“Wildlife Wonderland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Linyanti Reserve
Wilderness Safaris Savuti Camp
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Our experienced safari friend recommended Botswana as the best for game viewing and she wasn't wrong! In our 5 nights in the country, we saw all but rhinos of the Big Five and many others as well. Here at Savuti, our highlight was seeing a pack of wild painted dogs (nearly extinct) tracking its prey..an unsuspecting impala. To see how this group of wild animals share their kill within the pack was (a bit gory, yes, but..) amazing. But then to see the hierarchy of power within the animals of the bush when a lone hyena howled at the dogs until other hyenas came from every direction and together, fought the dogs for their prey (with our land rover sitting in the middle of the fight!). The dogs did all the work and the hyenas got the impala! Once our adrenalin slowed down, we couldn't believe what we had witnessed! Our other animal viewings were much calmer, but wonderfully awe-inspiring. Our guide was adept at tracking and finding much to see, but tended to be quiet which was hard to read at times after our previous guide who filled us with non-stop information about life in the bush..this was a bit of a disappointment. The setting at Savuti was beautiful on the water and the rooms spacious and luxurious. The food was good though not great and the staff helpful, but not overly friendly and warm (as at Chitabe). Had Savuti been the first camp we stayed at with no comparison point, I may not have been as critical, but Chitabe was Camp was exceptional. While we didn't have a bad experience here, I'm not sure we would pick this camp to return to.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank HokieGal30

Reviewed 2 May 2013

In March my husband and I traveled to Namibia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. It was our second trip to Africa, and we stayed in 5 different camps. Unfortunately, our experience at Savuti does not seem to mirror many of the reviews here. While still lovely, out of the 5 camps we enjoyed on this trip, I would rate Savuti 5th due to the service.
First, I should say that the setting, tented room and wildlife here are absolutely first rate. The accomodation is just beautiful and spacious, overlooking a scenic bend in the channel out front. At night we were serenaded by chirping frogs, toads and hippos.
Our experience with wildlife was exciting. We were thrilled to see a large pack of wild dogs, a pride of lion with small cubs, elephant, exceptional bird life and much more. Water activities were not available due to the time of year, but we did not miss them.
In comparison to other camps we visited, the food here was average. Perfectly acceptable, but no meal in particular was memorable. Our guide was very knowledgeable and talented, but did not seem to go out of his way to be helpful. He seemed to be slightly out of sorts with us. For a minor example, in other camps, if a guide noticed a guest loaded with gear when climbing into the range rover, he or she would automatically offer a hand. Not so in this case for the 2 days we were here. That seemed to be the prevailing attitude of the management of the camp.
While not specifically lacking in service, no one (other than the table help or less senior staff who were great) seemed to go out of their way, or be genuinely interested in the guests who were present in camp. More of a laissez faire sense of service was my impression. It seemed like they have so many guests routinely that exceptional service wasn't necessary - the people come, and the people go.
We were very spoiled by the wonderful food, friendliness and "can't do enough for you" attitudes we encountered elsewhere, so this review is in comparison to some pretty exceptional places. In truth, every place has an off day or two, and some guests fit in better one place than another.
Savuti is beautiful and the wildlife was plentiful. I hope my impression was the exception rather than the rule.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tkdbb
WildernessSafaris, Manager at Wilderness Safaris Savuti Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback which we value greatly. We are sorry to hear that there were a couple of points that made your stay less than exceptional, but thrilled that your wildlife experience and accommodations exceeded your expectations. Savuti certainly is a wonderful camp and area.

In response to some of your feedback, we would like to inform you that we have recently employed a qualified Food and Beverage Manager whom we are confident will assist in enhancing the food offering, service and attention to detail. We are sorry that this has been subsequent to your visit.

This entire feedback has been addressed with senior operations, camp management and guides. We will ensure that the management of the camp is continually of a high standard, that service is always a priority and attention to detail is paramount when hosting our guests.

We do believe that this type of feedback is an exception, and not the rule as stated, and hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

The staff at Savuti welcomed us while the visiting elephants trumpeted from between the rooms and squirrels ran along the walkways.The staff were friendly, professional and nothing was too much trouble.They also all seemed to have valuable knowledge about the environment and nature.
We arrived in our room the first night to find candles and a bottle of champagne beautifully arranged on the floor.The housekeeping staff left us an anniversary message on our bed on the second day.
The kitchen staff and chef Provided excellent meals and brunches were beautifully presented and as good as in a large top hotel.The lodge is solar powered.
We chose to not participate in some of the game drives because we wanted to spend more time in the lodge itself.The river and the animals that visit the lodge provide for some laid back viewing from either your room's veranda, the deck or the lounge.The herds of elephant that visit the camp daily make themselves at home and provide a close-up experience that we will never forget.The lounge has a lot of books that are worth browsing on a hot afternoon and there is always a staff member passing by, offering drinks and making sure that guests are comfortable.
Romantic dinners outdoors with kerosene lamps and fireside breakfasts in the dark of dawn are some of the special moments that we'll take away with us from this place in the bush.This is a place that is worth revisiting someday soon.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne and Mari K
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Savuti – The nicest accommodations of the 4 lodges during my trip. Very nice accommodations including electricity in the rooms and a great view of the Savuti Channel from each room. I could see elephants across the channel regularly. Had one elephant stop by to have lunch next to my front porch (within 5-10 feet) one afternoon. Went on a nice late afternoon boat trip and got to check out some hippos.

The staff was great and very friendly. I spent 3 nights at each of my camps except this one. I was only at Savuti for 2 nights, but wished I could had stayed one more. I don’t feel I gave it enough time to do it justice. Still, I got to see many lions, hippos, zebra, wild dogs, giraffe and LOTS of elephants! I got to see lions feeding on a small dead elephant. That was quite interesting. One afternoon, a herd of elephants wandered into camp and I was able to get quite close to them for some great pictures. The elephants were pretty mellow in this area as long as you kept a reasonable distance from them (10-20 feet).

My one small complaint about Savuti was that they did not use a tracker on game drives as all my other camps did. Now, our guide seemed to be very good at spotting game and even small animals while driving, but I have to think we might have missed some things that we wouldn’t have missed had they used a tracker. I don’t know if this is the norm though. Maybe they were just understaffed when I was there.

One of the highlights of Savuti was a walking safari. It was about a 3 mile hike for 1.5 hours. Our guide, Silas, was very knowledgeable. We heard lions roaring for much of our walk. He said it was nothing to worry about until at one point, he stopped, told us to get behind a fallen tree and sure enough… a lion wandered by about 3 minutes later. Luckily, it was far enough away that it paid us no attention.

All in all, a very good experience. If you prefer nicer accommodations, this is an especially good choice. Pictures and videos of my trip are available online. There is also a video of my room accommodations. Search photo site smugmug for "taxguyla" and check the safari gallery or contact me for the exact address. I hope my review is helpful to you. Joe

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Taxguyla
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at this camp. Our villa was further down the boardwalk which we actually liked as it was a little more private and had great wildlife viewing given its slight removal from the main tented areas. We thought the room was good and the view was spectacular. The deck actually overhangs the Savuti Channel. One day we saw about 40 elephants cross the channel directly in front of our tent. Wildlife viewing was excellent. We saw wild dogs hunting, lions on several occasions including two up close hunting scenes where I was able to capture a lion in ful flight with one paw in the air just behind a fleeing buffalo. Lucky was our guide and he was very good. We did find the manner in which the guides here handled the two vehicle limit to not be as good as other camps but it was a minor issue for sure. I would reccomend this camp as a location to spend an extra night and a great spot if you want to take a day where you dont do two game drives but rather relax a little more and hang around the camp with some coctails and a book as the relaxing and beautiful setting and views were the best we saw.

Room Tip: We stayed in #6. Longer walk but great views and privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank asheahan
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights, after spending 3 nights in the Delta at a different company's camp. Savuti blew us away. The location on the channel is absolutely incredible—on more than one occasion we watched elephants crossing the water from our deck. The tents are a bit closer together than at our other camp, where we felt we had more privacy, but that would be my only complaint. Accommodations are nice and super clean—I have a serious bug phobia, but never worried about wearing shoes to the bathroom at night. (We were there in winter though, so it may be different another time of year!)

The highlight though, is the wildlife. Our guide, Ace, was incredible. We saw a huge group of wild dogs one day and then the next he tracked a pride of lions in the bush for 2 hours. Just as we were beginning to give up, there they were, sleeping off the effects of a big kill—the carcass half eaten. In between the dogs and the lions, we saw dozens of elephants. We also took a boat ride one afternoon and saw hippos, more elephants and dozens of birds. It's just a beautiful place—and pretty much private: we only ever saw one other Land Rover from another camp. (We didn't want to be at a place where 8 cars can descend on one sighting, so this was important to us.) We enjoyed our stay here more than in the Delta and felt that the camp management really cared that their guests got the most out of their stay. We would highly recommend Savuti to anyone!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xyztravel
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Unbelievable place and truly amazing.

I would highly recommend this camp and you will NOT be disappointed. My wife and I had very high expectations and they were all exceeded.

The only thing we felt that was lacking was a person or persons in charge.

No major complaints on anyone however they had a routine and they didn't like changes to that agenda. They certainly met our needs but maybe not as willingly as some of the other camps we visited. We rated Savuti #2 of the camps we visited.

One last thing; our guide "Lets" was more than amazing and we were blessed with an almost never seen experience. A kill by a pride of 8 lions against a herd of 9 Buffalo. It took 3 1/2 hours and our guide experience and patience made all the difference.

Room Tip: They are all amazing, we were lucky and had room # 2. THe best in the house and right next to the c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
#16 of 29 in Moremi Game Reserve
Camp Moremi
Camp Moremi
#4 of 29 in Moremi Game Reserve

Been to Wilderness Safaris Savuti Camp? Share your experiences!