“great as ever”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Porters
norwich uk
“great as ever”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

two weeks at the royal is not enough!!! third visit end october into first week november and it is as excellant as ever,
the relaxing atmosphere here is what we like , nothing too much trouble for the staff. excellant management which are always in attendance to meet everybody and ensure a great time is had by all.
good food, beautiful beach, lovely people what more do you want??

special thanks to catherine, francine, patrick, crystal, for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: all beachfront all good
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nickandee
RoyalPavilionHotel, Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Nick&Dee,

It was an absolute pleasure to have you back with us. Thank you for kind words and appreciation.

Our team here at Fairmont Royal Pavilion always strives to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and your appreciation will definitely encourage them to do it even better.

We look forward to see you soon with us again. Meanwhile if I could be of any help, please let me know.

Director of Operations & F&B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I am very late in writing this review. I stayed with my best friend for a girl's weekend at the end of May. The resort is located on a beautiful stretch of beach and all of the rooms are ocean-facing. The rooms are updated, well-mailntained, comfortable and very clean. The staff at the resort was wonderful--always friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Loved the afternoon tea. Don't miss snorkeling with the turtles--no need to pay for an operator that approaches you on the beach--the hotel watersports person brings a group down the beach each afternoon at no charge.

I will definitely return to this resort...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hanne13
Dear Hanne13,

Thank you for your review and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our services. Afternoon Tea is definitely a highlight and you are absolutely right about the Turtle trip. We recommend all our guests to try the turtle trip at least once during the stay.

Director of Operations & F&B
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I often stay in Fairmont hotels as the standard is constantly high. As a regular visitor to Barbados and having normally stayed at Accra in Christchurch, we opted this time to stay at the Royal Pavilion instead. We were a little apprehensive as the reviews were mixed, with very positive comments about the service and a few negatives focused on the standard of the rooms. To add to this I wasn’t sure if the beach was as nice as Accra, which is really beautiful. The photos didn’t give the best indication.
The great service was evident as soon as we exited the taxi. Efficient, friendly and welcoming! The reception is fine, a little average but the complementary glass of Champaign and comfortable seating was all that was required. In no time at all we ushered to our room in the first building and on the top floor. The room was spacious, clean, well equipped and like all the rooms had a wonderful view. Every room faces the sea. Our bed was large and comfortable, there were 2 armchairs, a table, loads of drawers, lots of hanging space and the bathroom had both bath and shower.
A number of other nice points without boring you with too much detail are as follows. The gardens are beautiful; restaurants comfortable with sea views, the gym is ok but small, the beach is not crowded, claim waters with wonderful sea life and the hotel provide free water sports equipment. The afternoon tea is a nice touch although I don’t think scones should contain chocolate chips. Sacilege!
The positive reviews about the staff were bang on. Everyone was super friendly (other than the guy making the eggs at breakfast, he was consistently grumpy). It was evident that some of the staff had been there years and that customers came back every year and were greeted as old friends. For us, the service was what really made the difference from this holiday been good to it being great. We want to go back and also thank all the people for taking so much care and making us feel very welcome.
I do have to point out one or 2 things that we didn’t find quite so favourable. One was that to go anywhere you need transport. Taxis from the airport are not too expensive but the fare back is much more and local trips by cab are London prices. I would recommend renting a car; it would have been cheaper for us to do this than take cabs everywhere. But please note that the location is good, it isn’t far too many shops and restaurants. The other is that the food was pretty average. Breakfast is very good with a wide choice but the lunch and dinner a bit expensive and just so so. This is a personal opinion but I’m not a fan of being in a foreign country and being served Italian food. I’m in the Caribbean surrounded by sea, the fish is amazing and I am presented with Pizza, why? You can’t do it as well as the Italians; stick to what you know and use the resources that are so good and on your doorstep.
Our experience was wonderful. Our only complaint was that it wasn’t long enough. This is a wonderful place to relax.

Room Tip: Ground floor appeared to be perfect for families our room on the 3rd floor in the building closest t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Antony C
RoyalPavilionHotel, Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Anthony C,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with a detailed feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and its services.

Our staffs are our real assets and we appreciate your positive feedback about them. Your appreciation definitely acts as a morale booster for us.

We look forward to see you back soon and if I could be any further assistance, please let me know.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was my first time to Barbados, so I really did not know what to expect. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. The flight from the United States was easy, with a direct flight from Miami straight to Barbados. The hotel had a representative there that escorted us through customs quickly, which was an added bonus. From the airport it was approximately a 30 minute drive to the hotel.

The hotel itself is relatively small with all rooms facing the water. We had a suite, so we literally walked off the deck straight to the beach. The room had everything we could ask for and met all of our expectations for a Fairmont hotel. There is beach service for drinks and food, along with all non-motorized water activities included if you desire. The beach is on the west coast, so the sunsets can be absolutely beautiful.

There are two restaurants on property that honestly exceeded my expectations. The restaurants do close at 9:00, but there is late night room service if needed. The service can be a little slow throughout the hotel, but they will do everything they can to fulfill any requests that you may have.

Our desire on this trip was complete relaxation, and the Fairmont accomplished that completely. One warning for someone coming here. We were told once the sun goes down, it's like a light switch turning off. They were not kidding. It is one of the darkest hotels I have ever stayed in, but that goes for the entire island! We did leave the resort one night to go shopping and to eat and found it very dark there also. Although it is very safe, I can see that being a little intimidating to someone who is not used to such a dark environment. If you do decide to leave the property there are two buses that you can take. I highly advise you to take the yellow bus as it is an experience all by itself.

If you are looking for a trip for complete relaxation, where you literally walk off your patio onto the beach, then this is a great place to come.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Edgar L,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and its services. You are absolutely right about the resort’s gorgeous location and amazing sunset which our guests get to see from their rooms.

Stockholm
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We have previously stayed at The House and Sandy Lane but this hotel is far more charming. The staff clearly enjoy working here and this reflects on the overall atmosphere. We stayed in the recently refurbished suites on the ground floor with direct access to the beach. The beach is fantastic and the water was crystal clear. The room was clean and spacious. The food in the restaurants is pretty good, other restaurants outside the hotel are however definitely worth a visit. Unfortunately, room service menu food was under par, we have a small baby and had to eat in our room several times. When we instead ordered food from the restaurant menu, the food was better. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bettanjo
Dear Bettanjo,

We have noted your comment about limited Room Service menu and I am happy to let you know that we have worked on this menu since then and now this offers a much better variety to choose from.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My sister and I stayed at this resort in October. From the onset, our stay was fabulous! The staff including Kevin, Charlene, and Roselle ensured that we had the time of our lives. Our check in was delayed mildly and we received a note of apology, as well as a lovely snack! I had an ankle injury prior to our trip and the staff sat us close to the buffet and asked me every time that I saw them, if we needed anything. The beach is beautiful and as peaceful as you want it to be. The afternoon tea is a great touch. The food is tasty, the correct temperature, and has tons of variety. We loved our room and might suggest that the property consider having other bed configurations, in addition to the king size! The Sunday buffet has all that a foodie desires! We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Professor OT,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and its services. We also thank you for recognizing our staffs for their efforts.

We have added a great variety to our dining program and we intend to improve it even further. We appreciate your feedback about it.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Having visited Crystal Cove earlier in the year which was pretty good, we fancied going a shade more upscale with our next trip to Barbados and the the Fairmont didn't disappoint. The room, whilst not massive was very clean and offered great views out to sea. The bed was extremely comfortable and it was a struggle to get out of it in the morning. The staff were a little standoffish, if polite at first but as we became more known as regular faces around the hotel, some of the team turned out to be really lovely people. The pool was OK but the beachfront was marvellous. The food offered was of a great standard whether leisurely breakfasts or evening dining in the restaurant. All in all it was a great stay and we would seriously consider coming back one day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peelthestain
Dear Peelthestain,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and its services. Our rooms definitely have a great location; also we firmly believe that our staffs are our real assets who are eager to any length to ensure that our guests are taken care of.

Director of Operations/ F&B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porters
The House by Elegant Hotels
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Fairmont Royal Pavilion? Share your experiences!