“The hotel has lost its level of service and quality”

Terme di Saturnia Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saturnia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was in this hotel one year before and compared to the previous experience, I can say that the hotel service and quality doesn't cost the money they ask any longer
Small details spoil everything - yes, after you share the negative feedback, personnel does it's best to improve and offer small incentives but the luxury hotel should anticipate the needs of the guest so the stay is flawless and you should not care about everything
For example, the schedule the appointments with two doctors - one is medicine, the other is dietologist, but don't care to check if I need the translator.
Am I supposed to come with full medical English dictionary in my mind? I have fluent English but the medicine terms is the different story.
Then I have bought Nuitritional Resert package which included the lunches, dinners etc but - what a nice surprise - they charge 100 euros for my dinner yesterday. Later they explained that it will not count but - why should I sign the bill then????
The quality of food that my friends eat yesterday was a disaster. One of the worst - with the cost of buffet 55 euro per person!
The room that they gave to me was the other disaster - the walls between the neighbor room was so thin that I have heard everything that my neighbours did.
The other strange thing is the plankton - it is disappeared and the lake is transparent now.
So, I do hope that the bunch of negative impressions that I had is my bad luck and the other people have much better experience.
On the positive side, I see the sincere desire of every personnel member to improve the situation after I share the negative feedback.
For example, all restraunt personnel was worried about the food quality and asked us many times how to improve, offered the bottle of champagne etc
They promised to change the room to much better one and the spa manage was ready to meet with me to discuss how to improve.
So I do hope that my negative experience is the really bald luck and othe people have much better time in this wonderful place

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I visited the hotel for the second time a month ago and stayed for 3 days.
I loved the thermal springs, my skin looked and felt softer than it has for ages (since the previous visit), and loved the relaxing effect it had on me. I slept like a baby every night.
The staff is very nice and efficient - although not all of them speak english.The rooms and the hotel itself are very elegant, clean and spacious and I love the fact that it's luxurious without the "show-off".
The restaurant has room for improvement, the dishes are a bit blunt but the breakfast is great. There are many lovely trattorias and restaurants in the surrounding villages so I strongly recommend to go out for dinner. "I due Cippi" in Saturnia village is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank S P
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I recently spent a week here and now feel completely rejuvenated! If you need to completely unwind and reset this is the best place for you. It seemed a bit pricey at first but the incredible mineral rich & sulfurous thermal springs offer one-of-kind benefits which you cannot experience anywhere else in the world. That is worth paying for. I have ongoing digestive problems which were significantly resolved by drinking the special purified sulfurous water before breakfast everyday and after spending 30 minutes in the pool everyday for a week my skin is baby soft. I have seen doctors all over the world and none of them were able to deliver the result this natural spring did in one week! The spa treatments are also amazing. I had an intensive anti-age treatment using electric currents which trained my muscles to lift- a far better natural alternative to botox or fillers. I looked 10 years younger after! I also bought a few products which are made from the natural plankton of the thermal springs as I wanted to preserve these great results at home until my next visit. The buffet breakfast was divine with all you could wish for from delicious fresh juices, pastries, charcuterie, cheeses, eggs, bacon, sausage, cakes, nuts, yogurt etc.. You name it - they had it. The resort also has an excellent Michelin starred restaurant with a fabulous wine list, but as the ingredients are all locally sourced you never seem to gain any weight- a huge bonus. The staff were all very friendly and spoke excellent English- they were eager to help you in any way necessary. I felt I had a few new friends before I left. The best part is that you can walk around all day in a cozy white fluffy bathrobe so you can just truly focus on your treatments and wellness. The whole atmosphere forces you to complete relax and retreat from the rest of the world. It may seem a bit complicated to get to as Saturnia is a remote village which you need to drive from any Italian airport (Rome or Florence generally) to get to, but it is well worth the trip. Sometimes, you just need to remove yourself from the world to be able to focus on yourself. If you are ready to do that, this is the place for you and you can do it here in true 5 star luxury no less! I cannot wait until my next visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the steamy thermal spring- Magical!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank San D
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I spent a marvelous weekend in this place. Yes, it's very expensive but one can afford sometimes spending on oneself))) a really great place for relaxation. There are 2 restaurants (one of them has 1 Michelin star but I didn't have chance to dinner there as it was reserved for some private party). Another one is also very expensive but the food was great (big tasty portions). The swimming pools are incredible. It seems to me that the best time is in winter when it's cold outside and one can fully enjoyed the warm precious water. And this part of Toscana, Maremma, is the world's best jewel! If someone wants to visit Saturnia, the only place where he/she has to stay is Terme di Saturnia spa & golf.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just enjoyed a fabulous weekend with 7 other couples. Superb Michelin restaurant, beautiful rooms and genuinely relaxing luxurious surroundings. We both tried the 'hot stones' massage - a truly interesting and pleasant experience with obviously experienced staff and great environment. Outside the main focus is the huge natural sulphur hot spring pool where you can laze about in or around the water for hours. It is supposed to be good for you and whether it is or not it is certainly extremely pleasurable. Beside the pool is the Roman bath with Turkish steam room ajd sauna. We played golf on the resort 18 hole course - interesting and plenty of opportunity to lose a few balls. At this time of year just be aware that the light goes early and the clubhouse, which is very informal and fairly basic, closes so no 19th for us! Good clubs for rent and buggies available, though the walk was not challenging. Certainly will think of returning to the Terme di Saturnia!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Saturnia Terme resort is a five star hotel: so it has everything you may want.

Lanscape is fantastic and terme are good, spa massages and treatment are excellent.
Staff is polite all around (more or less).

But (and thi is my personal opinion) luxury is this?
You loos all the flavour of beeing look after in a persona qay, everything is standardize, details are absolutely standard, an even politeness of staff sounds just standard rooutine.

To me (but only to me) you loose feeling to be "cuddle" which is important at a Terme/Spa resort.

All around nothing bad, everything was exactely in place in the right place.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Francesca A
Reviewed 27 April 2013

A wonderful resort which would be even more wonderful if it stays true to its roots in the Maremma countryside and stops trying to please the international luxury hotel crowd.
The heart of the Terme di Saturnia Resort is the amazing thermal spring of Saturnia, ancient mineral waters with legendary powers of healing and peace. The large and lovely pool is surrounded by comfortable lounge chairs, umbrellas, and an elegant poolside bar that serves both cocktails and freshly squeezed juices; the staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful. Once you settle in to your place in the sun, you never want to leave.
The hotel has two restaurants, Aqualuce and All’Aquacotta. All’Acquacotta’s brilliant chef Alessandro Boccizero takes “zero kilometer cooking” to a new level, creating divinely delicious dinners from the best local and organic ingredients, the freshest fish from the nearby island Argentario, all bathed in the lovely local olive oil La Maliosa.
His beautiful Michelin-starred cooking, however, deserves a much more beautiful dining room. All’Acquacotta is in an airless alcove, with pretty tablecloths but horrible lighting – bright overhead lights that ceaselessly emit a loud, distracting buzzing sound. (Another guest told me that she loves the food, but can only stand sitting through an evening in that dining room by taking a strong tranquillizer before dinner!)
The maître d’hotel very kindly allowed us to enjoy the All’Aquacotta menu in the more informal but more truly elegant Aqualuce dining room next door. There, by romantic candlelight and a view of the spring, we feasted on fabulous fishes and the most amazing fresh pasta, filled with herbs and garnished by delightful tiny vegetables and springs of green. Dessert was equally sublime with ice creams made from local honey, sheep cheese, and strawberries. We also enjoyed a delicious local Morellino di Scansano from the fascinating wine list.
The hotel is built around a beautiful old villa made from local stones and travertine; but an uninspired recent renovation covered up some of the beautiful travertine floors with boring wall-to-wall carpeting.
To the management: please don’t think we need fancy lighting, boring carpets, and other “amenities” we could find anywhere else in the world, to enjoy ourselves in this unique and fascinating place. The local food, the local wine, the local stones, the fabulous people, and the amazing waters of the thermal spring are what make this resort so great.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mmedesevigne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saturnia
Hotel Saturno Fonte Pura
Residence Bartolini Ai Campi da Golf
Poggio degli Olivi
Poggio degli Olivi
#4 of 23 in Saturnia

Been to Terme di Saturnia Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!