“Honeymoon relaxation”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Honeymoon relaxation”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Cocobay turned out to be more than we could have ever imagined. We were looking for a smaller, boutique hotel and we got all that and more. Overall review from our experience: this is a great, rustic boutique resort that is perfect if you want great food and privacy. Do not come here expecting the Ritz, you will be with nature (geckos, birds, etc), which I think is the whole reason you would want to come to Cocobay!

First, the rooms. If you want privacy and beautiful views, you will get them. Our bungalow was #22, perfect sea view room. Air conditioner was a life saver as the end of May was pretty muggy. Each room feels personal and is just the space you need to unwind, sleep, and enjoy a book or coffee on the hammock, which I especially recommend.

Second, the food. Despite what others have said on TripAdvisor, I thought the food was delicious. Being a pescatarian, I was pleased with the variety of meat, fish and vegetarian options. Breakfast was pretty much the same every day, but lunch and dinner were different every day. Very fresh, well seasoned, and portioned perfectly.

Third, the drinks. The bartenders are wonderful at accommodating requests. Great selection of liquors, not just your well stuff. Especially the Antiguan rum, delicious.

Fourth, the service. Overall, service was wonderful. You would every now and again run into a staff member who was less than friendly, but all were helpful. Many went over and above expectation and we were overall pleased.

Lastly, the atmosphere. Antigua is beautiful and Cocobay makes your visit even more exquisite. We wanted a relaxing, honeymoon getaway and we got exactly that. We wish we would have done some of the excursions, but I guess it is just an excuse to visit again, which we definitely will!

Room Tip: Make sure it is a sea view room and has AC.
2 Thank mrsbryarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Cocobay was the destination for our honeymoon and the excellent location with amazing views over crystal clear waters and golden beaches from our villa was just the most amazing setting. A small and friendly resort with staff who were so welcoming and happy to help in any way through every area of the resort. Would love to back there and hope to be soon

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Damps1982
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon at Cocobay Resort in mid April. The reviews on TripAdvisor have it nailed pretty accurately. The views are unmatched anywhere on the island. The bay that it overlooks is tranquil and has very smooth turquoise water.

We upgraded our room to the Premium Suite and I would have to highly recommend this to anyone looking to stay here. The room isn't luxurious but it is extremely comfortable and relaxing. We thought the bed was fantastic, the shower that opens up to the outside was just breathtaking and the hammock, daybed, outdoor claw foot tub and plunge pool made our room one of the most serene we've ever stayed in. We had absolutely no issues with bugs, mosquito's, spiders or anything of that sort.

The Property:
The property is absolutely beautiful with flowers everywhere. The grounds are meticulously taken care of, the lower pool sand is raked every day and the the crew is out there picking up any foliage that had dropped, making sure that it was clean and tended. The open air dining and bar areas were awesome and the views were just stunning.

The Staff:
Upon arrival we felt like we were the most important people there. They did a great job showing us around the property, the room and giving us a breakdown of what to expect on a daily basis. We did feel like the restaurant staff could use some improvements. I would say we were pleased with the service, attention and attitudes about 40% of the time, the other 60% left a LOT to be desired. There were certainly a few who were very good and as everyone on here seems to mention, Sonia (the omelet lady) was so sweet and attentive.

Improvements:
This place is SO close to being incredible, however, there were several hurdles that just kept it from being truly spectacular.

This is an all inclusive resort and when I booked my room, I was asked which liquors I would like in our mini-bar. Not one day were any of those liquors stocked. On day one, we went to reception and mentioned there was nothing in there and they graciously brought us a bottle of rum, however, it was never restocked with anything but water and sodas. Not sure why I was asked what my liquor preference was if I never received any of it.

While I do understand the simplistic approach to the guest rooms, it would be so helpful if there was some documentation in the rooms stating simple things like times for tea, policies for renting the non motorized equipment, menus, etc. I get there is a concierge and all but this info would have been nice to have in the room.

Please stock the rooms with some simple snacks. This place is definitely All-Inclusive*, the asterisks is there because it kind of is all inclusive, but it kind of isn't. If you miss a meal or get hungry at any time, your out of luck. It would have been so nice to just grab a bag of pretzels and brought them down to the beach with us or on a hike or on a day we went into town, etc. Yes I understand there is a gift shop, however, no way I am paying for snacks when I am already forking over a substantial amount of money for their top suite. We commented on this numerous times how nice it would be just to have a couple snacks included in the minibar.

Finally, yes, this place is serene and relaxing and it should come to no surprise that it is NOT a bustling resort. We knew that going in, however, by day 5 we started to get a bit stir crazy. If they just simply had cards and board games in the common room or bar it would have gone a long way to providing some sort of entertainment. Yes they have music a few nights but that typically ended at 9 or 10pm.

In summation, the resort was very good and was SO close to being perfect. We very much enjoyed our time and would at least consider going back again, however, probably not for 7 nights. The location and views are what really makes this resort stand out among the others, but if they just took a few extra steps, it could truly be the best on the island. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting couples from around the world and feel like we made some good friends in the short time we were there.

Room Tip: Pay the money and go for the Premium Suite. At the very least, get a Waterfront. It does make a di...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ryman982
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I too visited CocoBay for my honeymoon this May. Ill try to make this reader friendly because I could go on for days.

Staff= 10/10
Room & View (premium suite) = 12/10!!
- Breakfast = 10/10
- Lunch = 9/10 ( we like panini at the lower bar )
- Dinner = 10/10
Resort Quality and Beach = 10/10
Personality of Guests and Staff = 10/10
Things to do = anything you want - jet skis, snorkle, zip line, atv tours, catamarans, horseback riding, massage, candlelight dinner on the beach, you name it!

The mosquitoes were not bad at all in May. We got bites one night, but the hotel sprays regularly to abate insects and mosquitoes. A touch of off got rid of them all without issue. The views are UN REALLL - I spoke with O Neal the manager about how beautiful everything was; they pride themselves on making the place more beautiful than photos can justify. These photos DONT BEGIN to do justice of how beautiful this place is. I have been to a few spots in North Bahamas and the mountains and water of Antigua just take your breath. Locals are awesome and friendly. Every time we did an excursion we were longing to return to CocoBay because of its beauty and prestige. Super laid back but extremely classy and well kept. Views are irreplacable, pools are beautiful, drinks and food are perfect. Fresh linens each day and surpises in the room from the staff and managment! Couldn't be better and my wife and I hope to return as soon as possible. IF at all in your budget, you MUST do the premium waterfront suite, its expensive, but worth every dime. - Josh C.

Room Tip: Premium Waterfront Suite - So worth it!!
3 Thank Josh C
North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I spent 7 nights at Cocobay for our honeymoon in May. When pulled up to the hotel, I teared up because of how beautiful everything was. The layout and landscaping of the property were well thought out in order to provide privacy and lush beauty. Our room was simple, but had AMAZING views and tons of privacy. The shower had a door opening to the deck, and showering with views of the Caribbean and a fresh breeze was amazing. The two pools were absolutely gorgeous with great views. Food was good, with a changing menu every night for dinner. The rum punch was delicious (and they were NOT skimpy on the rum). We felt very pampered and relaxed the entire time.

2 Thank ratherboutside
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What can I say about Cocobay resort? When I first arrived I was a little disappointed as the resort didn’t look too great on the approach, but let me tell you that is where the disappointment ended. We walked in and we greeted like long lost friends and handed a cold towel along with a refreshing drink.

My amazing husband had organised our entire trip and had upgraded us to a cottage with a plunge pool, well worth it! Our cottage “The Palms or TP” had the most stunning views, air conditioning, and comfy bed complete with mosquito net.

But the best thing about Coco Bay is the staff. They are possibly the nicest people in the world, nothing is ever too much trouble. I could make a list which could go on forever of individuals who made our trip special by going that extra mile. However, Football Mad Oriel, The Cocktail King Davern, and the blessing that is Debbie are three who I have to thank in particular.

As an all-inclusive resort I was concerned about the food, expecting the usual recycled buffet. Cocobay again exceeded my expectations: At breakfast the “egg” station is usually manned by Sonia who makes an awesome omelette, and there is also bacon, pancakes, fruit and cereals. Lunch is usually fish and meat with salad and fruit. Or you can grab a Panini for the beach bar. Afternoon tea is served at the main bar around 4pm. Then Dinner is a four course meal with good choices. So trust me, you won’t go hungry.

Wi-Fi: for $10 (USD) you can purchase a Wi-Fi devise to carry around with you, it does need charging every five hours or so. But this is a cheap way to keep in touch with the rest of the world while you are lost in paradise.

I wouldn’t say the resort is wheelchair friendly, as there are steps between each of the areas. However, I do have a bad back and found getting around ok. I had a little help from my husband one of the slopes, (which was a little steep for me), but I managed to go up and down it quite a few times unaided also.

I will never forget Cocobay, it really is paradise. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you have Air conditioning!
1 Thank Amanda L
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spend 7 nights at Coco Bay from the 13th May for our honeymoon after getting married in St Lucia the previous week. The resort is absolutely beautiful with stunning views, white sandy beaches and a clear blue ocean. The 2 infinity pools were lovely, although sometimes felt very cold! There was always somewhere you could set down, either by one of the two pools or on the beach, our favorite spot was on one of the sun loungers on the beach. The resort never felt too crowded or busy, the staff were polite and efficient.

A huge thanks to Mr Gore who gave us such a warm welcome on arrival, as we arrived from St Lucia at 10am we had left before we could have breakfast and arrived at Cocobay after breakfast service. However Mr Gore was incredibly friendly and served us sandwiches, pastries, fresh fruit and drinks even though it was between services.

There was a reasonable variety of food served at breakfast and lunch (although it would have been nice to have baked beans and sausages served everyday rather then alternating the two). The omelet station was perfect and always served with a smile. The atmosphere at dinner was lovely, we really enjoyed having to dress up for the evening meals. The service was always impeccable. The food selection i would say was good, cooked and presented very well, and suited me as i love fish. However my husband did occasionally struggle to find food he liked. I think what would have improved the set menus would be to have one 'safe' option each night, ie pork, steak or chicken with chips/ potatoes for those fussy eaters.

We were very impressed with the accommodation. The cottages were rustically styled and simply but well decorated. We stayed in the beautiful sea view room (Redonda 2) which came with a lovely small living area, porch with hammock and chairs and a large bedroom with a very large, firm comfortable bed and a on-suite . The view was lovely, with view over part of the resort and the beautiful Caribbean ocean.

We only have 2 complaints about the hotel of which only one the resort can do anything about. Which are the rooms do not have an information folder with info on meal times, activities available, internet availability, spa information and prices, contact numbers etc.

Secondly as a warning to people the resort is right next to an osmosis plant which can be heard throughout the resort day and night, sounds like an electric hum which can be difficult to ignore. While at the beach the sea blocks out the noise and at dinner the general hubub blocks it out, but when sat quietly, readying, sunbathing or trying to sleep it becomes more obvious. Unfortunately it is enough to prevent us from returning to Coco Bay AND any other resorts in that area.

4 Thank alexa c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!