The Halcyon is <5 mins walk from the main resort centre of Europa Sunset Crest ~15mins walk from Sandy Lane and Holetown beaches. Supermarket, Chattel village gift shops and other small malls are ~10 mins walk.
If your not part of a package deal then get an airport taxi (~55-60 BDS) from the airport to Europa Sunset Crest. This is where the main reception is for the Sunset Crest resort. Europa have a minibus which will take you and your luggage to the Halcyon. Journey lasts about 30 seconds! The Sunset Crest area looks like it is a mix of rental and residential accomodation.
Upon arrival they show you how everything works including the token operated aircon. If your from Northern Europe I recommend you buy a couple of tokens (~ 3 or 4 BDS each ) when you check in. Each token lasts about 10 hours. The aircon is on an electric meter so you can make one token last several nights if you want.
Other facilities include a typical safe and a telephone - for which calls within Barbados are free of charge. A TV is included but you only get about 3 watchable channels. Mind you if you've come here to watch TV you've kinda missed the point of coming to Barbados.
It is tempting to describe this accomodation as basic but that sells it short. In all honesty it is better than many hotels and SC accomodation I have stayed at in Europe. The apartment we had was on the upper floor. It was well equipped and included washing up liquid, a dish towel and new cleaning sponge upon arrival. The rooms although not mansion like proportions are comfortably spacious for two people. Probably bigger than some new builds back here in the UK!
The balcony area has a plastic table with 2 plastic chairs. Again this area is actually large enough to be pleasantly usable. Great for birdsong at breakfast or an evening beer with the crickets. (I had no idea the crickets could be so noisy - Brilliant! Really gave it an exotic holiday feel).
There was no bathtub (not that I care) but the shower is bigger than my own and actually had a functional shower curtain and basin which would prevent the water from flooding the bathroom and soaking the bathmat. Euro hotels take note!
If you've got a hire car there is free off street parking for a few cars around the back of the apartments. You can even park in front of the apartments if you want.
Overall Halcyon was clean, pleasant and contributed towards an an enjoyable holiday. I would stay here again.
Some other holiday info...
You can get a free shuttle (a.k.a. taxi) into Bridgetown for duty free shopping. Unless I missed something 3 hours is plenty in Bridge town and Chattel village has the same shops and is a much more pleasant shopping experience.
Atlantis Submarines is a pricey but worthwhile outing especially for non-swimmers and poeple who can't hold their breath and dive 130 ft!
For a more interactive experience try the glass bottom boat Shamon Two (~80 BDS or 40 US Dollars) from Folkestone marine reserve. (~30-40mins walk from Halcyon) Disinfected snorkle equipment and lifejackets included in the price. Yes you really do walk down the seafront back towards Holetown for the beach pickup. But you get to snorkle with turtles and fish over a shipwreck - and its well cheaper than some similar trips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halcyon Palms is an intimate collection of 25 One Bedroom units located in the heart of the West Coast. We offer an affordable option for those wanting to experience the famous platinum coast at an affordable rate.Sister hotel to Travellers Palm we can accomodate families, groups or private getaway for couples. Short stroll away from Travellers Palm. Beautiful poolside view from all rooms. An excellent locstion for that deserved restful unforgettable holiday at this charming intimate resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Halcyon Palm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Palm Hotel Sunset Crest
- Halcyon Palm Barbados/Sunset Crest