“Like the island - a lot more work needs to be done. OK Hotel”
Review of A74 Hotel

and 1 more site!
A74 Hotel
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Duong Dong
Melbourne, Australia
“Like the island - a lot more work needs to be done. OK Hotel”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. The staff are great, friendly and willing to help even if language is a barrier. The room we stayed in was huge, yes there is mould on the walls but it wont hurt you if you don't hurt it.
The beds are pretty hard and I woke up a couple of nights with pins and needles, there is no hot water (no huge problem but hurts if you want to shave) and the water is gravity fed. On one day, gravity stopped working and I had no water. Not nice when you work up a sweat.
Breakfast is basic, the location is close to food and a 15 minute walk to the main town.
The hotel needs a lot of work to remain competitive, especially when the construction of other hotels finishes. The bath drained so slowly that when I took a shower, I was standing in a few cm of water - again. not nice.
The beach is close.

What I really didn't like was when you left your room and removed the key from the power thing in the wall ALL electricity items turned off INCLUDING the fridge. Coming back to the room to a warm water in a warm fridge isn't nice. If this could be changed, it would be great.
For $30 I have stayed in a hotel in Cambodia that is superior in every way, so it can be done.
If I were to return to Phu Quoc Island, I wouldn't stay here. 3/5 is being generous.
If you want a room that keeps the rain off your head and and softer than the floor bed and don't care too much about the rest, then this would be an option for you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Vietnamese first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I agree with what many reviewers have written: the rooms are very moldy. The smell was awful, and there was no window in our room, so we couldn't get any fresh air in. As soon as we turned the aircon off, the smell got unbearable. BUT I do feel that this hotel was a good value for money. We checked out a lot of hotels before booking this one, and we got the impression that you either had to book an expensive luxury hotel, or an expensive bungalow that wasn't up to standards. I'd say the A74 is the only middle-of-the-road hotel. It's not too expensive, the location is excellent, the staff is friendly, and the breakfast is good.
I absolutely LOVED Phu Quoc and wouldn't hesitate to stay at the A74 hotel should I ever return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Voornaam A
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I decided to visit Phu Quoc in the mistaken belief that it was "undiscovered" - I was about five years too late - and searched TA for a hotel that would fit my requirements - cheap but not primitive and near the beach. A-74 seemed to fit the bill. I made my reservation on line from Cambodia and after some initial problems with Paypal - it is required that you pay the first night before your reservation is accepted - which were solved by the super friendly Vietnamese staff - I made my reservation for four nights. Arriving from Ha Tien on the hydrofoil - and be prepared to walk half a mile from where the boat docks to "land" if you choose this mode of transport - I was dropped off at the hotel by my pre-arranged taxi.

My room was on the first floor - it was small but adequate for my purposes. I was going to use it to sleep and that's all. After one of the staff was kind enough to drive in to town and purchase a local SIM card for my mobile my next query was "Where's the beach" and I received exact instructions from Graeme, one of the owners. Out the door, walk 10 meters and hang a left. Walking through a neighboring resort I noted the numbers of some of the cottages and arrived Long Beach which, as promised, was l-o-n-g. There were lots of comfy sun chairs and when I went over to pick up a cushion the "guard" asked me for a room number which I happily supplied having noted same previously. The A-74 DOESN'T have a deal there but all the guards want is a number. This routine was followed for the next few days. The beach was gorgeous, just the right number of hawkers of fruit, water was calm. Lots of Russians and Scandinavians.

For dinner I walked the 10-12 minutes down to the night market and was presented with an array of 10-20 seafood stalls all of whom REALLY wanted my custom. I chose the one with the cutest staff and feasted on a freshly caught one kilo red fish which was barbecued. That and a good Vietnamese beer set me back all of the equivalent of five bucks US. I ate there every night except one when I took Graeme's advice and ate at a place about two minutes walk away on the other side of the road. For an idea of the number of fishing vessels working the local waters walk up to the hotel's open air top floor at night and have a gander. I thought there was another town out in the water - there are hundreds of lights out on the water.
After dinner the hotel screens a movie every night.

The staff suggested that I take the day tour for US 17 and so I did. A nice snorkel tour - snorkelling wasn't THAT great, but OK - lunch, visit to a pearl tourist trap which was actually quite fun and visit to a beach were all included. Good way to kill a day and to see a bit more of this rather large island.

All in all a great stay. Would certainly come back but doubt I will as the new airport will be completed, so they say, at the end of 2012 thus heralding the arrival of mass tourism and the transformation of Phu Quoc to a new Koh Samui.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank StephenCopenhagen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed in the standard rooms and was very basic. The shower was just a spray and wasn't a separate cubicle so when you washed water would end up everywhere. The rest of the room was ok but a little small. Had only a small window in our room but that was fine.

Breakfast was included in our stay and was about a 10 minute walk to the markets better to just catch a cab if you wanted to get around as they are cheap anyways. The rooftop bar wasn't open and didn't look like it has been for awhile but I guess it was because we went to Phu Quoc during the low season.

Staff were friendly only the owner knew the most English. Best to spend more money and stay on a resort.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobbinbrisco
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I booked this hotel as it was recommended by an event I was attending. I don't know who would recommend such a place. I coughed up extra for the sea view room, which didn't even have a glass window (it was more like a solid shutter that opened to a view of the ocean, so we couldn't even leave it open at night.)

Sheets were stained, bathroom was dirty and the sink didn't drain properly but instead leaked out onto the floor. The hot water is solar heated, so half the time there was no hot water either. TV was small and reception was bad. There was no wifi in the rooms (only on the ground floor).

During the time we stayed, there was constant pounding and drilling one floor below us. Also, this hotel is not on the beach, but some distance away and you have to wind your way through other hotels and restaurants to find the beach. A couple restaurants nearby on the main road was the only redeeming quality about the location.

Overall though, not recommended and terrible value for the price you pay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mtxguy
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I had originally planned to stay at A74 for 7 nights, but checked out after the first night. It was disappointing, as it is a great location. The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious and the place has good wi-fi and a nice lobby. Had it not been for the mold overtaking my room I would have loved to stay the whole time. I have lived in humid SE Asia for over a year now and have not yet experienced mold to this degree. So bad for health and something should be done about it before the hotel continues operating. If you don't care about mold then go for it :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This hotel is in a great location just streetside from a larger resort beside the beach. Graeme, Tim and the rest of the staff ensure you are well-cared for and comfortable. Although not on the beach, a 3 minute walk through the neighboring resort gets you to the sea quicker than in some larger resorts. Use the supplied beach towels and straw hats from reception. The immaculately clean rooms are nicely tiled and it looks like they have recently painted the hallways. Renos to the bathrooms are planned. The delicious breakfast is only surpassed by the best-valued lunches in the area. Enjoy the breezy rooftop terrace to escape the midday heat or watch the sunset over the sea while enjoying a cold drink. Yes, the beds are firm but we slept just fine. The night market in town is a safe, 10 minute walk for great suppers. We will certainly stay here again but make reservations to ensure a room as Tim had to do some shuffling for us since we showed up unexpected.

Room Tip: Choose the "mountainside" (streetside) deluxe room for bright, cheery morning sun and no m...