“A very special hotel”

Fairmont Royal Pavilion
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Porters
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived and were met by the lovely, Charlene, we had an amazing time. Every member of staff was friendly and really helpful.
We had a great dive with turtles with Kevin who was so informative and fun.
We have stayed many places but this has been totally wonderful in all ways and we will return.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Lynne0171
RoyalPavilionHotel, Director of Operations/F&B at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Lynne0171,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We appreciate you taking time out to write a review about your recent trip. Charlene and Kevin are indeed great colleagues and your appreciation will definitely motivate them to continue their good job.

Once again sincere thanks and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Royal Pavilion

Reviewed 18 August 2014

A great location on arguably the best beach on this stretch of St james .

We have stayed here now a few times .The staff couldn't be more helpful and were first rate but the hotel needs investment .Rooms ,common parts and watersports all need upgrading and are looking tired.We stayed here with friends who had a 5 year old- all the promises on the web site of a Kids Club turned out to be non existant. Given its enviable location and beach it could be something very special.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Greeny18
RoyalPavilionHotel, Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Greeny18,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to know that overall you enjoyed your time with us. We have noted your comments about upgrading the Public Areas and please be assured that it is being planned and will be executed in near future.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and hope that you and your family enjoyed your time in Barbados,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The staff is very nice, and albeit the service is not at a New York City pace one should not expect more speed I would think. As they say " When in Rome...." I really appreciated the free guided turtle snorkel tour, complementary from the hotel. That was really a nice touch. But the a la carte breakfast here was a real disappointment. I had English Breakfast with some sort of mushy black sausage that tasted really bad. Slow service. Maybe it was our fault for coming off of the regular buffet time, because everything was right on tack for the BBQ Lunch. The lunch buffet included grilled ribs and shrimp done fresh on the pool deck with a live steel drummer playing music. That was actually a pretty good experience. I guess my issue in not giving a 5th star was that I have been to other Fairmont hotels and expected more... Like having a grand dinning area (of which they have but don't use), beach food and bar service where they check on you regularly (of which they might have but they are un-attentive about), and overall needing a more prompt waiter staff (which might be just my impression). Expect to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours for an a la cart meal... And maybe a few points not of the hotel's fault for example: The beach was long but also narrow at 10-15 meters from hotel to waters edge. This is common in this area I think despite the calm waters. A bit narrow I thought for a major resort. A nearby hotel appears to have trucked in sand to add to the beach front and it gives a totally different feel. Also, All night there are tons of frog chirping so loud that it sounds like a flock of birds singing in the trees. You got to love nature in all of its forms of course, but I was glad to be on the third floor because of the noise. Maybe it was just me. I am Spoiled a bit I know. I have seen rates that would imply the Ritz Carlton. I personally would never pay top dollar for this place, but if you get a good deal it is probably worth it. This is an above average hotel, but with a bit more TLC and attention to prompt Servive it could be even better.

Room Tip: Get room 326. It is in the corner and has a view on two sides of the terrace.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wayne678

Dear Wayne678,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our Sunday Lunch with live Steel Pan music. We apologize for any hardships you endured and appreciate you sharing your feedback. Your comment about more prompt service on beach and in the restaurant has been noted and will ensure it is followed up.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed 10 nights with 5 of my kids. We had 3 x beach front suites.

Location is perfect, beach is great and most staff friendly. But that's about where it stops.

Rooms are tired and need renovating. Cigarette burns in curtains and sofas in 2 of the rooms. They put a plastic sheet on top of the mattress, so if you wake up in a puddle of sweat, that will be your issue. The hotel actually reminds me of the 80's and not in a good way. The restaurant for breakfast is old, limited selection of food, and anything not on display is charged extra. We had the Sunday buffet lunch. Again, food selection was just about "ok" but desert table offered 3 choices: dried cheesecake, hard brownie and what looked like fruit left over from breakfast. If you wanted ice cream, it was extra.

We had butler service. We saw them 4 times during our stay. Cleaning our patio area, virtually non existent. I smoke, and it took 4 days to bring an ashtray. It's been emptied 3 times in 6 days. The swimming pool is filthy. Water very dirty and for a 5* hotel, you would expect something MUCH better. We did not see any activities whatsoever.

I always check the comments on trip advisor, and chose this hotel because of the reviews. But I'm sorry, If this is 5* then somehow the rating system in Barbados is different to the rest of the world or I simply stayed at a different Fairmont Hotel.

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank redwallguy
RoyalPavilionHotel, Director of Operations/F&B at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear redwallguy,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any hardships you endured and appreciate you sharing your feedback. This is always helpful to us as we strive to improve and provide exceptional experiences to our guests.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Spent 3 nights with my family at this excellent Barbados hotel.

Efficient pickup and transfer (pre arranged with hotel) from airport. Greeting on arrival was warm, professional and just really friendly - got things off to a great start.

Hotel is on a great strip of beach with nice clean sea. Facilities are good, breakfast is good with plenty of selection and lunch has good choices. Staff are very friendly and always eager to help which included cleaning staff, restaurant, front desk and watersport staff.

I usually stay with Starwood hotels wherever I go but this hotel has made a very favorable impression on me for Fairmont - well worth considering if you are looking at Barbados, we had a great time and strongly recommend it

Hard to pick out anyone from the staff as all were uniform ally great but Charlene at the concierge was excellent

Heartfelt thanks to all at the hotel

Room Tip: All rooms face beach. If you want to walk out on to beach then get a ground floor one
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Amex Traveler,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Fairmont Royal Pavilion

I am pleased to note that our services and facilities were up to your satisfaction. Your positive feedback about the hotel is deeply appreciated and has been communicated to all the members of our team.

It was indeed a pleasure having you at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

With best regards

Director of Operations & F&B

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for two weeks in this hotel, and had a generally good holiday. The hotel is neocolonial in style, and reasonably new. The rooms all face the sea, and are pretty comfortable. All have convenient adjoining rooms excellent for families. They are clean and well equipped, with tea/coffee making, safes, wifi, and decent baths/showers. The views over the sea are excellent.

Also very good is the beach which is much wider than many on the Barbados west coast, where some are very minimalist.

The routine of the hotel is simple - buffet breakfast, with an egg/omelet station, bacon sausages, beans, tomatoes and an extra that changes each day. There are cereals some breads, fruits, and some salmon. Given Barbados's fishing credibility it would have been nice to see some more varieties of fish at breakfast, perhaps smoked, but I am being picky. Service is a little haphazard in the restaurant, and this would be my main criticism I think. The staff are nice and do try to be helpful. There is a bar/lunch menu, which I though was a but limited, but ok. Evening meals alternate between themed nights and normal - the West Indian theme being particularly disappointing. Otherwise the food was reasonably but not inspiring. There is a managers buffet which is B$140 which is nice once but identical week on week - it is held in a nice second restaurant, which is oddly underused. Prices are reasonable by west coast restaurant standards - about £50 per head per night.

There is a nice pool, though it has fallen a bit behind some places in not being infinity. Some guests had a bit of a tendency to grab the best loungers with the early placement of a sandal or cap which was irksome, especially when they did the same on the beach and left one or the other unused for most of the day. Though public the beach is pretty quiet, and certainly is no scrum, with a floating island to swim to 20m or so out. All non motorised water sports are free, including twice daily trips to swim with turtles just to the north end of the hotel - the water sports guys hand feed them to ensure their presence. Very cool and the turtles are fearless and calm. On the beach staff will bring you drinks and cool towels - civilised.

The hotel is clearly well run. I had some laundry issues - my fault mainly in the end, but when I bumped into the manager and mentioned them, he already knew all about it - I though this indicated good basic systems and escalation.

The hotel does seem to have quite a lot of repeat guests - a good thing although this has led to some cliques of those who visit at the same time year on year.

At Christmas time I understand the hotel does not take children, and I suspect is the poorer for this - there is a rope into the sea and the clientele rather elderly I understand.

It is a good hotel, and if I went back to Barbados I would not be unhappy to stay their again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SimonBlahBlah
RoyalPavilionHotel, General Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you kindly SimonBlahBlah! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Reviews like yours are invaluable to future travelers and we couldn’t be more grateful.

We apologize for any hardships you endured in the restaurant and appreciate you sharing your feedback. This is always helpful to us as we strive to improve and your notes are very useful.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We hope to welcome you back in the future,

Adam Knight

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Had a great time at this hotel. Services and staff were very accommodating and friendly. One of the best places to visit in Barbados. We will definitely consider staying here again when we visit......

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Ismar A

Thank you kindly Ismar A! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Reviews like yours are invaluable to future travelers and we couldn’t be more grateful.

Your compliments toward our team are much appreciated. We agree one hundred percent!

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Adam Knight

Also consider these accommodations in or near Porters
The House by Elegant Hotels
#4 of 26 in Saint James Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Fairmont Royal Pavilion? Share your experiences!