“the perfect honeymoon!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Moreno Valley, California
“the perfect honeymoon!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Cocobay was more then what my husband and I expected. We stayed for 5nts. (too short, wish we stayed longer) All the pictures online were just as beautiful but in person its even better. As soon as we arrived to the resort, we were greeted with rum punch and a nice cold towel. The resort staff is very friendly and always willing to help you in anyway. We booked the premium waterfront suite. omg, right when we walked in I was at awww... it was gorgous. The view of the beach and the water was amazing! The beach was quite, not too many vendors bug you. the water is clam and swimable. The drinks were delcious Cyeon made the best rum punch and bloody marys. The food was perfect, although we both wish for more options during breakfast, but the omelettes were always tasty. Lunch was great, everyday was a new menu. They also had panini's served at the pool. Tea time was at 4pm everyday, My husband and I always looked forward to dinner. We booked the premium waterfront suite so we were able to order the lobster everyday with other items at no extra charge. (must book through the resorts website)
The grounds were always kept clean and maintained. I loved the whole outdoor feel being in a tropical island. We were going to stay at a Sandals Resort, but glad we didnt. This resort is small and quite, unlike the huge crowds at any other all inclusive resort. Overall, being an all inclusive resort the quality was great and we cant wait to come back again for our up comming anniversaries!

Room Tip: the premium waterfront suites was worth the extra money, best views, a/c, and spacious. If you book...
2 Thank vnm1215

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Fairmont, MN
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I would rate our stay as a 31/2.

My wife and I just got back from a week at Cocobay. We arrived late on Saturday and still got the cool towel and rum punch. This is a first for us.

Our stay started out a little shaky. We had requested an upgrade to ac and sea front. We didn't get either one, but we did have a pretty good view of two different beaches.

The first morning breakfast was very disappointing. Actually, everyone but the last. I could not get them to fry my eggs the way I like them. I like them with soft yokes but no runny whites. They always over cooked on the first side and then by the time the whites were done...hard yolks. Finally, the last day, they were perfect. Otherwise, the food was all good.

My wife hit it off with Winston, the shell guy and got some neat shells.

My first meeting with Robert, the Hoby guy, was a little different, too. I was looking for towels and happened to walk behind the bar where he kept them. We yelled at me to keep away! All was cool after that and Robert became our favorite. Make sure you ask him to show you the "sleeping Indian"!

By the end of our week, we were very pleased we came to Cocobay. The pros way outweigh the cons and the place actually does grow on you. We met a lot of people from England and the US.

The biggest con for me was the rot got liquor. I could not drink the whiskey or the bourbon. We pay enough to stay at this resort that they could offer at least middle of the road booze. My preference is Jack but would be ok with Jim. Actually, the gin and vodka was just that...middle of the road, but drinkable.

Like everyone else has said, the staff is fantastic. Our bucket list is long but when it is empty we will definitely be back to Cocobay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Allgoodonesgone
Shropshire
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We don't normally look to stay in All Inclusive resorts but we needed somewhere in Antigua for 5 days and this place came up on lastminute.com. I actually booked direct with the hotel which was a little cheaper, perhaps their last minute deal was more up to date.

There were plenty of guests who just stayed in the hotel the whole time, I think we would have found that a little claustrophobic, we hired a car from the airport so could escape everyday, something I would recommend. We also went deep sea fishing with Fishing Antigua, a great day out even for people like us who know nothing about fishing.

Positives:
The staff are all great, they are all cheerful, efficient and make a real difference to the guests stay. I did notice some negative comments in trip advisor about the welcome, I think they must be reviewing a different place.

The sheds (bedrooms) are comfortable, large beds, mozzie nets, very quiet air conditioning, a fridge, an effective and hot shower and decent coffee making facilities.

Neither good nor bad: The food, it is high quality mass catering, not haute cuisine, there are some specials on the menu for which you pay extra, I tried one, it was not worth the extra $24.

Bad points:
Internet Charges - The charge $10US a day for Internet access, my wife and I are both self employed and have to access emails every day. How can an "all inclusive" claim that the Internet is an extra (the reason seems to be that they have not wired up the resort and have to give you a 4G mobile but this is a poor solution, these days people expect free WiFi, just as they expect hot water).

Credit card numbers, they took my credit card details when I booked, they took an imprint of my card when I arrived, they asked for the number again on the booking form and then took two imprints when I asked for Internet access. This seems unprofessional, in the past I have had trouble with my card being used by crooks in the USA where you don't need a PIN number or any other verification, this multiple collection of the data makes me feel uneasy.

Whilst driving round the island we saw a number of other resort hotels and none seemed to us as nice as Cocobay. For example Sandals seemed much classier but it is huge by comparison and their beach was crowded. Many others looked like they had seen better days and could do with a paint. A few very posh ones in little bays in the West of the Island looked good but they are a long way from anywhere, Cocobay is half way between St John's and English Harbour and only 5 minutes drive from Jolly harbour so it is easy to arrange fishing trips or go and pose next to a few superyachts (it was the charter boat show the next week and English Harbour was filling up with huge floating gin palaces in preparation).

In summary I would say Coco Bay is a good value option with very friendly staff and a good location. It is on the small side for an all inclusive and this makes it all the more personal.

1 Thank ShropshireOldfart
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Lets get the bad things out of the way first. You will get bitten by mossies so take some repellant. The rooms are rustic and in our view you definately need the air con. The shower drains through the door onto the ground underneath the room but we did not notice any smells so the system seems to work even if it is a little basic. The air con and fridge were noisy in room 19. We had a few ants in the room but nothing to worry about. The bed is covered by a netting but we did not see any mossies in the room during our stay in November. If you like to explore on foot you will need a taxi as there are no bars/shops within reasonable walking distance of the resort. So I suppose we were a little disappointed when we first checked in and went to our room.
Having said that the resort grows on you and by the end of our week we loved it. We just needed to chill out. The sea views from the balcony were fantastic and many a happy hour was spent in the balcony hammock watching the birds and especially the humming birds. The gardens and pathways of the resort are stunning. The food is nouveau cuisine and is very enjoyable but it would have been even better to have the full choice without having to pay the supplements of $25 per meal. The drinks are plentiful and the rum punch reputed to be one of the best. All the staff are wonderful and cannot do enough to make your stay a happy one. The beach is beautiful but the sea drops fairly quickly so non swimmers probably better using the lovely infinity pools. Many people we talked to were returning for the umpteenth time so its a resort that grows on you.

Room Tip: Get a room with air con and one with a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lorrandt
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed at coco bay resort for 9 days for our honeymoon and then went to Hermitage bay for the remaining 4 days. Coco bay is everything we expected and more. The staff is extremely friendly and helped made our stay memorable. O'Neal the resort manager gave us a wonderful welcome upon arrival with his staff. The bar tending staff were excellent, Melissa at the front desk is very knowledgeable and will promptly take care of arranging anything you need for your stay, and Robert in watersports was a lot of fun and helped us with the Kayacks and the Hobbiecat.

If you are looking for a very personalized boutique resort with exceptional value this is the place for you. You will get a very warm welcome and a very personalized stay with a staff who cares about your needs. The people here are just wonderful and the resort facilities are just beautiful and well kept.

We also arranged for the Cat Tales II catamaran with another 2 couples and that was one of the highlights of the vacation. A wonderful British couple charters the vessel and they bring you out on the boat and provide awesome drinks and a great lunch. Highly recommend it! It was 6 of us on the boat with them, much nicer than those hugh "cattlemaran" tours with 50 plus people.

In summary coco bay is a beautiful vacation with exceptional value where you will feel relaxed, and welcome there. It is a beautiful boutique hotel without huge crowds but there is still enough to do to keep you entertained during your stay.

Coco bay was the perfect honeymoon and we hope to be able to stay there again soon.

Room Tip: Get a seaview cottage, they have beautiful views and its worth the extra money. We had room #19 and...
1 Thank travler8367
Havertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I spent 7 days at Cocobay in May for our honeymoon. Everything about this place was amazing. After arriving 4 hours late because our plane couldn't land, we showed up and were greeted with rum punch and hot towels in the lobby. The staff knew about our flight, knew that we would be starving and had arranged for us to have the earliest dinner.

The service was amazing - the staff seems genuinely happy that you are there. The bartenders are all great! I really can't say enough about the staff. They leave you all sorts of drinks and surprises in your room. We came back from dinner one night and our room was covered in rose petals and candles. These little touches really made our honeymoon perfect.

Besides the staff, the resort is absolutely stunning. The view is unbelievable. We stayed in Fungee one of the premium suites. We didn't really use our plunge pool - but the outdoor bathtub was such a nice treat. Every picture that we took looks like it should be in a magazine. We had a couple of days with rain, and being able to lay out on our deck in the hammock was perfect.

The food was delicious. There was a good variety and it was all amazing. We didn't have one bad meal.

I would recommend Cocobay to anyone looking to disconnect from technology and relax in paradise.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laura m
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I just got back from 7 glorious days at Cocobay Resort in Antigua and I can’t even begin to describe how incredible our trip was. After much deliberation over where we would celebrate our nuptials we choose Cocobay at the recommendation from a friend who had visited there. Neither of us have really ever traveled outside of the US, so this was something we were really looking forward to and we were not disappointed! From the minute you arrive, being greeted with cold towels, a firm handshake and big smile from O’Neal, the incredible resort manager, and being whisked away to your serene cottage, it is all pure perfection. When you’re at Cocobay you really don’t have a care in the world and truly lose track of time—all the things a relaxing vacation should be. Some tips:

The Pro’s:
• The Cocobay Family—all are incredible, but I will comment on a few of our favorites. Our favorite day time bar tender was Sashika, who went out of her way to make me a fresh strawberry daiquiri, and night time bartender Oriel, who perfected my extra dirty martini! The drinks are strong and delicious (I recommend taking a Tervis tumbler or insulated cup as they’ll keep your drinks cold and you’ll get a bigger pour.) All the wait staff are friendly and always have a smile and say hello. Phyllis at the front desk, as well as Melissa, the concierge were both incredibly accommodating and helped with any questions, reservations or really anything you need. O’Neal, the resort manager, has perfected customer service. He is present and available every day at the resort, talks to the guests every day, and makes sure to try and accommodate any request you have. Our favorite staff member was Robert, the water sports guy—he is a blast! Not only will he get you set up with the Hobie Cat or kayak, he’ll go out on the water with you and is just all-around a wonderful guy with such a big heart!
• The food is very tasty and I like the variety of lunch and dinner options. Keep in mind, the portion sizes are more European, so if you’re a big eater you may want to order 2 dinners or help yourself a few times at the lunch buffet.
• The pools, grounds and beach are flawless—if you ever want to see picture pure perfection—this is the right place for it. The sunsets are unlike any other I’ve ever encountered.
• The fact that there is no TV and you pay for Internet—yes, this is a PRO for me. We wanted to get away from the world and completely disconnect—this model is conducive to that lifestyle, which was just fine for us.
• The candlelight beach dinner was incredible and a night my husband and I will cherish forever (worth the extra money and highly recommend you do this).
• The little touches—the candles and flower petals that showed up in our room one night; the bottle of English Rum O’Neal had sent to our room upon arrival; stocking our bar with champagne and other goodies; the roasted coconut and fresh rum punch that was brought to our room on our last night.

The Con’s: There’s not much “bad” I can say about this place or our trip in general—these are more suggestions than anything:
• I do wish there was more variety at breakfast—they do serve most of the same items every day. While Sonia’s omelets and fresh fruit are delicious, I would’ve liked to have more options.
• Definitely bring OFF—the sandflies will get you on the beach and you won’t see them
• While I love fruity beach drinks, I don’t love syrupy fruity drinks. Having fresh fruit available for the drinks would be nice. We didn’t figure out they could make fresh banana daiquiris until closer to the end of our stay. (Again, if you ask, they’ll find a way to make it happen).

Trip Recommendations:
• Book directly through Cocobay to save 10%. Also, we stayed in a Sea View room and it had a great view. For a bit more money though you can stay in a Sea Front room or Oceanfront room (with an even better view) and if you do the supplemental menu is included in that price—it is not included in the Seaview or any room below that. It’s worth the extra money up front to be able to get the supplemental menu, as we ordered items off of there (ie: lobster).
• For excursions my husband and I are both very active people so we decided to rent bicycles one day and ride into St. John’s. While both of us normally feel comfortable riding bikes on busy roads I did NOT feel comfortable riding on the roads there. The bikes were really cheap and very basic, we had no helmets and the roads are just down-right scary to ride on, as there is no shoulder and cars flying at you. Also, be mindful of where you go once you get into St. John’s. While we never had a bad experience just try and stay more close to the duty free area if you are from out of the country—you’ll feel more comfortable there.
• The absolute best thing we did on our trip was reserve a private catamaran tour, through Cat Tales II. We paired up with 2 other couples from the resort that we had be-friended that week and all decided to do the private tour rather than the big circumnavigation tours with 70+ people. And, it was well worth it! Not only was it less money per person to do this, we weren’t shuffled around like animals on the traditional “cattlemaran” tours. We spent 4 glorious hours with this fun, safe and hospitable couple, Captain James and Sherrill—the owners/operators of Cat Tales II, and were so impressed with their level of service. They were top-notch through the whole trip--from the best rum punch (totally different than any other on the island), to the beautiful lunch they served us (they even went out of their way to make me a piece of fresh caught mahi-mahi, as I don't eat chicken), to providing towels, scuba gear and even taking some great photos for us too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marisa T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,681 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!