The Sonnenalp is an absolutely fabulous place to stay. The location is beautiful, with Alpine views all around. However, because the area is rural and there are many farms, there may be an odor of manure at times.
The hotel and its rooms are designed and decorated in the Bavarian-Tyrolean style (frankly, I cannot tell the difference) and are well appointed and equipped. The pools are fabulous. The indoor pool is free form and leads to another free form outdoor pool (heated water, of course), and there is an additional large lap pool for the more athletically inclined. The hotel amenities are first-rate, and the staff are uniformly cordial and helpful. The restaurant is superb. We had half-pension and ate so heartily at breakfast that we never bothered with lunch.
This was our second visit to the Sonnenalp and it exceeded all of our already high expectations.
Of course, the Sonnenalp is pricey but in my opinion is well worth the cost.
One tip for golfers: if you choose the Oberallgau course, be sure to reserve a cart. This course is the prototypical mountain course, with huge ups and downs to the terrain. Normally I like to walk a golf course, but the Oberallgau is hard on the legs. When we arrived and saw the terrain, we asked for a golf cart but found that there are not enough carts available for all the golfers and we had not made a reservation. I won’t make that mistake again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury with warms & tradition A wonderfully friendly family ambiance coupled with first-rate service. Comprising the ultimate in luxury, the resort combines exclusivity with warmth and harmony. Make holiday dreams come true at Allgäu’s five-star Resort Sonnenalp where steadfastness and tradition meet the 21st century. The Sonnenalp treats each and every guest like royalty which is probably why eighty percent of visitors to this five-star resort in the heart of the Allgäu come back time and time again. Whilst offering a fabulous range of things to do our Alpine hotel exudes homely charm full of warmth and cosiness. World-class wellness and golf and creative star-rated cuisine combine with a range of family fun second to none. Set amidst the most picturesque landscape at the foot of the Allgäu Alps, the Sonnenalp is an all-year-round destination that will delight gourmets one and all. We look forward to warmly welcoming you to our hotel. The Fäßler family ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sonnenalp Hotel And Resort
- Sonnenalp Hotel Ofterschwang
- Sonnenalp Resort Germany/Ofterschwang, Bavaria