“5* memories”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Porters
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“5* memories”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Just returned back from the Fairmont Royal Pavillion.10 night stay.
Went through Kuoni.
Private transfer to the hotel is a must.No hassle.
Arrived at the hotel in good time and met by the fabulous Deidrianna, cold towel and a real rum punch.
Given a tour of the hotel and grounds. Amazing!!
We were then shown our hotel room.Ocean view deluxe 3rd floor. Clean, very well proportioned with views that were breathtaking.
Staff so accommodating.
Food second to none.
Having stayed at The Plaza NY the Fairmont Royal Pavillion is its caribbean equal.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My best friend and I were taking our annual trip-the first time to the carribean too. It was simply wonderful! We were met by a very nice lady at the airport who took us to the car we had reserved ahead of time. Jamshed and Charlene greeted us when we first arrived and they made us feel like long lost friends. We sat down and chatted about what we wanted to do and Charlene recommended a few things we hadn't even thought of and worked things out for us so quick on the spot. I told Jamshed I had Celiac's and he arranged for me to meet Chef Alan later that evening. The chef even walked me around the dinner area to explain what I could eat (mostly everything) and was going to inform the other chefs to have things ready for me for the duration of my stay. He even offered to make whatever I wanted so I could be comfortable in eating at the hotel. Anyone with Celiac's or food allergies can understand how huge of a relief it is to have someone reassure you then actually deliver on what he promises. Charlene is the best concierge hands down-always double and triple checking things and going out of her way. Lorenzo and Ryan are tops in water sports-so energetic. Francois anns Simon always made certain we were okay and we appreciated joking around with Leroy too. Jamshed is a terrific manager and even circled back a few times making certain we were happy. I would recommend a type of flag service for the beach though-people could put up one flag signaling they wanted a drink and also could possibly raise another one to indicate they were not returning to the chairs-sometimes hard to tell if chairs were taken or not. The floats for the ocean are a nice touch! All in all just great!

Room Tip: Top floors are best
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Larsonrso
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We just returned from our first trip to Barbados. We stayed at the Fairmont just last week. I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel! We were welcomed with excitement, a cold towel and rum punch. Everyone at the front was wonderful. We were quickly introduced to the best concierge on the planet, Charlene! She was awesome! She handled all of our excursions with ease and printed everything out for us that evening. After every excursion she checked back with us to make sure we had the best time possible. I vote Charlene for employee of the year! She is so friendly and helpful. Her love for her job instantly shows thru in everything she does. Kudos to the Guest Relations Manager, Jamshed Lateef! He was so nice and very,very helpful. When we checked in my friend explained that she has a wheat allergy and Jamshed immediately contacted the Chef and said he would meet her at the Manager's cocktail party later that evening to talk in detail about the food. Kudos, also to Chef Allen. He was wonderful! He talked to my friend about her allergy and told her he would make sure gluten free food was available at every meal if we chose to eat at the hotel. He also walked her thru the buffet and told her what she could have. You have no idea how much we appreciated this!

The room was gorgeous and looked just like it does on there website. All hotel rooms face the ocean. The view was incredible!

Everyone we came in contact with at the hotel was so friendly and helpful. We got the service we hope for when visiting a Fairmont and then some.

Also have to mention Lorenzo and Ryan in water sports. They were great! Those guys are busy all day and when we walked up to ask if Lorenzo could take us out on a catamaran he didn't hestitate even though it looked like he was getting ready to take a break. We told him we were happy to come back later and he said it was no problem. Also thanks to Francoise was being so nice and helpful! He always wanted to make sure we were having a good time.

Without question we will go back to this hotel. It's worth every penny. No hotel is ever going to be perfect. There will always be things you wish were done a little different. Overall we loved every minute here and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jrickmd
London, England
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My partner Jamie and i have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion whereby we celebrated my 40th birthday.

I booked our trip via a tour operator in January and after booking was concerned about the negative reviews i read on this site. This was also my first trip to the Caribbean and i was interested to know how the restaurants would cope with my partner who is strictly vegetarian - he doesn't eat meat or fish. After viewing the hotels website i emailed the hotel and received a very prompt response from the hotel manager (Wayne) who allayed all of my fears over what i had read, and he also advised me that the Head Chef (Allan) would have no problems catering for my partner.

We arrived at the hotel on the afternoon of my 40th birthday, in the sunshine. We had a very friendly greeting at reception and a lovely rum punch - the first of many! Our room, an Ocean Deluxe was absolutely lovely and certainly had a 'wow' factor as it looked right out over the crystal clear blue sea. And the first thing i did was change into swimming shorts and went down for a swim. No sooner had i got into the water i was called back to the room by my partner. I wasn't happy as i was having a great time splashing around, but when i got back to the room i found that the hotel had circulated a birthday card for me which everyone had signed, and they had sent up a bottle of vintage champagne in a bucket of ice with two glasses! Wow, what a fantastic way to start the holiday!

During the week we ate breakfast and lunch everyday in Cafe Taboras and had evening drinkings in the bar before going out. The food was excellent and there were so many choices it was hard to decide what to have! All of the restaurant staff were very friendly and treated you like old friends!

During the week we went on a few excursions which the concierge desk organised for us and i was very pleased with all of them. They also made dinner reservations for us at Daphne's, Tides, Cin Cin by Sea, The Fish Pot and the Cliff. All of which they confirmed in writing! So thanks to Wendell and his team!

On the Wed, despite the heat, we decided to do the tour of the gardens which was excellent and very informative and in the evening we attended the GM's cocktail party followed by the buffet dinner. Both were excellent and the buffet was amazing - very nice roast rib of beef!

On the Friday evening we ate in the Palm Terrace and Allan (Head Chef) came out to talk to us about the vegetarian options he could do for my partner, which was fantastic! I had fillet steak and he had wild mushroom risotto which he said was amazing!

On our last day we made the most of the watersports facilities and went swimming with turtles, sailing and sunbathing on the rubber mats whilst bobbing up and down on the ocean - all of which we enjoyed!

Unfortunately our week came to an end too quickly and we both wished we were staying for a second week!

Well done to everyone at he FRP! We had an amazing holiday and will definitely be back to see you all again soon!

Room Tip: The Ocean Deluxe rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Last year over Memorial Day weekend my friend and I decided to get away for a little R&R. We arrived in Barbados and, as stated by other Trip Advisor reviewers, the reception was cold at best. We get to our room, the phone doesn't work and there was a plethora of other room issues that we had become friendly with the repairmen. It was no joke - we had no phone the entire time we were there.. now you may ask.. what is the big deal? Well think about it. Being the cleaning staff is not the best either, replenishment of lotions, soaps, towels etc was terrible... so everytime (which was often) you need something you have to walk to the front desk. The hotel was very aware of our displeasure, yet nothing was done about it. We even had a frank (and nice) conversation with the manager on duty one day on the beach, and although very nice, there was no offer of compensation nor did the service of the duration of our stay improve. The beach is gorgeous and quiet, food mediocre at best. Being we did enjoy the charm of the beach and the solitude of the lack of neighbors, we are going to go back again this year for a long Memorial Day weekend to give it one more try being we read the reviews and the GM Wayne seems to really care about his property and am hoping that there is improvement in the room upkeep and the staff's disposition. Stay tuned...we leave tomorrow....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank michnma
London, England
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is all you would expect from Fairmont hotels, a luxurious property with a great location, beautiful grounds and facilities with attention to detail.
We were upgraded to a junior suite with it's own private terrace leading straight onto the beach. The room was beautiful.
We ate in the restaurant for lunch and it was very good of a little pricey but what you'd expect from a 5 star property. Breakfast was very good, buffet style. They also serve a complimentary afternoon tea which was a nice touch. There was also the managers cocktail party on one evening with complimentary nibbles and champagne.
Most of the stafff were very friendly and helpful particularly the pool staff. The reception staff were OK but a little off hand a times.
Overall a great hotel where I'd definately stay again given the funds!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Traveller1012
Val d'Or, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I love Fairmonts Hotels and over the years have stayed at a dozen of them throughout Canada and the U.S. The Royal Pavilion does not feel like a Fairmont at all. The rooms are nice enough, the view from every room is gorgeous (as any view on the ocean always is). We had a deluxe room and it was nice, bright, clean, adequate. No wow factor whatsoever.
The pool area again, adequate. Not a huge amount of attention from the staff to keep up with dirty tables.
The beach area, adequate.
Overall....yawn!!! adequate.
The restaurants were an issue for us. There are 2 restaurants, the one with a casual and smaller menu and an other with a larger menu. We arrived on a Sunday and the larger restaurant was closed every night until the last night of our stay during which the hotel held a bit of a celebration and turned it into a buffet evening. We had to make do with the smaller menu every morning, noon and dinner and it didn't take long to get tired of it.
All in all, I was happy to leave when we did and I don't think we will return. The price is just not justified by the property, service or food.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SleeplessInAbitibi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porters
The House by Elegant Hotels
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Fairmont Royal Pavilion? Share your experiences!