“Cocobay: An objective view”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed 8 November 2004

Well, having spent some months reading the various reviews of others, its now my turn - just got back from Cocobay.

My wife and I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean over many years and in all honesty we are not that easy to please!. Bearing in mind previous reviews it was with some apprehension that we flew out to Cocobay.

In a nutshell, this place is FANTASTIC.Here is a few of the many plus points:-

- Superb and very friendly service
- Beautiful setting
- Stunning views
- Good food (see below)
- Very quiet and peaceful

The bedrooms are basic but clean and more than adequate, all with lovely views.

Let me dispel some myths about the food:

- Its not that spicy - my wife is not keen on spicy food but she loved this
- Yes, portions at dinner are small (bit nouvelle cuisine) but there is a buffet two nights a week plus breakfast and lunch are always buffet style.Frankly, you can eat as much as you want at breakfast and lunch and it is simply greedy to demand to be able to stuff yourself in the evening as well.This is quality cuisine and big portions are not necessary. Take it from me, Im a big eater but had no problem here.

The only real downside is the bugs. I would concur with much of what has already been said.They are a problem and I got bitten more than anywhere else I have ever stayed in the Caribbean but set against everything else they are only a minor irritation.Bringing clothes pegs to close the gaps in the mosquito net is a great idea and we did.

For the divers among you, I went out with Jolly Dive.Had a great time - you can book direct or through the hotels excursion desk.

In summary, if you are thinking of going to Cocobay then dont hesitate - we`re going back next year for sure.

13  Thank NAPW

Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 4 November 2004

I went to Cocobay for R&R or as the British would say “Holiday”. When preparing to leave for Antigua, I was quite surprised to read the comments of many of the previous visitors. After reading the reviews I wondered, “how can one place so beautiful seem to have so many problems” I had to go and investigate. I have found the reasons & explanations. If you read through this you will not have some the pitfalls as other did.

I will explain in sections:

History: Some may know that Virgin Airlines has Cocobay as one of their destination resorts. If you are flying virgin they will handle all your boarding passes and ticket arrangements at the resort. Workers at the resort say that Cocobay is also owned by one of the shareholders of Virgin airlines. Virgin is a major airline to the eastern Caribbean, and a majority of Europeans go to these Islands for “Holiday”.

The Staff is there to truly cater to you. If it’s included in your package deal, then it’s yours to use. I made many to new friends there.Qulaity 5 star service. If you have a birthday, anniversary, or any special occasion, let them know. They will go out of their way to make your day one to remember.

The rooms are incredible, but everyone view can be different. There are 4 different styles of houses. Seafronts- by the ocean, Sea view- rooms slightly above the seafronts ,but still a beautiful view, Plantation- for families or a group, and the Standards-they face the ponds in the back.. The standards are not my first choice of rooms, but they work. The ponds have stagnant water so the smell can sometimes be awful. The ponds are not close to the rooms, so do not worry.

Entertainment: They had entertainment 3 out of 7 days.
The guitarist, Slinger, plays Monday and Thursday nights. Sunday night, they have a steel band play. Slinger can sing almost any song you like, and he is a lot of fun. He truly enjoys what he does. He provides just enough entertainment for a R&R vacation.
The Steel Band is makes you want to get out and have a conga line. You are on vacation so get out there and do it.

The exercise equipment is a museum to the beginning of the workout. It’s broken, but have no worries, if Kayaking to Jolly harbor does not give you a workout, then try jogging it and back. You will definitely be ready for lunch. There is also horseback riding, tours, and helicopter tours at an additional cost.

If it is rain, it’s only for a short period of time. I truly enjoyed the rainstorms as they passed over. It was a very tranquil experience. (June-Nov) is hurricane season.

The Bar closes at midnight, but if you go into town there is something going on. Cabs are usually $20 (US) money for roundtrip. The ride is about 25-30mins. Jolly Harbor has music till 2a.m during the week, later on the weekends. It’s a $10-15 cab ride -$5-10 by locals or free if you can catch a ride from somebody leaving the resort. Always tip them something (at least $5) just because gas is not cheap.

Locals are friendly. Being a friendly American, many of the locals told me the spots to go and hang out. They also gave me the antigan price and not the tourist price. It pays to be nice. The Lions den is where the locals go to hang-out, especially during carnival. It is a great place to hang-out. Beware of the restrooms, they’re scary. If you have to go, do as the locals do…go outside. That includes the ladies too.

Note to the men: If you have a beautiful woman with you, leave the jealousy at home. Antigan men enjoy beautiful women and love to flirt. If they pay her a compliment, let her say thank you and be on your way.

If you like fine gourmet cuisine, this is the place for you. I read more complains about the food being spicy or too seasoned, but what do you expect…this is ANTIGUA. I guess the British enjoy their food being bland. Not here. Meat just falls off the bone for being so juicy. The design and presentation of the food is wonderful. It is truly all-inclusive.

BRING REPELLENT WITH DEET. The lighter your complexion, the more you will get bit. I saw more people with bite marks looking like connect the dots. Even at night make sure your Net does not have holes in it. I tuck the end of it under the mattress, around the edge of the bed then tuck the rest under your pillow when you climb in.

Overall, I will probably go back to Cocobay simply because you get more thewn what you pay for. I probably should have spent more time there, but hey… somebodys got to work to pay for the trip. This was a trip to remember.

• Stayed: July 2004
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 October 2004

My hubby and I decided to splash out and celebrate the completion of my midwifery course at the end of sept/begin oct and there couldnt have been a better choice!

The views are amazing, the rooms were simple, but comfortable - we took an electric mozzi repeller and it seemed to work, although not on the frog we found in the bathroom - which was quite cute.

The atmosphere was great, the staff friendly - some more than others, but all the same added to the ambience. There are many characters like Acaire - ever cheerfull and willing to help, Peter - who even writes slowly, Charmaine who was lovely, Jenny Lee - always smiling and Tracey and Chris the managers who were friendly and helpfull.

Eating in the restaurant was fab - even in the rain (which there was quite a bit of during our stay). The menu will usually have something you fancy on it- if not just give it a try anyway and you might be pleasantly surprised.

The only problem is the hotel has nothing for you to do when it rains - our room superior cottage 4 didnt have indoor chairs.
We met some great guys here and all clubbed together and bought nibbles at the nearby supermarket and played dominoes to while the day away in the bar. There is also a small library where previous guests have left books which is a nice idea - all of ours went into it.

Also the problem when it rained was that no one took in the sun lounger covers and therefore when the sun reappeared they were soaked and uncomfy to lie on, we tried everything to keep them from getting too wet - very unsucessfully.

On a Tues night they had a guy with a steel drum + backing music which was nice, but the Thursday night calypso singer was really funny - we asked him to sing a few funny songs and he went round the group sining about the guys + their bamboo!

All in all if you are looking for complete relaxation where the most energetic thing you have to do is walk up the hill, this place is for you. If you find the hill a chore - try doing what we did and conga up it! If you want night life, Jolly Harbour is not too far away to walk for a Saturday night in the Steely Bar where we deafened the locals with Karaoke.

The place is magical - just bring your mozzi repellant and you will be grand! Fi & Malc

3  Thank Malcolm H
Reviewed 23 October 2004

My husband and I honeymooned here in July 2002. It was the perfect choice. The cottages are lovely (you must get a seaview), and the views are magnificent! This is NOT the resort for you if you want an exciting nightlife. You won't find casinos or dance clubs, but you will find quiet, cozy bars, island music and plenty of privacy. It truly is a bit of heaven on earth. Enjoy.

3  Thank zurichfans
NY, NY
Reviewed 18 October 2004

The views are absolutley amazing, no argument there. The food was great too. I can normally do without Air Conditioning while its in the 90's, however the fact that there are no screens on any of the doors and windows (which you have to keep open because its SO hot!), every bug imaginable gets into the room. Even though there is mosquito netting on the beds, they get thru anyway, as do spiders. I got bit by a spider on my hand one night and my hand was so swollen for 2 days I couldnt even remove my rings. Our room had everything from spiders, to lizards, to crickets throughout it. Some people may not mind that, and if you are one of those, you'd love it. But being a girly girl - that is not something that I can easily deal with. Minus the bugs - it was a beautiful place.

• Stayed: September 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Belgium
Reviewed 23 September 2004

I went there with my fiancé a few months ago and we both fell under the charm of this beautiful and peaceful resort.

If you are into modern, concrete, mass oriented hotels with air-conditioning and satellite tv, then this is not the right hotel for you. On the other hand if you are a nature-lover and don't mind a few mosquitoes then do try out cocobays.

We loved the style and construction of the bungalows and the stunning view from our balcony (seaview room is a must!).

We also enjoyed the great food and flow of free cocktails (especially the banana daiquiri).

Only warning: do not to leave food lying around in the room at night unless you want to bump into a mouse (happened to me!).

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
motherwell, scotland
Reviewed 5 September 2004

we went to cocobay in june to get married, couldn't have picked anything better. loved everthing about the place, our wedding was organised down to the last detail, all we had to decide was the colour of our flowers and the colour of the icing on the cake. i would recommend anyone getting married to do it here, the service was 101%
we met some really lovely people here, who we will keep in contact with for a very long time.
the food was outstanding couldn't fault it one bit.
as for the beaches well paradise is definately the word.
the only drawback was the mosies, i tried everything but was still ate alive, but not everyone was.
the room could do with some air conditioning, but it wouldn't stop me from going back.
if your looking for some chill out time then this is the place for you.
loved everything about the place even the things that just weren't right.
couldn't meet friendlier staff, all of them were fantastic, if your looking for somewhere special for your wedding/honeymoon then look no further.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!