“Disappointing”
Review of Cairnbaan Hotel

Cairnbaan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cairnbaan
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Having dined in the Cairnbaan Hotel restaurant in April last year and found it an excellent experience with a excellent meal and lovely ambiance, we dicided to have a couple of nights stay and took up their Dinner, Bed and Breakfast deal.
We were very disappointed for several reasons. Our room was on the ground floor with the car park outside the window. For privacy, it was necessary to keep the roller blind down which meant we couldn't enjoy the view. There were cobwebs on the ceiling above the bed and a jar of suger covered biscuits in a jar which looked as though it had never been cleaned. In the bathroom the vinyl floor could have done with a good clean to take the chewing gum off it and the dirty scrape marks caused by the easy chair in the bathroom. The skirting board near the bath was rotten and certainly could do with being attended to. The room was however nice and warm and the bed was comfortable.
At reception in the afternoon we requested a table reserved in the restaurant for 7pm for dinner. We dressed for dinner and entering the bar were told that the restaurant wasn't being used and that we could eat in the conservatory or the bar. We chose the bar as the conservatory had low coffee table and not really suitable for eating a meal and when we had been in it earlier for drinks the table was not clean. So there we were dressed to the hilt and completely out of place in the bar and as usual there was someone sitting at the bar who obviously thought that his friend was deaf. The second evening was the same venue but this time we had dressed down and didn't feel just so out of place.
For my partner, a vegetarian, the menu was rather limited but I did enjoy my fish.
All in all, very disappointing and had we known that we were going to be eating in a pub bar, we would not have been there. Sorry won't be back.

Room Tip: not room number one
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StuartTheScot

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We have had a wonderful meal in the bar at the hotel, the menu was interesting and different from the usual suspects,with a real emphasis on local fish dishes.
The meals were excellent value and of restaurant quality.
The only slight downfall for us, was that the hotel is not dog friendly, I know this might not suit everyone, but when on holiday in the UK, this is one of the main reasons that dog owners visit Scotland, especially out of season.
We come from the Lake District and nearly all the cafes and pubs etc cater for dogs, as does The Cotswolds, why can't Scotland !!!!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Having passed though the area and had lunch at Cairnbaan on several occasions I decided it was time we actually stayed.

The hotel is right by one of the Crinan canal's locks however arriving late afternoon in the rain we didn't see much of the view but sat for a while in some comfort in the conservatory watching the downpour outside and making use of a fine stocked bar.

Dinner was every bit as good as our previous lunches with local produce - seafood in the majority - featuring highly on the menu, and the hospitality we received during our stay was second to none.

The main building itself dates back to the early nineteenth century (indeed for part of its existance it's been a motor inn and a temperance hotel) so our room and bathroom were spacious and well-lit with all the modern amenities of central heating, multi-channel television and free wifi. The modern extension houses the bar, conservatory and restaurant.

All in all I cannot find a single thing to say in criticism - even the weather failed to dampen our spirits!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

We had booked the Hotel at Cairnbaan on their website. It was doing a special winter rate for one night, dinner , bed & breakfast. We arrived after a drive from Edinburgh on the Saturday, which was a cold , wet one. After driving down from Oban we got to the hotel mid afternoon. On arriving we were made very welcome by the lady at reception. Our twin room on the first floor was warm, clean , comfortable and had a view towards the Crinan Canal. There was tea, coffee & biscuits. The TV we had was Free view, but we didn't even switch it on. The bathroom was really quite large , with a bath/shower.
The Bar and front lounge area were used for Dinner, as there were only a few diners that evening. The menu was excellent with plenty of choice, especially the fish & shellfish. I went for Cullen Skink as a starter. It was really excellent , full of fish , well seasoned, just what we needed on a cold, wet evening. I ordered a Red wine from the reasonably priced menu. It could seem expensive but the Argentinian variety I chose was excellent in bouquet & taste. For the main course I went for a Fish Pie , while my partner went for a Venison burger. My dish was very hot so I had to wait a few minutes until I could start. Overall it was nice, but a bit gloopy. My partner liked his course. The owner asked us how we liked the food & drink.
We relaxed afterwards in the front lounge which had sofas & tables. It was such a nice feeling to sit back and sip on a drink after.
The breakfast the next morning was excellent. I went for scrambled egg with local smoked salmon, and my partner had locally smoked kippers.
I will certainly consider coming here again. It is near to Crinan, Lochgilphead, Kilmartin and loads of coastline waiting to be discovered.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I came to stay at Cairnbaan Hotel with a business associate 10th Jan 2013 and was most impressed with the food, which was on par with some of the best meals I have had. The host was a typical 'life and soul', very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The staff were of similar ilk, and more besides (that Lorna - wow! what a babe!) and in all a most enjoyable stay. Highly recommended and I hope that our business may take us back at some point!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Have a stay in the Cairnbaan! Just back from a 3 night DBB break. Would echo all the good stuff said below. From the moment we arrived to an invitingly welcoming hotel (external lighting) to the moment we left, loved it. Nice spacious room, delicious food (scallops best ever), good ambience, great service by management and staff alike, and superb value. Punching above its weight for a 3*.
Beautiful area, took our bikes and cycled up to Crinan (note, nothing open for a coffee during January), lovely walk up back of hotel to "rings", Dunadd Fort also worth a look.

Years since we've been to Argyll, but will definitely return and Cairnbaan will be hotel of choice, bar none. Thanks everyone!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2012

After having dined at this venue a few times we decided to have our wedding reception here .
We had sampled the gorgeous food here . That , the idyllic location & the friendly service nailed it for us . Best day ever !
We have been back over & over again and every time leave happy .
I personally love the scallops and my wife thinks the curry is the best she's ever had .
Friends & family have now dropped in from time to time and love it too .
Good times

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank james D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairnbaan
Stonefield Castle Hotel
#3 of 4 in Tarbert
Kilfinan Hotel
Kilfinan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilfinan

Been to Cairnbaan Hotel? Share your experiences!