“Paradise - perfect getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Paradise - perfect getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I can't say enough about how amazing and unforgettable our experience was at Cocobay. If you are looking for a more intimate and romantic all inclusive where you can relax, this is definitely the place to go. From the minute my boyfriend and I arrived, the staff was extremely accommodating and went out of their way to make sure we were having the best experience possible. We were greeted with cold towels and rum punch and were surprised with several unexpected perks, including a room upgrade for the first night, food upgrades for no additional charge and a bottle of rum, champagne and wine in the room. Both rooms were gorgeous and had spectacular views. I booked a deluxe pool cottage, which was definitely worth it because the views alone were breathtaking. We were in OL so it was very private as well. Rooms are very clean with views from all angles. Beaches are gorgeous and well maintained. Both infinity pools have stunning views and ample seating. All meals were delicious. Breakfast and lunch are both buffet style and offer many options including an egg station at breakfast and fresh fish everyday for lunch. The dinner menu changes every night but always offers a good selection of appetizers and entrees. I truly cannot compliment the staff enough because they always went out of their way to make you feel comfortable. We took advantage of the kayaks and snorkeling at the resort, which are free. We also paid $50 for 30 min on a jet ski, which was so fun!

Overall, I highly recommend this resort if you're looking to relax and unwind. One thing I would recommend is to book directly through Cocobay because you seem to get better perks. Additionally, it is worth paying the extra money for a better room - not only because the rooms and views are gorgeous, but again you seem to get better perks.

I'd definitely go back to Cocobay in the future because it really was an amazing experience!!!

Room Tip: Recommend going with at least the deluxe pool cottage
1 Thank Brianna1991

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have just returned from a perfect holiday in paradise celebrating our Silver Wedding anniversary. 10 days at Cocobay was everything we had hoped it would be and more although I would have loved to have stayed for longer! It was a beautiful location and setting; our cottage, suite 34 had a stunning sea view and was not overlooked by any other cottage. It was so quiet and we did not feel like we were staying in a hotel at all, as it did not have neighbours that you were aware of at any time. You won't find glitz, glamour and gold taps here thankfully, as that is not what this gorgeous island is all about. You need to go somewhere else if luxurious trimmings are your thing! We loved sitting on our deck in the early evenings watching the hummingbirds and wildlife and nesting birds. The sounds all around are exquisite and are definitely a wonderful part of life here. The sunsets were stunning and views from both infinity pools amazing. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and they all really seemed to want to make your holiday special and stopped to chat and find out how we were getting on. We were greeted everywhere we went with happy smiles and greetings. Service in both of the bars and restaurant was very attentive and the food excellent. I have no idea what some the negative comments previously were about and can only assume that they had not holidayed in Antigua before and maybe should book somewhere else next time as they completely missed the point of this beautiful and charming island and more specifically this wonderful resort. The food in the restaurant was very good- a wide range of salads and freshly cooked fish and meat at lunchtime and then an Al a carte menu in the evenings with 3 choices for each course. It was beautifully presented and delicious. I couldn't be bothered to queue for eggs and omelettes in the mornings at breakfast and was very content with all the other hot choices and wonderful fresh fruit, but my husband was more than happy to wait for his freshly cooked omelette or eggs and joined the queue every morning! The beach has lots of sunbeds and umbrellas and trees for shade, but it is necessary to get there earlyish. Snorkelling was possible from the resort but for really stunning coral reefs and fish , it's a good idea to take a trip. We went out with Creole Cruises for their lobster lunch trip which was lovely, with several snorkelling stops and also a lobster lunch on Bird island cooked on the beach. Delicious! It was great fun and well worth doing and only a small group of 9 when we did it. Driving in Antigua is very easy and most cars seem to come with sat nav, so not a problem navigating this wonderful little island. Lots to see and do and so many stunning beaches to explore. I think I can honestly say that this was one of the best holidays we have ever had and are definitely planning to go back to Antigua and would definitely stay at Cocobay.

Room Tip: Definitely book a seaview room if poss!
2 Thank emmajwebber
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I can't say enough about how wonderful our vacation was at Cocobay; the comfortable, relaxing room with the wonderful view, the delicious food including the breakfast omelette bar, the relaxing beach, and friendly, competent staff - and they kept surprising us with extra, unexpected niceties. When we arrived, there was a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room, then the porter who had brought our bags came back to our room to bring us a bottle of Antiguan rum and a snack. One night we returned from dinner to find flower petals strewn all over the floor of our room, interspersed with a dozen electric candles to complete the romantic setting. And everyone - everyone! - on the staff was friendly and attentive. It was so outstanding that we even tried to cancel our plans to stay at another resort on the island for the second half of our vacation and stay at Cocobay for the duration of our visit, but all of their rooms were booked. While we were waiting at the airport for our flight home we started making our plans to return. I can't wait!

Room Tip: Splurge for the cabin with the premium view - definitely worth it!
1 Thank Colleen M
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

If you are looking for a vacation where you can really get away from everything and truly relax, this is the perfect place to go. The beaches, the pools, the views - everything - was breathtaking, and the staff were singularly focused on making sure we had a great stay and would return again. Although not luxurious, our rooms was comfortable and had the basic modern conveniences (air conditioner, etc.). What it lacked in luxury was more than made up for with the amazing view, the privacy and the personal terrace and plunge pool (courtesy of the upgrade we received) that was simply incredible. We loved the resort and would recommend it highly for those looking less for action and adventure and more for relaxation.

2 Thank EQP1973
Northeast Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent 2 nights in a Seaview Cottage with plunge pool upon our arrival in Antigua for the first time. Very friendly staff immediately made us feel special and welcome and informed us of upgrade to a cottage with pool. My wife & I were sharing the cottage with our adult son, and while sleeping quarters were a bit tight, it was excellent all around.
Many Brits, Canadians, Europeans throughout - the resort was full during our stay. A variety of pools, a good stretch of beach, very relaxed and adults only. [We were chartering a boat for cruising and on while a visit to the Jolly Harbor Marina stopped by the JH Resort gift shop and were totally put off by the (American) family groups over-running that place - totally appreciated our quieter, far more refined atmosphere at Cocobay.]
3 minor downsides:
- Dinner entrees included were not so numerous and the beef was shoe leather one night. The "supplemental" entrees looked good though. Otherwise all food was fine, included wine was good; Breakfast was great with omelets/eggs to order, etc., and lunch was fine and varied to suit most tastes.
- Beach chairs ran out quickly - if slow to claim them in the morning - but beach itself was lovely.
- One evening an employee went by our cottage with a pesticide smoke treatment - noisy and very smelly for a bit, and with no warning. Staff should have given us a heads up - not pleasant to be in the plunge pool coughing insecticide smoke. Upside: no bug issues whatsoever.

The rooms & amenities described by other reviewers sound right on - our AC worked well when needed and nice breeze kept everything comfortable otherwise. All in all a really GREAT place to be for R&R, and seemed perfect for couples looking for a quiet, well-maintained, unpretentious, no-kids get away spot. Kudos to management and staff for making our first visit so enjoyable and easy!

Room Tip: Our Seaview (Room 02) faced north and had nice view over bay - with just trees and a cottage roof in...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Seneca, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Such a great resort, amenities, and a staff that had completely impressed me. I went to this resort for downtime and relaxation--as a single person, I didn't know what to expect being surrounded by all couples. Guests were from all over the world, were so kind, fun to be around, and I never felt lonesome. Booking late, I had to switch rooms four times, but I actually loved doing it! I got to experience the best room offered, and my other three rooms were also fantastic. Benefit for booking directly with Cocobay vs. travel agent--perks--mini-bar stocked daily, food upgrades for no additional charge--so worth it!
I had zero mosquito issues and I gladly shared my insect repellant with the Brits who were getting some bites --but not in the rooms! I rarely repeat resorts, but if given the chance, I would gladly visit Cocobay again. Hopefully, with a date the next time!

Special thanks to all of the staff---Mr. Gore, Keva, Duane, Cicely, Kerry Lynn, and Cheryl - thank you for taking such good care of me! I hope our paths will cross again soon!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly. They will help. Best room: Chantel House (premium waterfront ) Pepp...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ronda r
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from a fantastic, 20th anniversary stay at Cocobay. What a wonderful place. It was our first time in Antiqua. As many others have stated, this is not the place for you if you like action, resort activities (they are available but we didn't choose to partake) and crowded bars that are open all night. It is the exact opposite. Totally relaxing atmosphere, unpretentious with a super friendly staff. O'neal and his staff were wonderful from start to finish.

My wife and i stayed in a premium ocean front cottage. Worth every penny. The name of our cottage was Chattel House. Awesome! Very Private and right on top of the water. Bathroom was updated nicely. Shower opened to a great view of the ocean. Very cool. Bedroom looked directly out into the water so the views in the morning were awesome. The deck was spacious with 2 lounges, 2 chairs, hammocks available, bathtub on the deck and a plunge pool. Pool water was a bit chilly but with the morning sun, very comfortable and refreshing. there was also a nicely stocked mini-fridge with beer, wine, rum, juice, sodas and water. there also is an expresso maker. This allowed for coffee in the morning and a drink late night on the deck. It was re-stocked daily as well.

With the all inclusive, the food was very good. Breakfast had eggs to order, pancakes, meats, fruits and cereal. Lunch had fish, vegetables, soup, meats. Dinners were changed daily. 4 courses with appetizer, soup, main course and desert. Since we made our reservation through the resort, lobster and steak were served at no additional cost. Obviously, we took advantage of that. Also, drinks were available with beer, soft drinks and a nice wine list. All in all the food was very good.

Beaches and pools were all very inviting. Both pools are very nice with lounges and a bar close by. There is no pool/beach-side service so it was nice to have it near the pool. from the beach you had to walk...but not far. We spent time at both pools and the beach. The beach is fantastic. Very clean, no-one bugging you to buy goods (however there was table of local art near the beach entrance to the resort but the locals manning it were not pushy at all. They could use a few more chairs on the beach as if you were not there early, it would be possible to not get a seat. It did happen to us but we just went to the pool. Not a big deal but something that could be easily fixed with a few more chairs. The only negative about the beach is on Wednesdays, the cruise ships come in and passengers are shuttled to the beaches. at around 11:00, 25 or so cruisers ended up on our beach. They were somewhat loud (had music playing) and obnoxious. I wouldn't have minded had they made there way to the other end of the beach but the plopped down right at the bottom of the steps onto the beach. Also, the resort allowed them to use the "facilities" which i thought was not something they should do. But, they were buying alot of drinks so I am sure the money the resort takes in makes it worth it for them. also, they were drinking bottled beer which they must have brought themselves. Not a big deal but when they were all in the water with bottles, in my mind that is not something you do. We did get up and leave the beach after a while because it had become annoying. last, many reviews mention the bugs We had no issues with them. I did bring Off and sprayed a bit on my feet and ankles in the morning and got no bites. I think my wife got one but not even sure that was at the beach.

Last but certainly not least...The STAFF! Wonderful experience from the driver that picked us up at the airport to reception, wait staff, bartenders, etc. They all went out of their way to make you feel comfortable. O'neal, thanks for wonderful experience.

This resort is a place to go if you want to relax and totally unplug. The views are SPECTACULAR!! Everywhere you look, you see beauty. Wonderful climate and nice breeze. I would definitely recommend Cocobay to friends and hope to return at some point.

1 Thank DKLAG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,608 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!