reviews you cannot please the picky even at the Ritz Carlton do your research and decide email me if you like. :)

Room Tip: Ocean view room are nice,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle T
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We are a family of three, 2 adults and a 15 year old daughter. We visited Barbados for 7 nights.

Some people are saying, yes the hotel is in need of refurbishment but that hardly bothered my family at all. It is big enough to fit everyone so it was comfortable. The staff on the beach at Captain Sam's hut brought drinks and snacks and were always helpful in finding a sun bed.

There was always plenty of food and a wide variety to choose from the buffet.

We did try both the a la carte restaurants but I do believe we should have stuck to the buffet. It just wasn't to our taste, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't amazng either.

The nightly entertainment was a variation of different singers, our favourite being Gravity.

The major problem at the resort is the noise from the construction site next door which is not supposed to end at 9pm. I mean we can tolerate the noise during the day but not at night.

The staff are very friendly but you do get the odd one who can be rude. Other than that few, the staff made you feel very comfortable.

We will return when Sandals is not under construction.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kim200715
Wallkill, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I don't know where these people were staying, but certainly not at Turtle Beach. I am there now and the place is a dump. It's filthy and looks like they have not done a thorough cleaning in years. The room furniture is stained, old and makes you want to think twice before sitting on anything. There are only 3 electrical plugs in the room (all attached to a desk in the small-small living/bedroom quarters). So, if you want to plug in your own hair dryer or curling island they will lend you a 4"x4" mirror to sit at the desk and use. The food is miniscule and no one changes the chair pads so you get a sandy wet pad. The pool area is small and crowded. The snack bar should be closed by the health department. The food is mediocre at best and if you are a decaf coffee drinker you will be handed a digesting Sanka packet. There's no ice in the ice machine by the bar soft drinks and half the time no lemonade in the lemonade canister. The bartenders range from surly to nice so its chance on what you will get. Unfortunately its raining and can't really tell what the water is like because its pretty rough right now. I would love to meet these people who ask for something and they get it right away because I asked for an umbrella and was told they were locked up and unavailable right now. I think my dogs are having a better vacay in the kennel then we are having here because at least they'll get a cookie if they ask (bark) for it. Just got here and can't wait to get home.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank pbteach
Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We are locals who stayed the weekend with my mum and she would tell u a well how much fun she had.

Welcome
As soon as we got to Turtle Beach we were given a warm welcome by the security guard which was extremely sweet:) We were given welcome drinks which were delicious although my mum didn't want any alcohol I had the special cocktail (cant remember the name but it was the green one) which was delicious.

Check in-
Check in was fast and easy we were in our room in no time.

Food-
We unpacked and headed down to lunch where we went to the Chellanio restaurant for the buffet but then we decided to go to Waterfront for a snack. Donna makes the best burger it was so delicious.
The first night we ate at the buffet restaurant and they were so many choices to choose from enjoyed every bite. The first night we were a bit lost when we got to the restaurant but we were greeted by more then one person which made us feel special.
Shout out to Angel, Tonya, Abigail, Kay and a lot more.
Al la Carte at Waterfront the 2nd night service was fast and efficient thanks to all the great staff, Tamisha is really nice I love her the most beautiful pregnant girl u would see :)

Bar-
Please do not change your bar staff they are just to friendly Kevin and Ryan in particular first time I met Kevin he was smiling from ear to ear everyday I see him he doesn't stop smiling at one point I had to ask him if he doesn't stop smiling (which I didn't mind) he made me a drink that every night I had to have this drink all I had to say was "kevin I want my drink" that's it!! Thumbs up!

Entertainment-
Now I am a singer myself and entertainment is a big deal to me so let me say this I can not remember the last time I had so much fun partying the night away mostly enjoyed Gravity and Sunday night with Kiomal (sorry if I spelt it wrong) and the band after that I so did not want to leave.

Room-
We had an ocean view junior suite the view was spectacular!!! The only issue me and my mum had was the shower door only covering half of the shower which resulted in the floor being extremely wet everyday and trying not to fall while getting out cause mat would get soaked as well. I also had an incident where I slipped in the shower not knowing the door swings I held onto it thinking it would hold me I kept my balance but I would have fallen right out the tub which would not have been pretty. We brought it to front desk and the situation was quickly fixed thanks to Philip (security duty manager).

In general either than the small situation we would certainly come back again this time longer cause I almost cried driving away. Turtle Beach is filled with the most amazing friendly and caring staff u would meet I would definitely recommend. Until we meet again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,265 reviews

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!