We stayed at The Colony Club over Christmas and it is beautifully located right on the beach in a very pleasant bay. The ground floor ocean view rooms were literally a few paces from the sand! The people who worked there are fantastic - nothing is too much trouble and they are so friendly - they really do make you feel welcome. I've read other comments about the refurb - maybe our room (a Garden suite on the second floor) hadn't been done yet. It was clean but the air con wasn't working properly - very promptly resolved though when I called about it. The shower/bath was difficult to get in and out of as the shower door stuck and there was the odd mark on the wooden furniture. The hair dryer was a bit 'rusty.' The room lights seemed to have a mind of their own and flickered a lot although when we mentioned this the hotel staff were very prompt in attending to it. Our balcony was lovely over looking one of the many pools the hotel has. The food in the restaurant was fresh with a good selection at breakfast. Lunch on the sunset deck was very nice although we found dinner not as good but then we only eat there once.
We found one annoying thing though and this is not the Hotel's fault. The sun beds on the beach would all be 'taken' by the time we went to breakfast (about 8.30!) I spoke to one of the staff about this who said that he put out the beds every day starting at 6AM and as he put them out people would put their books, sandals etc., on them at that time to secure them!! A few days later I went down to the beach just before 7AM to find the first two rows of sun beds so called 'reserved' by people placing their books etc., on them. Then they would stay empty for many hours which seems unfair. The only way we found to get a sunbed was to get up at 6 AM and do the same as everyone else which doesn't seem right. I would advocate that if a sunbed isn't occupied within two hours of if being 'reserved' then people should be allowed to make use if it. Apart from that a lovely hotel with great staff. A very enjoyable stay. Thank you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "An exclusive retreat with elegance and colonial charm." Where old world charm meets new world standards of quality and comfort. The 96-room Colony Club is the Elegant Hotels Group's flagship property in Barbados with lush gardens, healthy dining options, complimentary watersports and fitness classes, organic garden, WiFi, bespoke tours and more. Ideal for couples and honeymooners seeking an exclusive retreat with impeccable service in a stunning location, Colony Club tempts guests back year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Expedia, Southall Travel, Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TravelUp, Odigeo, Travelbag, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Colony Club by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colony Club Hotel Porters
- Colony Hotel Saint James
- Colony Club Barbados
- Colony Club By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Saint James Parish