“Okay lunch”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cairnbaan
Glasgow
“Okay lunch”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stopped here for lunch on our way to Carradale. We had venison burgers which were reasonable if a little overdone but I was disappointed with the McDonalds' style frozen chips as I thought they would have made their own. It was just food but perhaps we didn't make a good choice or perhaps they don't bother so much when it's off season. The service was friendly if not particularly fast but we weren't in a hurry so that didn't matter. I wouldn't stop here again as it really wasn't worth the detour.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Met up with some friends from Cairnbaan for a meal and found the staff were friendly, food was excellent very good value, shame there was no mussels available but would still recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Ardrishaig, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Looking to eat in lochgilphead area can be something of a challenge.We decided to go to Cairnbaan Hotel.
The whole thing went from bad to worse in no time at all. The staff on the night were unattentive,slovenly and seemed to be totally unused to the trade in which they were working.
Presentation of the food was what we then expected,there were no redeeming features,infact I was amazed that over four main dishes there were three different types of deep fried chip.How can the number one hotel restaurant in Lochgilphead get it so wrong.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jim m
Hawes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Went with a party of 8 for a 90th birthday party. Food was excellent, staff young, helpful and enthusiastic, and hotel-made cake was moist, tasty and well iced.
I do not eat gluten or dairy, often a trickery combination which challenges many restaurants but Cairnbaan was totally un phased and even had an extra suggestion, not on the menu, for something for me (but I ate the fish which is excellent.)
We were staying with relatives in Lochgilphead so have no opinion about the rooms but a rating was demanded so please ignore my score for rooms.

• Stayed January 2012
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The hotel had great food,helpful staff and an interesting location.

Room Tip: Room 7 was very comfortable
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RICHIEP_12
Scotland
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed at the Cairnbaan for 2 nights in November 2011 for a family wedding reception being held there. The 'special' wedding rate quoted to us was, including breakfast, £95 per night per couple (£85 for single in double room; £79.50 for single in single room)..........even at this lower rate we felt it was overpriced comaperd to other hotels we have stayed in at similar costs.

When I initally contacted the hotel by email to enquire about prices it took them 4 days to respond, then when I emailed to place a booking I still hadn't heard anything back after a further 4 days.........after sending another email I eventually got a confirmation........to be honest if we weren't attending a wedding reception here I would probably have given up by this stage!

The hotel is in a lovely location by the Crinan Canal, the staff are welcoming and friendly. The waiting staff are young, they are very pleasant however their inexperience does show through.

The wedding reception was excellent - very well organised and professionally done by the owner Darren.......from what I saw I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this venue for a wedding reception location. The wedding meal was superb, large portions and very well cooked, everyone seemed pleased.

The bar area is very cosy and welcoming. For the wedding party I think a few of the guests liked to have this quieter bar area to enjoy.

My impressions of the hotel are that it is in need of updating, the decor is tired looking and I'd say it is beginning to look run down in places (peeling paint, stained, worn carpets etc)............it's not terrible, but it is noticeable.......if the room costs were not so high this probably wouldn't be so much of an issue, but when you are charging high rates I think the effort should be returned in keeping up the appearance of the hotel.

We had a double room on the ground floor, the room was a good size with a large bathroom (no separate shower cubicle - just a shower over the bath). The room was clean and there were tea/coffee/biscuits available. Outside of the hotel there were plenty parking spaces available.

We didn't eat an evening meal in the restaurant as we were eating with relatives nearby however the menu looked very inviting! Lots of local produce and an abundance of enticing seafood choices!

The best bit of our hotel stay for me was the breakfast! I had the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and it is the best I've ever tasted!! Delicious!! The only downside is that the breakfast room was quite cold in the mornings, although there was a calor gas heater in the room to try and help.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Cairnbaan but we probably wouldn't stay here again as we feel there are better hotels for similar money...........we would however stop in on the way past for a breakfast or meal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a canal view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lotrov
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Been to this hotel on many occasions now due to working in the surrounding area and have always been met at reception by friendly and helpful staff. Rooms have always been spotless and warm, the restaurant has a great menu and the food is good too. Pity they can't do anything about the pouring rain!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairnbaan
Allt-Na-Craig
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,375 reviews
Crinan Hotel
Crinan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crinan

Been to Cairnbaan Hotel? Share your experiences!