“Tranquil paradise for Honeymooners and Couples”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Wow, what an amazing resort. From the warm greeting we received on arrival to the moment we had to sadly depart. The setting was idyllic for our honeymoon, accomodation beautiful, food amazing but most of all it was the wonderful staff that made it perfect. To mention but a few - O'neal: Resort manager, attentive and couldn't do enough. Melissa: so welcoming and helpful. Kenroy/Mr.Gore: Wonderful man! Sonia: Thanks for the amazing breakfasts! Oriel: Master of the Cocktails. If we had to give any negatives, all we would say is it would be nice to have slightly more entertainment (ie. Live music).
To all: Cocobay is truly wonderful, perfect paradise. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank AnnaAndyCain
Write a ReviewReviews (2,367)

Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I spent a week in Coco Bay on our honeymoon from 9th - 15th July 2012 and had the most enjoyable week of our lives to date. On arrival we were greeted by the manager and assistant manager who gave us cool facecloths and homemade rum...delicious and such an unexpected surprise!!We were then given a tour of the resort before being escorted to our room which was a beautiful wooden hut - very rustic and simple but so romantic. A bottle of champagne, flowers and a lovely card to congratulate us on our recent wedding were displayed in our room - small touches which made such a difference.

Sonja and staff greeted us with smiles every morning at breakfast whilst we had our eggs and pancakes freshly cooked not to mention the spread of cooked breakfast, fruit, cereal, cheeses, criossants, bread, pastries etc of which were baked on the resort kitchen.

Most of our days were spent lazing by one of the pools with the fantastic scenery overlooking the sea or strolling on the beach only footsteps away. The resort also provides snorkelling gear, kayaks and lifejackets free of charge which we enjoyed making use of. The staff at the pool were always upbeat and willing to help in any way possible even carrying a selection of drinks to guests sitting by the pool when the temperatures were soaring and it was almost too much of a chore to walk the short distance to the bar. Staff became familiar with the guests names and indeed our drinks preferences very early on!!A huge thanks to the bar staff - Vincia, Robert, Craig, Tony and Sasha.

At lunch time the fresh fish of the day was served along with another huge spread of mouthwatering food followed by homemade dessert and icecream - all too good to resist!!

Every evening we had our own reserved table and enjoyed a four course dinner which we ordered off the menu whilst it was freshly cooked along with as many glasses of wine and beverages as you could manage. We then retired to the bar where there was a live band which played most evenings - local Caribbean music which added to the atmosphere.

We have recommended Coco Bay to all of our family and friends since coming home and every time I speak about our lovely time there it brings a tear to my eye. I long to hear the beautiful birdsong, the waves crashing on the beach and picture the flowers and scenery in my head every day still. Coco Bay really was the most amazing place we have ever been. Thank you to all of the staff for making our honeymoon such a fantastic and memorable time.

Kathy & Stephen Watters
N. Ireland

Room Tip: We thought we would have been disappointed that our room didn't have a clear sea view but instea...
4  Thank KATIEMC1980
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon in Antigua, and more specifically at Cocobay Resort. We had a wonderful time and we both wish we could have stayed longer. Before getting into the informative part of this review, we’d like to thank the entire staff for their friendliness and hard work to make our stay as great as it was.

We booked our stay through an outside agency for a very reasonable price and were still able to receive a couple of pleasant honeymoon benefits through the resort.

We decided not to rent a vehicle because I figured that we would spend most of our time at the resort and wouldn’t need daily transportation. Manuella at Cocobay was very friendly and helped us arrange a private transfer to and from the airport. Arranging it directly through the resort ended up being less expensive than if we'd done it through our travel agent. The driver was very friendly and was on time.

We arrived at Cocobay quite early for check-in and expected to wait in the lobby…which we would have been fine with…but instead of making us wait we were happily greeted and invited to lunch. Everyone at the reception area is friendly and very helpful. We were always met with enthusiasm which helped make us feel welcome. Really everyone at the resort is friendly, from O'Neal the resort manager, to housekeeping, to Watersports, to the bar tenders and waiters/waitresses. I would hate to name everyone individually because really there are too many and I'd feel bad forgetting someone.

We didn't know what to expect with the food based on widely differing reviews. I am not a picky eater, but my wife definitely fits that description. After weighing ourselves upon returning home, I can prove that the portions are more than adequate. In fact we usually ended up leaving the dining area far fuller than we cared to be, which also subtly speaks to the quality of the food. It was generally very well prepared and varied on a nightly basis. The menus are similar to a bistro menu with a few choices for each course other than soup (there is one soup option at lunch and dinner). There was always something we both wanted for apps, main course and dessert. We never had to “upgrade” to something more expensive.

Drinks are well made. We spent a lot of time at the bar. The same drinks varied some by bar tender, but they were always good. I would describe most of the bar tenders as subdued but friendly.

We were fortunate enough to afford a couple wonderful “extra” activities while at Cocobay. We had an amazing couples massage on our balcony, and we also had a private dinner on the beach, both booked through the resort. It was a beautiful and romantic dinner, but keep in mind the beaches here are public. There was only one guy in the water, but he decided to stay right next to us and carry on a very loud conversation with the only person still on the beach. We laughed it off, but if that sort of thing would bother you, keep it in mind.

Vendors on the beach will try to sell you absolutely any activities they can sell you. We found them to be friendly, but they will approach you every time you enter the beach area. We also found that they overcharge for non-standard things like jet-skis. At the desk or at other beaches you can get better deals. I would suggest heeding the advice of the staff and booking things directly through the resort. Ultimately we spent more time at the two infinity pools than the beach.

Cocobay does offer some watersports. You can snorkel, kayak and do some padlling/sailing on one of those hobie things. If you don’t know how to sail they will show you. “Robert” is a great guy, as was everyone down there. I apologize for forgetting names.

The seaview rooms are nice. We purposefully found a resort where there aren’t any TV’s in the rooms. I’m very glad we did this. Our room had a great view of Valley Church Bay and Sleeping Indian Mountain from the balcony. I enjoyed the hammock quite a lot. The bathroom was nice. Everything was ‘garnished’ with flowers when we arrived. There is plenty of storage. The only caveat is that if you require a plush bed, you will be disappointed. The beds are very firm, which is ultimately OK, but not ideal for some. Despite what someone else said, there are plenty of clothes hangers that are perfect for, among other things, the robes in the room. We found that A/C was nice to have. If you don’t book through the resort you may have to pay for it on a nightly basis.

Housekeeping is friendly and adequate. We always came back to our room with fresh towels and a clean room.

Some couples did bring children who were about 12 years old (which is the minimum this time of year). They were always respectful and quiet so I have no complaints. Still, I really don’t understand why someone would want to go to what is very obviously a romantic/couples resort with their young-ish children. There are other family resorts that are better suited to entertain kids, both less and more expensive.

Cocobay is most likely closing down for a few weeks in September for repairs and expansion. My own greed hopes the resort does not to expand too much for risk of losing its charm. I understand it’s a business first, but I think if the resort grows too much it could damage its’ identity. I look forward to seeing pictures of what they decide to do.

We didn’t have trouble with mosquitoes. We weren’t bothered in our room at all. The only things that bothered my wife were the sand flies. On the other hand, I didn’t have a single bite. You can’t easily see the little buggers. You just feel a slight pinch around your feet and then in a couple days you see little dots all over your ankle and they itch like crazy. We think it may have been when we walked the beach at dawn, or when we had our private dinner on the beach at dusk…or both. Either way, we bought some Benadryl itch-stopping cream and it worked like magic.

Oh yeah – remember your sunscreen. It’s pretty expensive in the little gift-shop, but if you do forget it (or any other incidentals) you can buy it at the resort gift-shop.

So overall, great atmosphere, great food, great staff, great views, good domicile. We miss it already and would love to return. We have been recommending it to our friends and family.

5  Thank cey613
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I am a mommy of 4small ones and once a year my husband and I get away for a week. After much research and debate This year we choose Cocobay! And I'm delighted to say it was money very well spent! If you want to rest and relax and not know what time of the day it is this is it! The beauty that surrounds this resort is breath taking... My husband and I do travel a bit and this is a the top of the list! The staff is great :) the rooms are perfect the weather was excellent! The only thing I would add is.a night on location of entertainment but they have the Sunday night party at Shirley heights which was more than enough for us. They do have a band that cOmes our almost every night to play but they are really there for ambience. The beaches were incredible! Really this has been a dream trip for us! 6 days was not enough:( I hope they participate in groupons soon and often so we can go back

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Dprinsez
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I are just returned from a one week stay at Cocobay. Before this, we had stayed at only one other resort, but already appreciate the importance of a top quality staff - and Cocobay definitely delivered. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

We were looking for a place to do absolutely nothing and just relax. This proved to be a great choice. For those that want to go on excursions and do activities, they can show you a number of options and make arrangements, but providing a relaxing experience seems to be their main focus. In addition to a long beach front, there are two infinity pools to enjoy (both with bars). Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with a nice variety day to day. Dinner was a different four-course menu each night.

Even with now over 50 cottages, it still feels like an intimate resort. And there was a wonderful international mix of guests. As other reviews have mentioned, booking direct and choosing the sea view cottage is absolutely worth the extras, particularly AC. Little touches such as welcome and goodbye drinks and surprise flowers and candles in our room after one dinner went a long way too.

We did give them feedback on the lack of beach / pool towels at times and another thing to keep in mind is the beach vendors. While friendly, they don't take no for answer when they are trying to sell you things. Make sure to bring bug spray too.

3  Thank akadjeski
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights for our honeymoon. We read many reviews before and after booking this hotel and we wasn’t disappointed. The grounds in which this hotel is set in are truly breathtaking and are views that you will not forget. The resort is quiet, peaceful and very clean.

As for the staff at Cocobay, they are very friendly and accommodating and will assist you anyway they can. I am aware that some previous reviews have commented negatively on the food choices, but the food was amazing. We have eaten in some very nice restaurants here in the UK that couldn’t beat Cocobay’s food quality, taste and presentation. The only thing to mention is that in the evening guests are asked to dress smartly, and yes that does mean trousers and shirts for men, which is strictly adhered to and guests will be turned away from the restaurant if not dressed suitably, which we witnessed one evening.

Also if you get the change to do an excursion, go and swim with the stingrays at Stingray City! It is fantastic!

The only downside to our stay at Cocobay was that unfortunately two families arrived with some very rude teenagers which completely spoilt the atmosphere for us. Fortunately for us we were on our penultimate night and glad to be leaving them behind. If there is one piece of advice I can give the hotel it is to make the hotel an over 21year old ADULT only resort all year round.

Even though we was a bit disappointed with the addition of children at the resort we will return to Cocobay and hope that it only gets better and our next trip will be as magical as this one! Finally, a special thank you to all the staff at Cocobay for making our honeymoon very special.

Room Tip: Our room had a plunge pool which if you are from the UK and not used to temperatures pushing 30°c fr...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ashley F
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I spent here the second part of our honeymoon (11th-19th june)and first of all I have to say that the place is absolutely excellent! The staff is great, everyone is kind and ready to help, expecially the manager, Mr. O'Neill, who has always been very nice to the both of us. Food is great, from breakfast to dinner, everything was tasty and well cooked. Fresh omelettes and pancakes in the morning were delicious! Lunch was perfect, there was a buffet with a big choice of everything you can fancy! A la carte dinner was lovely too, we have no complains at all about food. The resort is exactly as it looks in their website's pictures, the cottages are romantic and clean. The views are fantastic. I think the way to the cottages from the restaurant and the bar is a bit too dark in the night, though. The beach is something to die for, I still keep on watching all the pictures we took, because they are incredible and I can't still believe we had been in a oh so gorgeous place. Anyway, I feel like warning the next guests about the scary experience my husband and I faced while we were there. I have bitten by a tarantula (probably it was an antiguan horse spider, but the doctor told me it's the same family) in my room at night. We were on our way back to our cottage at 11 pm, probably the spider got on my skirt from our patio, I leant on it for a second while my husband was opening the door. As we sat on the bed next to each other I felt something on my skirt and when I looked down I started to scream and ran away trying to get rid of it, but it jumped from my leg onto my arm where I got bitten. You can't imagine how awful it was. We both thought I could have died. How could we know if it was poisonous or not? deadly or not? to our eyes it was just the scariest thing we've ever seen. My husband tried to kill it with a shoe a couple of times but it didnt die, at the end, horrified, he was able to kill it. then we rushed to the reception, asking for a taxi to the security guard and then we went to Saint John's hospital with the killed spider in a bag. Unfortunately I received no treatment despite we shown our travel insurance documents. I've been just asked to pay 580 us dollars before a treatment that the receptionist couldn't or wouldn't explain. So I decided to wait and see what happened to my arm in the following hours. If my arm had turned swollen or red or more painful, I would have obviously give them even more than the 580 us dollars they asked. The bite looked like two red spots next to each other. I was in a shock but still ok, my arm looked quite fine, even if the bite was still visible, so after spending there those 5 hours with NO ASSISTANCE, we decided to call a taxi and go back to the hotel. SHAME TO ST. JOHN'S HOSPITAL!!! Once Mr. O'Neill knew what happened, he was very supportive, nice and kind to us. We've been upgraded in another cottage, he paid for our taxi fee, he paid for the doctor I asked to come to see me at the resort the day after and I had baygon sprayed all over the room everyday till the end of our stay. Despite of this scary misadventure I have to be honest and tell you all that the Cocobay is an awesome place, and I'd be definetly back tomorrow if I could; you just have to be very careful at night, don't lean on your patio balcony without checking, don't leave the window open while you're out. tarantulas are out there. their holes are all over the garden. I do hope that in the future the management will get rid of those spiders. What if something like that happened to a heart patient? Anyway, I want to thank Mr. O'Neill for everything he did to make our stay pleasant. We really had a nice one! It is nature, after all!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank veronica3612
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
9 mi away
14 mi away
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!