“The BEST of the best in Antigua!”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“The BEST of the best in Antigua!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cocobay Resort in Apring, 2014 for our 3rd anniversary. I can't tell you how amazing this resort is! We looked into St. James Resort and were so happy we chose Cocobay! Upon arrival, we were greeted with a refreshing rum punch and were brought around for a little tour of the property. It turned out that our room was double booked (we had booked a room close to the water with a plunge pool.) and we ended up in a room without the pool with a decent ocean view. The manager O'neil apologized for the confusion and said that they would change our room to the one we originally booked by the next morning. To make up for the one night, we received a complimentary bottles of vodka, champagne, and white wine in our room, along with a complimentary couples massage during our stay.
The staff at the resort are all extremely friendly, helpful, professional, and will go the extra mile if you need anything.
The food was nothing short of amazing! I looked forward to every meal! The breakfast and lunch buffets were so good and had such a variety of fresh food! Dinner was always my favorite! The soup of the night always had me wanting more! The portions were perfect! We booked through the hotel directly, so we didn't have to pay an extra $20 (or whatever the sub cost was) for specialty plates like the lobster or filet! :)
The resort itself was so clean and well kept. The gorgeous bougainvillea flowers gave everything a romantic touch. We had a candlelit surprise in our room during our stay that they randomly do for their guests during their stay. (You'll have to stay here to find out!!!!) ;)
The pools were all awesome! The beach is a short walk down the stairs. The gift shop on the property came in handy. Men must wear pants and a collared shirt for dinner so this place saved my boyfriend with some nice linen pants since he only brought one pair!
I can go on and on about this place. I travel A LOT to caribbean islands and throughout central america.. and Im a pretty picky person when it comes to resorts in all categories. Cocobay exceeded my expectations! Don't even waste your time researching other resorts!
Cant wait to go back some day soon!

Oh, and make sure you check out Shirley Heights for sunset on Sunday night! Steel drum band, awesome bbq food and amazing views!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bombchelle811

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I honeymooned at Cocobay 5 years ago and returned this year for our anniversary. Except for some substantial upgrades made to the rooms and the new pool, it was just as we remembered it: absolutely perfect.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. The linens are luxurious. The rooms are private and beautiful. The food is excellent. The views are incredible. Even the drivers who take you to town are wonderful. We have absolutely no complaints.

We hope very much to return to Cocobay in the future (they treat return guests VERY well). I highly recommend this resort to anyone thinking of vacationing in Antigua.

We booked through Jennifer Byrne at The Tropical Travelers (thetropicaltravelers.com). They take care of every detail - they even arrange a car to pick you up at the airport to take you to the resort, and one to take you back at the end of your stay. The entire process was effortless and we have every intention of using them again in the future.

Room Tip: If you can, book a room with a plunge pool. They're well worth the extra cost.
2 Thank mbdurham2014
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well I will try hard to use words to describe this amazing paradisiacal getaway!

From the second we arrived, we were treated like part of the family. The reception staff made a big deal of it being our honeymoon although virtually every couple staying there were on their honeymoon too! Big thanks to Lafita.

The rooms are spacious, clean and secluded. There was a rail for clothes, a table and a cupboard in the room. There was also an ironing board in the first room we stopped in. The bathroom is spacious and lovely. To be fair the rooms are basic but sooooooo comfortable. I've noted the make of the mattress and pillows so we can try to buy them at home hahaha. The rooms made you feel comfortable and relaxed - although we spent most of our time on the veranda. The cleaning staff are very helpful and polite - wanting to talk about the last time they visited England.

For an adult only resort I was expecting to find the occasional topless sunbather and lots of wannabes. This was not the case. Possibly due to the fact that the staff are so personable, but everyone visiting the venue seemed so relaxed, friendly and carefree.

There are two pools and a connected beach each sporting copious amounts of comfy beds/loungers. Robert will supply you with towels, snorkels, kayaks and a catamaran trip all for free. If he is not around (possibly on the short boat trip) one of the nearby bar staff will help. Davren and Sasha were amazing hosts at the pool bar. They kept you company during the brief showers, making new cocktails to suit your personality and talking about anything and everything. So much so that when the sun came back out we spent ages talking through two/three drinks even though we only meant to get one. Tip: go to the lower pool, it has sand and an infinity pool with a shaded bar area. Not many people go here preferring the top pool or beach so it stayed pretty quite.

The restaurant was amazing - particularly at night. Menus were different every night and there was always something to suit everyone. For an all inclusive restaurant I was very impressed to find caviar on one the nights!!! All of the staff are amazingly happy and attentive. Mr Gore has one hell of a team there! Well done sir! One thing - be aware that men MUST wear long trousers and collars! Women seem to be allowed to wear hot pants as long as they have a nice top on (a bit unfair and I am a woman!).

If you don't find anything you like on the menu (you get to see it each morning when you sign up for the time slot you want that evening) there is a restaurant on site. We went there one night and found the food to be of good quality with quit large portions. We are not massive eaters but we had starter, soup, main and dessert. Only after the liquor coffees and then liquors did we start to feel ill. The chef (from Surrey) came to see us at the table which was nice as we'd noticed that he didn't go to other tables that night. Kind of made us feel special.

During our stay we did the rainforest zip wires and the cruise with lobster and champagne lunch. Both were very commendable.

At the end of the holiday some of the staff including the all-inclusive restaurant owner came to reception to give us a big hug while we waited for our airport taxi.

We got to see other hotels on our cruise and talked to people on trips about the other hotels and we seem to have hit the jackpot. We were truly made to feel like one of the family!!! We've even set up a bank account so that we ca go back to exactly the same resort for our 5 year anniversary and it is VERY rare for us to say we'll go back to exactly the same resort!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a plunge pool as it comes with air conditioning as standard. We didn...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Squeakytiger
Virginia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We honeymooned at this place in early July and we were very happy with our pick! The rooms, although basic, offer beautiful views and personally, getting a room with a private plunge pool is a must!

Things started a little bumpy for us upon arrival at the resort, and this is part of the reason I did not give them 5 stars. We booked the resort 11 months before our honeymoon and booked the newer premium water front suite. I checked in with Cocobay about 7 days before arrival to make sure everything was still set for us. I was assured it was. After spending months on TA looking up reviews, I figured out that the premium waterfront suites have names and not room numbers, so when I was handed a key with a number, I asked about the room. Turns out, they did NOT have a premium waterfront suite available for any of our stay. The manage O'neal came out and offered his condolences and even offered a free dinner on the beach (too bad someone bought it for us as a wedding gift). After a long day of traveling, I admitted defeat and went off to our room. Even though the room still had the beautiful views and the pool, it was still a disappointing start. During check out it wasn't until I brought up the fact we paid for a higher room that I was reimbursed, I don't think they were going to fix it without me bringing it up.

Anyways, like I said room was basic, but the outside more then made up for it. We booked directly with the hotel and got a mini bar that was stocked daily, we always asked for some more water. Yes, at night there were loud tree frogs, yes if it rains it sounds like a downpour, but you are on a tropical island! We did have a tarantula that lived outside of our room, after the second night that it appeared and moved closer to the door, we asked that it be relocated, we didn't see if again. The AC wasn't stellar, but we adapted to it and kept the bathroom door shut to keep the room cool.

I agree with another review about bringing a small mirror, would have been a great idea seeing as there is only one in the bathroom and it does get hot!

Food was pretty great. Another reason I knocked a star off was because there wasn't a lot of options to eat. If you missed breakfast there was no food option on the resort until 12:30. We missed breakfast every day and were starving by lunch. Dinner was amazing for an all inclusive. Another bonus for booking with the hotel is that you get the upgraded dinner (We think, or it was because they messed up our room, but other guests had were able to to the same thing).

Very relaxed place, not a lot of night life, but was perfect for our honeymoon. We only stayed a few nights, which was perfect, any longer and I think we might have been looking to do a bit more. I would 100% visit again!

Room 10 offers a great private view and pool!

4 Thank Marie C
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Cocobay Resort in April of this year for our honeymoon and we cannot wait to go back. For anyone looking for the perfect place to go on their own honeymoon or even a relaxing getaway, we could not recommend Cocobay enough. I have stayed at some very good resorts for work and for pleasure and quite frankly, none can hold a candle to Cocobay's level of personalized service and quality of stay. I have nothing bad to say about the resort at all, and this coming from a very picky person is quite a statement.

Stop looking now and book your stay!

From the moment we arrived and received our complimentary cool towel and rum punch, we felt right at home. We booked a week in the Warri cottage - one of the newer ocean view villas and we were immediately impressed by our accommodations - from the generous living space, to the comfortable bed, to the plunge pool, hammock and outside tub. Then there was the view. It is hard to put into words just how amazing the view is right from the bed out through the sliding door and over the bay. It was amazing to watch the water turn from a storybook turquois to blue as the day progressed and listen to the breeze pass through the palm trees. The best part with the ocean view cottages is that the view is all yours. There couldn't have been a better setting for us to celebrate.

The resort’s small size was perfect. There are two main areas both with pools and bars. The first is an upper pool and bar next to the restaurant. The second is a lower pool closer to the beach (which was never crowded) that also features an infinity pool and a smaller bar. Since there are only around 100 couples there at any time, you get to make friends with other guests who are mainly other Americans, Brits, or Continental Europeans. We met a number of people who we are still in contact with now five months after our stay. A few people we met were at the resort for their fifth or sixth time and the whole place has a nice feeling to it. Since you see the same people so often for drinks or meals, you get a sense of community that is absent in more sterile environments found in the honeymoon factories like Sandals and the like.

The restaurant was wonderful. They serve breakfast (buffet style), lunch, and dinner. Yes some people complain about having to pay for an upgraded meal if they want the lobster. So what? It’s worth it. Also – pro-tip: if you book your honeymoon through the resort, everything, including the lobster is included. So is the wifi, but I would discourage anyone from staying connected in a place where you can relax so easily. The alcohol is also included and the bottles provided in the rooms are top shelf. The espresso machine was also a nice touch.

The staff makes the resort. Management, if you are reading this, please understand that you have amazing people working for you – especially Oriel, one of the best bartenders I have ever met. How many places can you say you’ve stayed where the staff knows you by name?

It is hard to put everything down in a review but if I was forced to score Cocobay from 1 to 10, it would get a 20. We can’t wait to come back to our new home away from home in Antigua.

Pro-tips:

Book an ocean view cottage – Warri, if you can. You won’t be disappointed.
Get to know the people working at the resort. Having real conversations with them will enhance your stay.
Be adventurous. Try the local dishes served at lunch and dinner.
Drink lots of rum punch!

Room Tip: Choose one of the newly renovated ocean view cottages. The views are spectacular and close to the ho...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Urbietravels
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stop thinking about it & book it already! Cocobay is such a beautiful & relaxing resort! DON'T even bother w/ Sandals or those other nearby resorts, we saw them and they had NOTHING on Cocobay! The staff is great especially Denise! She went above & beyond! Food was excellent. I will say it would be nice to try more traditional Antiguan Cuisine, they offered normal American stuff.. If I can offer one thing, do the Wadadli Cats Catamaran! It was by far the best day we had there! Toured around the whole island, on the Catamaran, we docked on a little island went snorkeling, ate lunch & had drinks there, then sailed back to the resort, they played fun music, an all around great time! So stop thinking about it and book Cocobay, she will love it

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave V
Windsor
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My fiance/husband and I stayed here for our weddingmoon and could not have been more impressed. We travel a lot and have stayed many nice places but this is the first place that I have wanted to return to immidiately.
We booked a deluxe pool room directly through the resort website. With this we received free airport transport, food increases, a stocked mini bar and guaranteed best room in the booked category.
Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the fantastic Melissa, given cold drinks and towels and explained the lay of the land. We were then led to the most amazing room I have ever stayed in and welcomed with champagne and wine. The room is clean and simple. The AC worked well. The bed is incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was well equipped with a door that opens with a view of the ocean. The pool was the perfect temperature with a view that will never be matched. We spent very little of our time at the bar and beach and no times in the other pool as we could never tear ourselves away from our private oasis.

Food, for the most part, was supurb. The dinners were creative and delicious. I often ordered multiple appetisers because I couldn't make up my mind. Sonia and her ability to remember your name and your order at breakfast was great. I found that there was little variety at breakfast and got way too excited the 1 day they had hashbrowns. Please, more potatoes :) Lunch was good and if you couldn't find something you wanted there was always an option of the poolside grilled sandwhiches or Sheer Rocks. We splurged on the beachside dinner and were not disappointed. They had menus printed up for us and the food was stunning. During our dinner it "rained" (more like one of those misters found in amusement park lines) and our server brought us warm towels while we enjoyed our dessert.

Wear bug spray if you have a tendency to be bit. My husband was fine but I spent my wedding morning trying to hide the dozen bites I had got on my neck (where I had neglected to put the bug spray)

We did not book our wedding through the hotel but were still treated like royalty. I cannot express how much it meant to me to be greeted by my married name the day of my wedding and the constant interest in my big day the girls at the front desk showed every time they saw me. I think that Patria and Melissa may have been more excited by the arrival of my wedding pictures than I was! When you can call the front desk with a wardrobe issue and they rush to help you, you feel at home.

The day we left, I actually cried. The resort is amazing because of the food and rooms and views. It is home because of the staff.

I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Rooms 9, 10, 11 and 12 are unobstructed views without the top level price.
5 Thank K2511
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!