“Nice view, mediocre food, bad service”

The Galley of Lorne Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Ardfern
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: STUNNING FOOD IN A UNIQUE LOCHSIDE SETTING. Our Restaurant with its massive picture window gives all diners unparalleled, breathtaking views across Loch Craignish. With a menu to rival any restaurant in Oban, the Galley of Lorne offers delicious and stylish dining. Enjoy pre or post dinner drinks or a dram of whisky on our comfy sofas, alternatively stroll a few steps directly into the Lounge Bar in the company of our spectacular carved oak lions. We like to use local ingredients that are in season including seafood and game. Take a look at our menus to 'whet your appetite'. In addition to our superb menu, we also have menus for children's meals and our own homemade desserts and coffee menu. Furthermore, there are always a selection of 'specials' to give you even more choice.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The view is very nice but it s the only nice thing about this restaurant. The food is very mediocre at best. The service is terrible - everything takes for ever, requests like dressing on a side is mission impossible...

2  Thank Tasha09876

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just went for a walk to this pub and arrived shortly after opening. The welcome was warm and inviting and the drinks lovely and cold just what we wanted.
The food was great, my wife and son had tuna sandwiches and salmon sandwiches whilst i went for the large Scottish ploughmans which was great. The sandwiches were triple decker (my 7 year old only just managed to get his mouth around it!) with lovely soft bread. I had a nice selection of Scottish cheeses a chutney and a white and whole meal warm roll.
May come back again later in the week.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We've just read the owner's response to my 1 star review titled 'oh dear'.

Looking back on my review I'd probably give my review more than 1 star as the staff were at all times friendly.

However my girlfriend was not wearing lipstick that day and had had only a sip of her drink before noticing the lipstick on the glass.

Also, I did NOT return the replacement glass; I left it on the table.

She has excellent powers of observation - frankly I'm not the sort of person to notice these things unless pointed out.

Finally, I was there at the time of the incident, the owner was not.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stopped for dinner on a Wednesday night in May whilst on holiday in the area. No sooner had we ordered fish and chips for two and found a table in the bar, the food arrived. This could only mean one thing - it was not cooked fresh. The fish was ok, but the chips were very greasy and had most likely already been cooked but then 'flashed' in the fryer to warm through. There was no garnish with the meal, only a 'smear' of tartare sauce on the side. At £12 per head we thought this was very poor. Would not recommend.

4  Thank GBSB2014
Galley_of_Lorne, Owner at The Galley of Lorne Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your review. Firstly, I would have preferred that you raised your issues with either one of my staff or myself first before submitting a review so that we had the opportunity to address your now apparent lack of satisfaction.

Nevertheless, I take great exception to one particular point you made, knowing it to be wholly inaccurate. You state that in your opinion the meal could not have been cooked fresh as it was served so quickly. I can assure you with 100% certainty that all of our dishes are served fresh. If the chefs had no cheques on which seems to be the case in this instance, it takes literally no more than six minutes to fry a fresh piece of haddock if the fryer heat is at its optimum temperature. After all you wouldn’t want the batter to be rock hard, but instead light and fluffy.

As described on our menu our chips are triple cooked. They go through the first two stages in the afternoon before evening service and thus are finished only prior to serving, a third frying stage taking no more than a minute or two.

Including plating, if an order for two fish and chips are taken without any other orders being handled by the chefs at that time, it would take no more than seven minutes from order to serving.

On the subject of price this of course is seen differently from person to person. However, let me supply a comparison which should demonstrate why we believe our fish n chips to be a fair price.

Scenario: Fish and Chip supper on a cold, wet and windy day (which unfortunately it has been on many an occasion in May this year)

Option 1 – Fish n chip shop supper approx £7.50 - £8.00.

Pros to the customer : Cheaper than a restaurant / hotel. Even quicker served as the fish is probably sitting in a hot cupboard on show and the chips are already made.

Cons to the customer : Will have to eat them out of a box / paper, sitting on a bench in perhaps wind and rain with a wooden fork and having to pay extra for your sachet of sauce.

Pros to the chip shop owner : Does not have to pay 20% of his £8.00 to the VAT man as it is takeaway food. Won’t have to pay wages for professional head chef, sous chef, commis chef, waiters / waitresses, bar staff or kitchen porter to wash any plates / cutlery. Has a fraction of the overheads that a hotelier would have.

Option 2 – Fish n Chip supper at The Galley of Lorne Inn

Pros to the customer : The option of sitting in either the public or lounge bar with open fire, traditional Scottish music in the background and the ambience of a vibrant mixture of clientèle. Also having the option (at no extra charge) of being seated in our wonderful panoramic restaurant with stunning loch views with waitress service, laundered table cloths, and having a team of front of house staff and chefs tendering to your every need, again with a eclectic mix of contemporary music setting the perfect scene for dining. Having your fare served fresh and beautifully presented with home made tartare sauce with the option of (free) sauces and of course served on a plate.

Cons to the customer: Costs more than the chip shop (for obvious reasons)

Pros to the hotelier : We love welcoming diners and guests to The Galley and do our utmost to look after our guests. We thank everyone for their business.

Cons to the hotelier : As soon as you sit down, 20% of everything purchased goes straight to the VAT man. Our £11.95 suddenly becomes £9.96 before we’ve even started! The cost of overheads which dwarfs that of a chip shop i.e. staff wages, general running costs etc. Being open to ill informed, inaccurate Tripadvisor reviews having made assumptions or conclusions that are wholly inaccurate.

In summary we receive a total of approximately £1.96 - £2.46 more than a chip shop for a whole lot more service to a customer and thus our margin would be a lot less than that of a chip shop owner. I believe this extra cost reflects amazing value given all the attention, service, staff and comfort that are on offer at The Galley of Lorne Inn as opposed to a windswept bench in a seaside resort.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We were in Ardfern for a week and ate here three times. Each time the food was well presented and tasted great. Well worth a visit if you are in the area or looking for a place to stay. The staff are friendly and the owner chats to each diner to ensure they are happy with the food/service.