“the best holiday ever!”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed 11 August 2008

i do hope that this hotel is not suffering on the back of the awful events at its sister resort recently. This really was the best holiday that I have had and I cannot recommend this resort highly enough.
Prior to going I had read several reviews on this site which were negative about food, rooms or service. My girlfriend and I stayed for two weeks and we found everything to be fantastic. Service was excellent and the standard of food and drink were much better than you would expect from an all inclusive resort. Shear restaurant was excellent and is worth a visit as a special treat (actually not all that expensive)
We found the service excellent and the rooms amazing. we had no big problems with bugs in rooms (one cockroach found) but we did get bitten a bit by sandflies on some days on the beach.
My only minor complaint was that on some days the room did get a bit hot and humid (but mostly ok) and if I visited again I would pay extra to have one of the few rooms with aircon.
Overall, brilliant and highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mooYorkUK

Reviewed 10 August 2008

This hotel is a great spot to relax and spend a few vacation days in the carribeans. It's not a typical luxury hotel with a lot of activities, but a cute, rustic and friendly resort with excellent food (again simple and homemade) and a free bar. Overall, I had a very good time at this hotel. I would recomment this hotel for couples, but not for families with young kids.

• Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank mjs2121
Reviewed 25 July 2008

If , like me, you look at the reviews on trip advisor to help make your mind up or give you some peace of mind on a choice already made, let me reaasure you on Cocobay. What you see is what you get with this hotel. If you are looking for a rustic, chilled out, quiet and relaxed experience in the Carribean, then this is a good choice for you.

Location: The location is fabulous - in a great part of the island with beautiful sandy beaches, stunning blue seas and panoramic views. The resort in itself is picture postcard pretty with the little plantation cottages cutting a fine figure on the bluff.

Rooms: The rooms are basic but very comfortable. The bed is nice and big which is bonus and the mosquito nets are invaluable. The balcony is a good place to laze of an afternoon and the hammocks are extremely comfortable. The bathroom has doors which open onto the balcony and you can have an open air shower if you so please, which is lovely! We found that the water pressure was just fine in the shower.

Food and Drink: This seems to be where a lot of the negative reviews on this web site come from and let me reassure you on this right away. The food is absolutely fine, much better than average, and of excellent quality for an all inclusive. My husband and I had never been on an all inclusive holiday before and after the reviews we were expecting a fairly bog standard buffet type service but we were pleasantly surprised. The service was buffet at breakfast although fresh eggs were prepared any way you wanted them by the ladies on the stove in the buffet area. There was plenty of choice and tea and coffee served to your table. Lunch was another buffet affair with at least 3 main dishes available, soup, salad and dessert if you wanted it. Afternoon tea with cake and sandwiches was available from 4pm although we didn't really take advantage of this so I can't comment too much. Dinner was a la carte 5 nights and buffet for 2 nights. Several choices were availble on the menu and they were all prepared to a high standard with a good range of produce. Admittedly, your plate was not piled sky high with food, but my husband and I both agreed that the portions were perfect, as you had at least 4 courses so there was more than enough food to fill you up. To be blunt, how people can write that they go hungry in this resort is unfair criticism. How much do people want to eat?!

The drinks were all good. The local beer (Wadadli) was lovely and the range of cocktails on offer was great. The drinks are only served in plastic cups if you are taking them away from the bar area over to the pool or down to the beach. If you are staying around the bar, they serve them in normal glasses. The beers are not served in pint glasses but rather half pint sized glasses so all you do is finish the one you have and then ask for another one when you're ready. It's absolutely not a problem!

Entertainement: Apart from a couple of musicians and a steel band while we were there, the entertainement was rather thin on the ground but we weren't disappointed by that. The resort is meant to be calm and tranquil and we didn't go there to party til all hours every night so we were more than happy. I can understand why some people may find it a bit too quiet for them, but it really all depends on what you're looking for.

Mosquitoes: There are plenty of them around and we saw some nasty looking bites on people. I am usually the first person bitten and tend to be allergic to bites, however we treated our mosquito net with some permethrin spray, I used 100% DEET mosquito repellent in the evenings and we were both absolutely fine. I didn't get any bites. Just take a bit of care and it's fine.

Trips: We went to St Johns which was a nice half day outing, on the Landrover and Kayaking trip (not bad although perhaps a bit expensive) and up to Shirley Heights for the BBQ (good fun, nice BBQ and great music.)

To sum up, if you're looking for all singing all dancing, shiny bathrooms, wifi access and fluffy bathrobes, this isn't the place for you. This resort is rustic, good value for money and a resful place to go for a relaxed Carribbean break. When we left we had an "extras" bill of 7$US so it is true to its all inclusive name and holds no nasty surprises in store at the end of your stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Clydeview
Reviewed 24 July 2008

My wife and I recently had our wedding at Cocobay Resort and had a fantastic experience. The front desk, wedding planner and room service staff members truly understand customer service! Upon our arrival, the resort manager greeted us personally, and for the next 9 days, knew our names--and those of our family members as well as our relationship (mother/aunt/brother...). The front desk attendants and wedding planner did the same and made us feel incredibly welcome and comfortable.

One of our family members had difficulty with airlines; the resort manager took us into his private office and made at least 100 calls on their behalf trying to locate them and to arrange flights. He truly went beyond what was required and certainly what was expected.

This resort positions itself as one where relaxation is paramount. Take them seriously! There are no phones, tv's, internet or means of connecting with the outside world from your room. If you need something from your room, you have to walk to the front desk and inform them. If you want a drink from the bar, you will have to walk to the bar.

Our one disappointment (and it was minor) was that the restaurant service staff was somewhat less-than-attentive. The maitre d' was wonderful and very cheerful; however, if you're expecting 5-star service (ie, water glass never going empty, plates immediately cleared...) you won't get it. If you are high-maintenance and need coddling, you will find this annoying. After a few days of "slowing down," we didn't mind though!

In all, we thoroughly enjoyed our wedding/honeymoon and would recommend this resort to all our friends. Just keep in mind that you aren't going to the Ritz Carlton and you'll be fine!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Carefree-Vacation
Reviewed 15 July 2008

After reading quite a few not so good reviews before we went, my husband and I were not looking forward to going to Cocobay resort. What can I say - it was lovely. If you want a relaxing, get away from it all holiday then this is the place to be. An ideal honeymoon resort.

What can you not like about Cocobay? Individual private wooden accommodation with views to die for. Wake up in the morning and take in the Carribean sea.

We had no reason to complain about the staff being too laid back - what is there to rush for, you are not going anywhere. Take a leaf out of their book and chill out.

We would recommend the little bar between Cocobay and Jolly Harbour for a nice chilled bottle of wine and a lobster meal - very reasonably priced.

Take a walk along the beach behind Denis's bar - very romantic!

The only down side are the mosquitoes and sand flies but these are beyond your control. Take plenty of repelant and cream and you will be fine. A small price to pay!

All in all, a beautiful place. Take a book, go snorkelling or stay at the bar! Whatever you do, relax, chill out and enjoy. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank s_jstuart
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We arrived at cocobay june 27th after the comments i had previously read we were very dubious, however we enjoyed cocobay immensley, the staff were brilliant very pleasant and helpful especially Phyllis and Monique Kerry in the reataurant was also very attentive The rooms were rustic but very clean and we didn,t encounter any creepy crawlies at all. The food was very good and varied (whoever said portions were small must be very greedy) Breakfast and lunch were selfservice so you can eat as much as you like I wasn,t to keen on the wine, but there was plenty of other drinks to compensate so this wasn,t a problem Entertainment was minimal on an evening but relaxing by the infinity pool was great total chill time The bar staff were a little slow and often wandered off, and yes bigger size glasses would have eased the situation There were numerous weddings whilst we were there and they were amazing Monique did a superb job with everyone Overall a brilliant stay will be back asap

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank stingray24
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I’ve read the reviews on here for a long time, ever since we booked our honeymoon back in July 2007 and I was very worried about some of the negative reviews I was reading!!! However, for all those who are worried HAVE NO FEAR! This place is amazing!!!

I can not understand those who complain about this resort – I think those people must be looking for something more like a Sandals resort. If Sandals is your sort of thing don’t go here and then you wont be disappointed.

I’ll break it down as previous people have as I think it’s easier to read that way.

Rooms:
We had a Sea Front room, we booked this coz as it was our honeymoon we wanted the best! We had a plunge pool which was fantastic! This was warm when the sun was out all day but could get cold if it was cloudy – but this seemed colder I think purely because we were so hot!! The view was amazing, everything we could have wanted, and there were better views available!!

Again I don’t know how anyone can complain about the rooms – the website and brochures show a clear view of what the room will be like so what more do they expect?? The bed was lovely – King size so plenty of room. Someone complain about the mozzie net being claustrophobic – oh my god what do you expect it’s the tropics!!!! If you don’t want to get bitten to pieces then don’t use it but the net is common sense and I think looks quite nice.

The rooms are not the height of chic nor ultra modern but they are clean and simple and very pretty. The basic, rustic feel adds to the whole experience and is why we booked this resort in the first place!

Beaches:
There are some fabulous beaches around. We went to 3 - one right at the bottom of the huts, the main resort beach and a beach just round the corner from the main one.

The beach at the bottom of the huts doesn’t look that attractive but as its within the bay the water is like a bath, and as its so shallow you can walk for miles!! In the end me and my husband enjoyed this beach the most as there were only a couple of sunloungers so it felt as though you had to whole beach to yourself!!!

The main hotel beach is nice and if you’re early enough 8.30 – 9am you’ll have the pick of the loungers (that might seem early but trust me you’ll wake up early everyday naturally).

The beach round the corner from Dennis’ Bar is amazing!!! You’re stereotypical tropical beach – fantastic. The only problem here is that there are no sun loungers and my other half doesn’t like lying on the sand so we didn’t spend to much time here. I loved I though, very peaceful and beautiful.

Pool:
The pool is lovely; we’d often spend the morning down at the beach and come up to the pool in the afternoon when it seemed to be a bit quieter. We always found a sunlounger to lie on even when the resort was fully booked. There were some annoying people who would put their towel on beds and then not come back for about 3 hrs but then I think you find those annoying people in most places don’t you and its not the resorts fault!

Bar:
I truly can not believe some people have commented that the drinks have been watered down! Either they are alcoholics or they have let all the ice melt so of course it will be more watery! I like my cocktails but the ones here were way too strong for me – but just ask them to add more juice and its fine. I thought there was a good choice and I liked the beer. Again people who have complain its just purely down to taste. The wine wasn’t that nice but hey its Antigua not France!

Staff:
The staff are very friendly if you talk to them. Sure some of them look grumpy but I think its all to do with the Caribbean cool, laid back attitude – there was one waiter who was a bit grumpy but that’s coz I think he was only about 19!! Lol!

Food:
I loved the food!! And there was more then enough choice and enough there to go back several times!! I think the people who say they are left hungry at the evening meal must be used to HUGE portions! How can you possibly be left hungry after a big breakfast, big lunch, tea and then a 4 course evening meal!!! If you eat normally then you’ll be fine here. Breakfast would be served from 7.30 – 9.30, Lunch 12.30-2.30, Tea 4-5, and dinner from 6.30. You have to pre book your time slot to eat in the restaurant in the evening – some reviews have moaned about this but I didn’t find it a problem, just do it on your way down to breakfast and you’ll have the pick of time slots.

Tea could be a problem purely because if you arrived after 4.15 most of it was gone. Though this wasn’t always the case just in the final week – I think it depends what the other guests were like. There were some people there in the final week that ate masses and masses (I wonder if they are the ones who complain about the food in recent reviews) and didn’t give a thought to other guests. Just make sure you get there at 4 is my advice.

Breakfast you had a choice of pancakes, fruit, cereal, muffins and eggs – the ladies which cook the eggs are fabulous!!
Lunch you had salad, vegetables, a meat dish and fish. The fish was fabulous, really meaty fish – one day we had shark!! Plus a choice of desert.
Tea was sandwiches and home made biscuits.
Dinner, starter, soup, main and desert.

Evening entertainment:
This wasn’t great but then im not a fan of forced evening entertainment; here it is very much a case of having to make your own entertainment. 2 nights a week the resort had entertainment – a cocktail night on Thursdays and on the Sunday we were there a steel band. The steel band were great but the cocktail night was dull and was exactly the same over the 2 Thursdays we were there. We took a pack of cards and often would play a game after dinner. Plus this resort is meant to be a relaxing, romantic get away – you’re meant to spend quality time with your other half!

Trips:
We went on 2 trips. The catamaran around the island with Wadaldi and scuba diving.
The catamaran trip was great and the staff were so funny – well worth doing if you want a brief look at the whole island.
The scuba diving was AMAZING!!! I would recommend this to anyone. We saw the most colourful fish and even swam and touched a turtle. We went with Jolly Dive and they were great, really professional and put you totally at ease. I’d never done scuba diving before but they made it so easy you couldn’t go wrong. I would love to do it again!

Overall I would recommend this to anyone who wanted a peaceful, relaxing and romantic holiday. This is not a sandals holiday its basic and rustic and full of charm.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
13  Thank VickiWhite83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!