My girlfriend and I have just returned from 12 days in Holetown, Barbados and we stayed at an apartment within Halcyon Palm (part of Palm's Resort).
We booked it as a package holiday through Virgin Holidays and were very impressed with how we were treated. We were taken to the resort's reception (located at the sister site Traveller's Palm) to check in. Once completed, they drove us the minute's drive to our apartment and had our luggage delivered a few minutes later. We paid to have a safe in our room which we felt was a good idea, but did not pay to have the air conditioning. However, once in the bedroom, we found that we could turn on the A/C anyway and although we did not have access to a remote control to change the temperature, it still cooled the room. We were never charged for this (usually approx £3 per day).
On the first night we wandered down the road towards the main town and found a restaurant called Just Grillin'. There didn't seem to be any order in which you were served and we were told we had to order our meals at the counter and then collected them ourselves when they called our number out. However, on other occasions, we received table service. However, the food was very good and for two hungry travellers it was a welcome relief.
We would spend most of our days down at the local beach which was always quiet. Sometimes we found we were the only people down there, apart from the locals who would attempt to sell us items. This happened on a daily basis and being so regular we actually almost got to know these people. However, a polite no thank you was enough to see them off and most would smile and say "see you tomorrow" before moving on.
In our apartment we had everything that we needed for what we wanted. We were out all day everyday and simply needed it as base which is what Virgin recommended it for. The maids came everyday and made the beds and a couple of times a week they would completely strip the beds and replace the towels. We also learnt (inadvertently) that they would do the washing up left in the sink, but we preferred to do this ourselves as we felt a little lazy otherwise!
There was no bar at our resort (it was located at Traveller's Palm) but we had a fridge and stocked up on essential items. The local beer is called Banks and is very cheap and very tasty. We also got food items for breakfast and lunch because the restaurants are not overly cheap so we only ate out in the evenings. The standard of all the restaurants was fantastic - lots of fish which is caught locally and prepared very nicely.
We had a pool just a few metres from the apartment and found that it was empty most days. We are both in our 20s and we found we were the youngest couple there, hence it was always quiet and peaceful. The town with the shops was a 10/15 minute walk which was sometimes difficult if carrying shopping in the intense heat, but we managed totally fine without a car.
We did a few trips, booked through the Virgin rep (catamaran trip & swimming with turtles and also a Bajan bus tour which took us all over the island) and were treated brilliantly on both. We were always picked up and dropped off and these trips certainly enhanced our visit.
Our visit coincided with the annual Holetown Festival in February and we made good use of the free concerts, music and displays put on for the locals and tourists.
I would definitely recommend the resort and the town. It is not a top star hotel, but a simple apartment that acts perfectly as a base if you are planning on getting out and exploring. It is a 10/15 minute walk into town, but in the evenings it was cool enough to do this and meant that there was never any noise in the evenings.
We had an absolutely fantastic holiday and I would have no hesitation in returning to Holetown and also to these apartments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halcyon Palms is an intimate collection of 25 One Bedroom units located in the heart of the West Coast. We offer an affordable option for those wanting to experience the famous platinum coast at an affordable rate.Sister hotel to Travellers Palm we can accomodate families, groups or private getaway for couples. Short stroll away from Travellers Palm. Beautiful poolside view from all rooms. An excellent locstion for that deserved restful unforgettable holiday at this charming intimate resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Halcyon Palm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Palm Hotel Sunset Crest
- Halcyon Palm Barbados/Sunset Crest