“No working air conditioner!”

Tranquility Bay Antigua
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Plano, Texas
“No working air conditioner!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just don't. Don't be fooled by the low price. Don't chance staying here. Just don't.

We arrived to a room that was hotter than it was outside. No problem, maybe it just needed to be turned down and cooled off while we were at dinner. No luck. Came back from dinner and it was actually hotter. Called the front desk and maintenance came to look at it. He agreed it wasn't working and said he was going to check on the chiller. (They use a water cooling system, not one with freon) I thought he would come back. No luck there either. Called the front desk after 1.5 hours to find out status. Maintenance guy went home. I was told to just turn the ceiling fan on. Could only keep it on low because it was so off balance it would have come off the brackets at a higher speed.

The next night the room was even hotter. They assured me it was being fixed and promised after dinner it would be better. No luck again! They then moved my mother and I to a two bedroom jacuzzi suite. Couldn't use the master bedroom there because the AC wasn't working there either. For the next three nights we never had AC and were told it was only us. I knew this was a lie because I talked to multiple people who had complained too.

When I went to speak to Ms Watty, the operations manager, she basically shamed me for needing an AC. She doesn't have one at her house so why do I need one? Seriously. She asked me that! Maybe because I paid for it?? She also scolded me for wearing my bathing suit while talking to her. Wait. Aren't we at a beach resort??

I would never advise anybody to stay here. I have traveled the world many times over and this was one of my worst experiences anywhere. I am fine with out dated furniture and a resort that needs a little love but I'm not ok with being lied to, scolded, and shamed.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
7 Thank 285taral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The staff at Tranquility Bay were absolutely wonderful. The day we arrived we had some issues with our car rental and with 2 tours we booked online ourselves. The staff we incredibly helpful in getting things resolved for us (especially Philomena and Joanne). They also booked our tours for us and arranged taxis when we needed them. The rooms were was well kept, and comfortable.
I would highly recommend this resort for your stay in Antigua

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Patrick G
Connecticut
Reviewed 1 June 2014

As far as timeshare hotels go, this one is pretty good. The staff is EXCELLENT, especially Filomina! Got a great deal with Interval and upgraded to deluxe suite for $350 for the week. The deluxe units are on the third floor, no elevator but is worth the extra $ for the outside space alone. The hot tub is really just a jacuzzi bath tub but okay. Kitchen utensils a little sparse, but we only do breakfast and never cook dinners, so may be a stretch if you want to do some serious cooking. Agree with other reviewers that the living room furniture very uncomfortable. Baths could use some updating but are clean. The A/C units are old, noisy, and strain to keep up. A perk was they change your towels everyday and do full cleaning three times a week -- unusual for timeshare places. The most unfortunate thing about TB is its association with the train wreck of a resort next door -- Jolly Beach. If you are counting on using their amenities (other than the pools which are fine) you may be disappointed. The casino was closed, 3 of 5 restaurants closed, bar service slow with watered down drinks, and many of the other amenities advertised are closed or don't exist (hammock lounge, game room without games and missing equipment, no rim on the basketball hoop, broken beach chairs, etc.) and the staff at JB is indifferent. Not sure what its like during peak season, but JB must be an absolute nightmare when its at capacity. Its an all inclusive resort, so you need to buy a "cash card" to buy drinks or food at JB. This area of the island is absolutely dead this time of year. Jolly Harbor restaurants/bars are either closed, or close early and no nightlife. Castaways is a nice beach bar/grill next door but you never knew when/if they were going to be open. If TB put in a pool, bought Castaways and disassociated itself from JB altogether, it would be a great place to go back to as they have the great customer service and know how to run a hotel. Also the beach is great. The absolute best places to eat are Oceanus (they provide shuttle service) and Sheer Rocks (a $20 r/t taxi ride). Also, Carmichaels at Sugar Ridge is good. South Coast Horizons kayak/snorkeling tour was also great and they provide shuttle service.

Room Tip: Deluxe suites have wraparound balconies with sun and shade. Regular units have very small balconies...
4 Thank tallgirl1
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I've just returned from a few days at the hotel, and found the little apartment perfect for my needs - spacious and clean and well-located. If you're into lux or fancy interior decoration, then this isn't for you, but everything about the place from the welcoming flowers everywhere, extremely helpful staff and loads of local restaurants in Jolly Harbour made it very relaxing

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank 23Sue
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with mini-kitchen. Condo needs major renovation. Rooms were clean but limited kitchen. Furniture needs to be updated as do the baths.
The beds were comfortable and clean. Air conditioning was not controllable.
The resort had no on property pool or restaurant. We could use the pool next door at the Jolly Beach resort which also needed major updating. Also the Jolly Beach is an all inclusive resort so no food or drink service at the pool.
Location on Jolly Beach was great and fortunately there was one funky beach bar and restaurant on the beach next to the condo. Also, many great restaurants and bars a few blocks away on the yacht harbor.

I recommend the area but look for other accommodations. Met one lady that rented a private condo on the harbor for a month for only $100 more than we paid for a week.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Glenn H
Antigua
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Spent a night at Tranquility Bay just for a getaway. Rooms were spacious and well-equipped. Near to restaurants, a supermarket and free entertainment at Jolly Beach Resort (a sister property). Beach is a minute's walk. We will return for a weekend trip next time.

Room Tip: Corner suites are great for people watching....
1 Thank caribbeanmomma
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is my first resort review ever, even though ,my wife and I (and kids) have been on dozens of vacations...multiple times to Mexico, many of the islands, Europe, etc. We have used timeshare trades through both RCI and Interval, we have purchased "getaways" and "extra vacations" as well. We have paid for non-timeshare related vacations, both all-inclusive and not. We have seen really great resorts, mediocre resorts, and unfortunately, very poor resorts. But I have to comment on this one...

The fabulous beach and water at TBA/JBR bring this rating up from POOR to AVERAGE.

The rooms are OK, nothing special but OK for a week. A bit smaller than we are used to but adequate for an active family of four (2 adults, 2 teens). Not much of a view from the balcony, even in the building we were in which was closest to the beach. But it did make the walk to the beach easy.

The beach is white sand and is in reasonably good shape. Lots of shells but manageable...I am told one of the best beaches on the island. And the water was that picturesque turquoise you see in pictures. Clearly the BEST thing about the resort!

The staff was mixed...like anywhere, some really nice, helpful, friendly people and some others that clearly couldn't be bothered with a guest's request. Be careful when trying to take out a Hobie Cat, you may offend a staff member by waking him up! Bartenders were a mixed bag as well, a couple great guys/ladies and a couple of real a-holes! Again, sorry I am bothering you, a bartender, to get me a drink...my apologies.

The grounds are nothing to brag about, could use a lot of maintenance to give it a resort feel. The pool bar and restaurant at JBR close early and both the pool area and beach become a ghost town. Like on any island, the beach vendors can be a real pain, but if you are polite they will usually move on and tell you to have a nice day. Not bad compared to other places we've been.

Checked out the spa. Pretty basic with little reason to hang around. Doesn't look or feel like a spa at all.

Overall, TBA/JBR were not comparable to other resorts we have stayed in. We even considered paying for another week in another resort just so we didn't feel like we missed out on our own vacation. We decided to stick it out but we purposely kept busy off the resort.

Two days before we left, I called the front desk to ask for a late checkout (check-out is at 11:00 and we wanted until 12:00/12:30), we had an afternoon flight and didn't want to spend all day at the airport. The lady at the front desk said she would get back to me. She never did so we checked out an hour late. At noon I got a firm scolding from a guy at the front desk saying that I couldn't check out late. We left the room at 12:15 and they tried to charge us $42 for a late check-out. I told him no way I was paying $42 for one hour when they didn't have the courtesy of calling me back...ended up charging me $21.

Limited food options on property but with a short walk off the resort, there were a few options.
Typical island style service, meaning painfully slow...plan 2 hours for dinner. But food quality was surprisingly good (good compared to typical resort area food). I would recommend Melini's Italian and even the Crow's Nest poolside restaurant. I heard good things about Dennis'...was not impressed. A new seafood place, Oceano's was good. The owner, Glen, came out to talk with us...seemed to really want to know how it was. I like that...it's called pride in what you do.
And they will shuttle you from the hotel to the restaurant and back if you call them.

My recap, this could be a great place but needs to be purchased by a big company who will make the required investment and overhaul the entire place...including SOME of the staff and management! You will do better staying close by at Coco's. Same beach and water without the mediocre feel and poor attitudes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank JonRen92
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Sugar Ridge
Sugar Ridge
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to Tranquility Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!