“Honeymoon in Paradise!”

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
“Honeymoon in Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I went to Cocobay for our honeymoon in April. This resort is beyond perfection. The staff is amazing. The premium waterfront suite was stunning, insanely clean and exactly what we were looking for. By far the nicest place we have ever been. I was worried at first about not having TV-which is sad in itself-but once you step foot on this resort, it's a complete after thought. This resort exudes romance and relaxation and the only thing you want to do is soak in the scenery and let yourself go. The front desk staff helped us plan excursions when our own plans went south and they were always attentive, happy and knew both our names by day 2. On our last night, we were sent rum drinks and fresh toasted coconut as a goodbye gift from the manager, which was such a sweet and personal touch. If you are thinking about going to Antigua, definitely stay here!

Room Tip: Premium waterfront suites are the way to go!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jessica p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

After living on 5 continents and visiting over 30+ countries worldwide I thought I saw it all until my stay at Coco Bay in Antigua.

Our trip on a GoPro:

SAFE, very little crime on the island. No petty crime (Mexico, Jamaica, pick pockets in Europe). The locals all depend on tourism and help preserve this. Felt extremely safe and never worried about my wife's safety or money/ belongings (even at night).

FOOD, the food served at Coco Bay was amazing! All three meals were top of the line. Christoph (restaurant manager) is doing everything right. Four course meal every night. This is not your typical cruise ship, greasy Sandals buffet. We were excited for every perfectly portioned meal.

CUSTOMER SERVICE, I have never seen anything like it. They catered to our every need. The very well trained, friendly staff was genuine and helped us relax and enjoy our honeymoon with zero worries. Mr. O'Neill (manager) knew us by name and made sure our 9 days on the island was nothing but pure bliss.

FACILITIES, if you are looking for an intimate, quiet, relaxing resort with just the right amount of people around you look no further. We never had to fight for a "good" spot at the pools (2) or the beach. Never waited for drinks (rum punch is life changing) or to be seated for dinner. (see above YouTube video)This is a direct reflection of the highly skilled management (Mr. O'Neill) with an extreme level of attention to detail.

THE ROOM, privacy with a plunge pool and a hammock. The foliage around each villa is just enough to feel like you are the only one on the island and still have a breathtaking view.

ACTIVITIES, as much or as little as you wish. See our You Tube video. We spent the first 5 days relaxing on the private beach with kayaks and snorkeling, in the two infinity pools, and our own plunge pool. The last 3 days we spent deep sea fishing, snorkeling, went into St. Johns, and Zip lined. Oh ya second day there my wife and I did yoga overlooking the water....Speechless.

PRICE, they could easily double the price, not change a thing and it would still be sold out. The value is like no other.

THE REAL TEST is if we would go back. The answer is most defiantly yes. WE MEET COUPLES THAT HAVE BEEN to Coco Bay 4, 10, AND 12 YEARS IN A ROW!!!! That says something about the island, staff, food, and facilities and most of all the leadership and management.

1 NEGATIVE, it kills me to say that there were a few mosquitoes. They are very aware of it and spray on a weekly basis. We got a few bites a day until we started using Off (bug spray). After that they didn't bother us.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact our highly recommended travel agent Chris Dehner at chris@modernvacations.com

Room Tip: Ocean view + plunge pool + a mini bar = Pure Bliss
11 Thank Joel P
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I also chose Cocobay Resort for our honeymoon destination. What a great time we had here! The staff was absolutely AMAZING - so helpful and friendly from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. They really helped us determine which excursions we should take and were happy to set them up for us.

Our room was absolutely stunning: updated bathroom, impeccably clean throughout, cozy hammock, breathtaking views and by far the most comfortable bed I think either of us have ever slept in. We were in an ocean view room with a plunge pool. I personally thought the plunge pool was worth the extra cost as we got a lot of use out of it enjoying a cocktail or two watching the sunset or sunrise each day. We also got a few surprises in our room, like a bottle of local rum, that truly made our experience extra special (Thank you O'Neal!).

The entire property is incredibly well kept and has such a nice low-key vibe to it that made it perfect for relaxing. What we loved about this place is that it was the best of both worlds: you get the perks of an all inclusive resort, but the feel of a small luxurious boutique hotel. They spray for mosquitos so we really didn't notice them like other reviewers stated except for one night during our entire week stay when there wasn't a breeze (we visited in May). We brought some bug repellant with us so we used that probably once or twice and were completely fine. At the beach they have kayaks and snorkeling gear for you to use, which we took advantage of. We actually saw some pretty cool fish right off the beach. There is also another beach that you can walk to that was really quiet and nice.

All of Cocobay's specialty cocktails and beverages were great, especially their famous rum punch. I also liked that they stocked our mini fridge with the local Wadadli beer. As far as food goes, I recommend going for an omelet in the morning that they will make for you and fill with practically whatever ingredients you like. We also always grabbed the paninis at the lower beach bar for lunch...those were our favorite.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better place to honeymoon and would recommend Cocobay to any couple looking for a relaxing, yet fun vacation in the sun.

4 Thank Kenzie B
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We just returned from our stay at Cocobay Resort (through LuxuryLink) for 9 nights/10 days on our Honeymoon. It was SO beautiful!!!! The staff were all very friendly, the food was awesome, the beaches are on your doorstep and the water is crystal clear and clean. We explored the entire island on our trip, and i must say, we were thrilled that we had picked Cocobay as it was the nicest property with the best views and staff. The other side of the island doesn't have such pretty water. The cocktails were delicious (especially the pina coladas and rum punch). Do yourself a favor, stay here and don't book elsewhere. I read so many reviews on LuxuryLink, TripAdvisor, etc. We stayed in one of the more basic cottages (no mini bar or plunge pool - but did have A/C and a fan) and got a killer deal through Luxury Link. This was more than we needed - the rest wouldn't have been used because there are 2 bars and 2 pools...not to mention the water is RIGHT there. You don't want to spend time in your room besides for a nap in your hammock or to shower - the property is too beautiful. The facilities were clean and well kept. My husband and I are 25 & 26, and were thrilled to be at an all inclusive hotel that was classy and not just a bunch of younger people partying and being loud. They had just the right amount of live entertainment (all very talented people) and class, and the concierge is willing to help you book anything you want to do on the island at all hours. We did it all and requested the taxi driver "Austin" to take us there - he was great and works with Cocobay often. I can't say enough great things about this place. Yes, there are mosquitos and little lizards - but there are no snakes, creepy critters, etc. and they fog the property every few days to eliminate any little bugs. You will need bug spray and lots of sunscreen. Get ready to relax and soak in the unbelievable views. You can have whatever kind of vacation you want to in Antigua - we had a few very relaxing days and a few action packed days exploring the island, swimming with stingrays, kayaking, jet skiing, etc. The resort has snorkeling gear, big beach towels, access to sea kayaks and a Hobie Cat for free so take advantage of it. Turn off your phone and enjoy life (there is internet access in the lobby if you're willing to pay 50 cents per minute but we didn't - unplug for awhile people). We had the time of our lives - thanks Cocobay!

8 Thank Savanna D
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Cocobay turned out to be more than we could have ever imagined. We were looking for a smaller, boutique hotel and we got all that and more. Overall review from our experience: this is a great, rustic boutique resort that is perfect if you want great food and privacy. Do not come here expecting the Ritz, you will be with nature (geckos, birds, etc), which I think is the whole reason you would want to come to Cocobay!

First, the rooms. If you want privacy and beautiful views, you will get them. Our bungalow was #22, perfect sea view room. Air conditioner was a life saver as the end of May was pretty muggy. Each room feels personal and is just the space you need to unwind, sleep, and enjoy a book or coffee on the hammock, which I especially recommend.

Second, the food. Despite what others have said on TripAdvisor, I thought the food was delicious. Being a pescatarian, I was pleased with the variety of meat, fish and vegetarian options. Breakfast was pretty much the same every day, but lunch and dinner were different every day. Very fresh, well seasoned, and portioned perfectly.

Third, the drinks. The bartenders are wonderful at accommodating requests. Great selection of liquors, not just your well stuff. Especially the Antiguan rum, delicious.

Fourth, the service. Overall, service was wonderful. You would every now and again run into a staff member who was less than friendly, but all were helpful. Many went over and above expectation and we were overall pleased.

Lastly, the atmosphere. Antigua is beautiful and Cocobay makes your visit even more exquisite. We wanted a relaxing, honeymoon getaway and we got exactly that. We wish we would have done some of the excursions, but I guess it is just an excuse to visit again, which we definitely will!

Room Tip: Make sure it is a sea view room and has AC.
2 Thank mrsbryarah
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Cocobay was the destination for our honeymoon and the excellent location with amazing views over crystal clear waters and golden beaches from our villa was just the most amazing setting. A small and friendly resort with staff who were so welcoming and happy to help in any way through every area of the resort. Would love to back there and hope to be soon

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Damps1982
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon at Cocobay Resort in mid April. The reviews on TripAdvisor have it nailed pretty accurately. The views are unmatched anywhere on the island. The bay that it overlooks is tranquil and has very smooth turquoise water.

We upgraded our room to the Premium Suite and I would have to highly recommend this to anyone looking to stay here. The room isn't luxurious but it is extremely comfortable and relaxing. We thought the bed was fantastic, the shower that opens up to the outside was just breathtaking and the hammock, daybed, outdoor claw foot tub and plunge pool made our room one of the most serene we've ever stayed in. We had absolutely no issues with bugs, mosquito's, spiders or anything of that sort.

The Property:
The property is absolutely beautiful with flowers everywhere. The grounds are meticulously taken care of, the lower pool sand is raked every day and the the crew is out there picking up any foliage that had dropped, making sure that it was clean and tended. The open air dining and bar areas were awesome and the views were just stunning.

The Staff:
Upon arrival we felt like we were the most important people there. They did a great job showing us around the property, the room and giving us a breakdown of what to expect on a daily basis. We did feel like the restaurant staff could use some improvements. I would say we were pleased with the service, attention and attitudes about 40% of the time, the other 60% left a LOT to be desired. There were certainly a few who were very good and as everyone on here seems to mention, Sonia (the omelet lady) was so sweet and attentive.

Improvements:
This place is SO close to being incredible, however, there were several hurdles that just kept it from being truly spectacular.

This is an all inclusive resort and when I booked my room, I was asked which liquors I would like in our mini-bar. Not one day were any of those liquors stocked. On day one, we went to reception and mentioned there was nothing in there and they graciously brought us a bottle of rum, however, it was never restocked with anything but water and sodas. Not sure why I was asked what my liquor preference was if I never received any of it.

While I do understand the simplistic approach to the guest rooms, it would be so helpful if there was some documentation in the rooms stating simple things like times for tea, policies for renting the non motorized equipment, menus, etc. I get there is a concierge and all but this info would have been nice to have in the room.

Please stock the rooms with some simple snacks. This place is definitely All-Inclusive*, the asterisks is there because it kind of is all inclusive, but it kind of isn't. If you miss a meal or get hungry at any time, your out of luck. It would have been so nice to just grab a bag of pretzels and brought them down to the beach with us or on a hike or on a day we went into town, etc. Yes I understand there is a gift shop, however, no way I am paying for snacks when I am already forking over a substantial amount of money for their top suite. We commented on this numerous times how nice it would be just to have a couple snacks included in the minibar.

Finally, yes, this place is serene and relaxing and it should come to no surprise that it is NOT a bustling resort. We knew that going in, however, by day 5 we started to get a bit stir crazy. If they just simply had cards and board games in the common room or bar it would have gone a long way to providing some sort of entertainment. Yes they have music a few nights but that typically ended at 9 or 10pm.

In summation, the resort was very good and was SO close to being perfect. We very much enjoyed our time and would at least consider going back again, however, probably not for 7 nights. The location and views are what really makes this resort stand out among the others, but if they just took a few extra steps, it could truly be the best on the island. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting couples from around the world and feel like we made some good friends in the short time we were there.

Room Tip: Pay the money and go for the Premium Suite. At the very least, get a Waterfront. It does make a di...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ryman982
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,650 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!