“Some good, most bad.”

Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Duong Dong
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Some good, most bad.”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I had originally planned to stay at A74 for 7 nights, but checked out after the first night. It was disappointing, as it is a great location. The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious and the place has good wi-fi and a nice lobby. Had it not been for the mold overtaking my room I would have loved to stay the whole time. I have lived in humid SE Asia for over a year now and have not yet experienced mold to this degree. So bad for health and something should be done about it before the hotel continues operating. If you don't care about mold then go for it :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Vietnamese first
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This hotel is in a great location just streetside from a larger resort beside the beach. Graeme, Tim and the rest of the staff ensure you are well-cared for and comfortable. Although not on the beach, a 3 minute walk through the neighboring resort gets you to the sea quicker than in some larger resorts. Use the supplied beach towels and straw hats from reception. The immaculately clean rooms are nicely tiled and it looks like they have recently painted the hallways. Renos to the bathrooms are planned. The delicious breakfast is only surpassed by the best-valued lunches in the area. Enjoy the breezy rooftop terrace to escape the midday heat or watch the sunset over the sea while enjoying a cold drink. Yes, the beds are firm but we slept just fine. The night market in town is a safe, 10 minute walk for great suppers. We will certainly stay here again but make reservations to ensure a room as Tim had to do some shuffling for us since we showed up unexpected.

Room Tip: Choose the "mountainside" (streetside) deluxe room for bright, cheery morning sun and no m...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DJP16
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Have just returned after 6 months in Vietnam, A74 was one of the stand outs of my trip. I stayed in one of the inside rooms and a balcony room. Both were great a bit of mold on the walls, though this is standard in the south. The roof top bar is a stand out, I ended up here most nights on my week stay. Very peaceful, having a beer and watching the boats of a night. The breakfast is great and in a lovely spot at the front of the hotel.
It was the staff that really stood out for me, very helpful, funny and no pushy agenda. I hired a motorbike from here with no problems. In the week I was there, I unfortunately only got to see the owner once, on my last day, as he was away. I think this says a lot about the professionalism of the staff, that i could have such a positive experience with out a boss looking over there shoulder. Hope to get back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms good when you have a roof top bar to chill out in!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Nanonano71
hestercoombe, Owner at A74 Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Thank you for your positive response to your stay at A74.
I am always so pleased that people have enjoyed their stay and even more pleased when I hear that our staff have cared for them well.
I am so proud of our staff and think we are so fortunate to have found naturally warm, generous people, who simply want to care for people, the foundation stone of professional hospitality.
Our main front of house staff members have a real interest in language and quest to improve their knowledge generally as well. We support our staff with on going learning and was so pleased to hear that Danny our main receptionist had graduated from his hotel management course, with maximum recognition.
I do hope we can welcome you again someday, if your journey to beautiful SE Asia - graeme
Brighouse,West Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights in March and really enjoyed our stay. Would recommend booking a seaview room at the back of the hotel as we were overlooking the road which was noisy in the mornings. Brilliant location close to beach and restaurants. Staff were lovely and very friendly. A good place to stay to get away from the many resorts. The roof terrace is a must for sunsets - we didn't miss one - it was the highlight of our day.

• Stayed March 2012
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Fleeing away from Ha Tien, I got in touch with A74 via email and made a reservation for three nights starting the next day. When my girlfriend and I arrived there, we were told a mistake had been made and we could only stay for two nights since they had no extra rooms. Luckily Tim, one of the owners, overheard the conversation and solved our problem. The solution meant that we would get his room and he would sleep on the roof top. This is what I call top notch service! He and Graeme also spent time with us recommending sights and restaurants. They even shared their precious Muesli (unavailable in Vietnam) for breakfast. Thank you guys!!
I also want to point out that in a desert of cultured stimulus, A74 shows interesting and up-to-date movies in their stylish lobby. Order a cocktail and relax!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kuchen1973
spain
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights in December & my partner had just come down with a nasty virus on the journey here so most of the first day went in a haze for him which explains why we didn`t walk out immediately as just needed to lie down. We had paid for their best room & at first glance when we went in we thought was fine. However we soon realised that it was far from fine as the when you turned taps on in bathroom water poured on your feet, TV didn`t work, room was not clean at all & very dated with the strangest decor I`ve ever seen with mould decorating the walls! Eventually the worst problems were sorted & we put up with things as basically we weren`t well enough to move, ( I came down with same virus afterwards.) However I must mention that the owners really didn`t want to know when we tried to tell them what a bad job their cleaning staff was doing & told us that we were wrong &they had seen the same thing in 5 star hotels, which does nothing to solve the problem!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eileen j
hestercoombe, Owner at A74 Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Of course I am so sorry that your stay at our hotel was not as enjoyable as most guests experience. I hope you enjoyed the Fawlty Towers TV series, as it is indeed something I relate to well and we certainly have our own Manuel's to keep our eyes on. I hope you both are well again and as a rule we pay great attention to any unwell ness our guests may be experiencing during their travels. We have made endless pots of ginger tea for tummy upset sufferers, nursed those bodily damaged from motor bike traumas etc etc. The bath scenario I am not sure about, but trust it was soon fixed, along with the lack of TV. Perhaps the fact that you had to spend so much time in our room resting encouraged you to focus so much on the aesthetics and less on the fact that the beds are good quality, as are the mattresses. Fresh. Lined and towels are always provided daily and I presume the free Internet must have been working, hence no complaint. If the room was dirty then I am of course sorry, as we aim for a high standard in that regard. Obviously you did not speak to me about any of your concerns, but suspect that what one owner may have tried to express, bearing in mind that for both parties English was an second language, is that things such as mould are a constant problem in place of extreme humidity and we both had gained some satisfaction in seeinig the same thing, in a quite new four star hotel, where we stayed recently. I am sorry that your stay was a negative one and that you were not able access any of the positives we offer that are way beyond the norm for a budget hotel. Graeme
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We came across this cool little place when trying to escape from the pricey resort we had booked ourself in to down the road. We immediately liked the vibe of the lovely garden at the front which although next to the road was a very relaxing place to sit and drink their delicious iced coffee. They had done an excellent job with the planting, lighting and decor to make it seem stylish and secluded. It was a good place to hang out and chat to other travellers. Outdoor movies were also a good touch.

The staff were very friendly and we had a nice night's stay. The room was clean and comfortable and the only downside the unventilated bathroom. This was not as bad as other reviewers have made out but it did seem it could be improved by a vent duct.

• Stayed February 2012
#28 of 47 in Duong Dong
Khanh Duy Bungalow
Khanh Duy Bungalow
#30 of 47 in Duong Dong

Been to A74 Hotel? Share your experiences!