“Shame about the food”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I did a lot of research before booking an hotel in Antigua. Cocobay seemed to be what I was looking for and most of it came up to scratch. The welcome at reception was charming and efficient, the room (No. 10) was cool and welcoming yes it is shabby chic but I think this adds to the appeal. The bathroom was a bit tired and the shower fairly weak but it was nice to open the doors and look out onto the sea whilst showering. The plunge pools was pretty but too cold for me, my husband braved it a couple of times, the problem is the sun does not shine on them long enough and they are deep so the water never warms up but later in the year this would not be a problem. Although promised air conditioning when we booked we were told when we asked how to activate that we had to pay a supplement which was not in our agreement. We decided not to make a fuss as it was our last night there and up until then the fan was OK. The grounds and pool are very pretty although I do agree with some of the previous writers that the bar was sometimes not manned and one bar man meant long waits at times. Also the small, cheap glasses annoyed me it was as if because we were AI that they did not want us to have a decent size drink, it did remind me of an outside event bar at times. The beaches are lovely but yes more parasols are needed but this was not an huge problem. The nature walk with Vorm was a must we went on two we enjoyed it so much. He is very informative and it made our trip to Antigua.
The only real problem is the food. I know other writers have said it is only the 'burger and chips' people who do not like the food this I object to as I have a wide experience of different cultural foods but this is the problem, the evening meals are awful, pompous descriptions of food that is so poor and in such tiny amounts that some nights all I ate was the soup and ice cream (not home made). We would have liked local food but in the 7 days we were there it was mostly Antiguans trying to cook American/European food not very well. Breakfast was OK but fruit ran out very quickly and was not replaced, the egg chef was great and very helpful, breads and pastries were not brilliant . Lunch the salads were OK but again if you did not get there quickly they ran out and staff seemed slow to replace them. Fish and chicken cooked in the same sauce day in day out became boring and the desserts were sad, mostly frozen bought in or a blob of ice cream. This is not a cheap hotel, and I thought the cost cutting in the kitchen was appalling, we felt ripped off by this and sadly let down the experience of the complete hotel. Yes I did complain to O'Neil who I believe is the GM, very charming all smiles and yes we did see an improvement for a day on the replenishment of the dishes but all he could suggest was to the evening problem was for us to take our meals at Sheers, their other restaurant but at £150 a couple this seemed a bit rich. I did ask to meet with his 'executive chef' to discuss one dish I was served which was described as Baked Avacodo but was a plate of vinegary red cabbage (not allowed to cook long enough) with a piece of puff pastry popped on the top, not an avacodo in sight. Unfortunately the chef would not meet with me. I think too much emphasis is being put on Sheers to the detriment of the AI paying guests who cannot show their dislike of the food by walking as they have already paid, and sadly British people cannot/will not complain, even though all we heard around the pool and the bar was complaints about the food.
Sorry Cocobay, great location, great pool, nice ethos of peace and quiet, but poor food and drinks will not bring guests in. Best meal we had in Antigua was in the take away up the road

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tomsgranny
Write a ReviewReviews (2,366)

Reviewed 24 March 2008

My husband and I booked to stay at the Cocobay on 13.4.07 so you imagine what a shock it was on arival at Antigua on 12.03.08 to be told by Thomas cook rep we were not going to the Cocobay but the Hawksbill beacuse it was double booked.Apparentley this is something that happens quite often at this hotel so please be aware. A honeymoon couple had the same thing happen they also booked a year ahead and even e mailed the hotel in December and were told they were booked. They also ended up at the Hawksbill.
I must say the manager at the Hawksbill was very nice unlike Cocobay who could not be contacted by ourselves or the Thomas Cook rep so please be aware if you have booked this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank adjLincolnshire
Reviewed 18 March 2008

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at cocobay. All I can say is this place is amazing - stunning fews, amazing staff and very clean.

I had read a few reviews on here and was worried about our stay due to some of the negative comments - I should not have worried.

We were greeted by the manager on arrival which was a lovely touch. Reception staff were very friendly and we were checked in and taken to our room very quickley.

We paid for an upgrade to a seafront room and it was well worth the money. We had a full sea view that took your breath away. The room was basic but very clean and had everything we needed. Bed was very comfy. We had air con but never used it - the ceiling fan is more than enough to keep you cool and we oftern woke up cold and had to turn the fan off.

The pool is very clean and there was always sun beds available. You can get beach towels from reception daily so you always have a clean towel.

Breakfast was lovely - they have an egg chef and I recommend the omelettes!

Luch was pleasant - salads, fish and a hot dish such as meatballs, chicken or curry.

Dinner was a 4 course meal - not the most Antiguan meal Ive eaten but still pleasant. Wine is served with every meal.

Breakfast and Lunch are buffet style and we found by dinner we werent that hungry so the smaller protions never bothered us 0 we spoke to other people round the pool and they all agreed. They serve sandwichs and home baked cookies from 4pm in the bar too.

David on the bar is very good - always smiling and makes the best cocktails!

All in all a amazing place - apparently Cocobay has the best poolside views anywhere on the Island and the locals describe it as a 'posh' place!

A short walk up cocobay beach and up the hill is Dennis Bar - we recommend you try lunch here - very nice!

the beer at the hotel is horrible - it is the local brew - but for $1 a bottle ou can buy bottled beer from the bar at sheer.

I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Charlottey
Reviewed 14 March 2008

My wife and I absolutely adored this resort and would not hesitate to go back. The location is stunning and the accomodation more than adequate. Given the price to stay at other resorts in more luxurious accomodation then this resort represents excellent value. We found the staff pleasant except for the stand in barman who ketp going AWOL.

Restaurant staff helpful and very pleasant in the main. There were one or two who looked a bit miserable at the start of the holiday but by taking an interest in them we managed to change that. Food in evenings was fantastic and loved all the varieties of fish and soups served at lunch. American guests tended to be unhappy with the portion sizes at dinner. The wine was awful.

The biggest problem was that we arrived in Antigua only to be told the hotel was overbooked and we were going to their sister resort at Coconut Beach for one night. On a one week holiday this was appalling service. Negotiated a full refund but having a nightmare reclaiming this from our booking agent Caribbean Hotels.com who rank as the most unprofessional uncommunicative bunch of charlatans I've ever dealt with.

Despite the issues and mosquitoes we will be back next year.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peteraa59
Reviewed 7 March 2008

We stayed at Cocobay in Feb and what a wonderful place we found. The location is amazing, the views have to be seen in real life to be believed, the pictures do not do it justice.

The rooms were good, immaculately clean, massive beds which were really comfortable, we did not miss the TV or phone one bit, actually it was quite refreshing to not have it.

There have been some negative reviews about the staff, but we found them all really friendly and polite, all you have to do is show them a bit of gratitude, smile and acknowledge them!. Dave the barman is a legend, his cocktails were superb - try the rum punch, antgiua smile, brown cow and dragonfly. Reception staff were great especially phyllis and delicia. Make sure you go on a walk with the medicine man - Vaughan, very educational and he provides good entertinment.

The food was exceptional for an all inclusive, especially the evening meals - 4 courses with waiter service and wine. Make sure you try the chocolate brulee. The wine was pretty good, think it was argentinian mendoza. Breakfast and lunch were both buffet style and there was plenty of variety - I don't think we seen any repeat main courses in the two weeks we were there. The only downside of the food was when they did the west indian buffet and bbq buffet on thu and sun evenings respectively. It was edible, but just not as good as the other nights, I suppose we'd been a bit spoiled!

The beaches were good, we preferred little ffryes beach right next to the hotel, in fact we did a lot of travelling and only found two beaches nicer than it and they were on the other side of the island - long bay and half moon bay. Pool was stunning, but watch out for towels - some people wanted the same bed every day for the whole two weeks and they would get up a 7 to ensure they got it. Why travel all that way if you going to sit round the pool for 2 weeks, you might as well go to benidorm!!!

As a resort overall it was great, really relaxing, everyone was friendly and although it was full when we were there it never seemed busy. We loved it and will definately go back! Most people there were repeaters, so I think that speak volumes. One couple had been there 7 times and cocobay has only been there for 6 years.

If you're thinking of booking this place, do it - you will not regret it.

Tips
If you go into st.johns try roti king for lunch - its delicious!
Do the excellence boat trip around the island, it's a wonderful day!
Get a car and do some exploring, driving is easy over there.
Use deet, the mossies and flies are hungry especially 4pm onwards.
Go to Sheer, the setting and standard of food you will not find anywhere else.

9  Thank goatcurry
Reviewed 2 March 2008

GOOD POINTS:

Resort itself is attractive: Ocean Cottage with plunge pool was pretty and comfortable, although the bathroom was tatty for the price. Pool area is nicely done, restaurant area is simple but fits the setting.

Beach is beautiful, although there are only a limited number of banana leaf parasols that people stake their claim to before breakfast - shame to have to do that. Sand flies and mosqitos come out as the sun is going down - lots of deet from 4pm and long sleeves/trousers in the evening are necessary. The guys trying to sell you jet ski hire, etc are pests.

BAD POINTS:

Food: Breakfast buffet is fairly basic but okay.
Lunch: Average on the whole, except Saturdays, when the chef can't be bothered and serves cheap frozen beefburgers in tasteless bread buns with processed cheese squares. I was pretty disgusted and let the manager know that I thought so.
Dinner: Great starters and mains - as if prepared by a different kitchen - are imaginitive and stylishly presented. Let down by desert, always ice cream or fruit salad or a pie. Wine is pretty awful stuff. Disappointing overall.

Bar is stocked with the cheapest generic liquors available, which you do taste.

Service: almost universally BAD. Surly wait staff actually sighed and tutted when we asked nicely for a glass of the awful wine (when we were already half way through our dinner) or coffee. We were often left waiting at the bar for ten minutes while someone turned up to serve us.

We were left with the impression that since they already have your money (you're asked to pay in full when you check in), they pretty much take the micky from then on to maximise their profit at the expense of your enjoyment. We felt that value for money, at $420 per day, was a joke.

Check your bill when you leave - they tried to charge us for a spa treatment we never had.

We were sorely disappointed and would never go to cocobay again. With different management it could be very good, but we wouldn't take the chance.

4  Thank pjhlondon
Reviewed 23 February 2008

This resort is not suitable for anyone who is a bit or fully disabled or unsteady on their feet.
The staff, the food and location can not be faulted in anyway.
The bungalows are very basic and in need of a facelift as well as some comfy chairs to sit on.
My main gripe is the pathways and steps are very slippery when wet and very poorly lit. The steps are very uneven which caused me to have a very heavy fall and do damage to my right knee. Four (4) other people also injured themselves on the steps in the 2 weeks we were there (this was not due to the drink).

1  Thank devondumpling8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
9 mi away
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!