I returned on June 8th, 2014. I'm the type of traveller that has stayed in several resorts over the years, usually a five star. Antigua is a beautiful island, however if you're planning a trip to Antigua keep in mind the following. The cost of going to Antigua is usually a lot more costly than other locations, if I had of known prior facts I would NOT of went.
THE BEACH: rates as a five, no problems there!
THE HOTEL & ROOMS: it's old and outdated, the rooms are VERY small in the standard selection, some minor stains on the bedding and towels. However, the housekeeping services came late in the day usually 3pm or 4pm which was an inconvenience and the room floor wasn't cleaned for the entire stay, I called front desk because the floor had lots of sand that needed to be cleaned up, however NO housekeeper showed up. There was NO coffee maker, NO mini fridge, NO hairdryer and NO water provided in the standard room.
THE FOOD: the selection wasn't that great, usually it was the same boring buffet food day after day. There is NO A/C in the buffet area, only in your room, if you needed a break from the heat you had to take your food back to your room.
THE STAFF: were very friendly and ready to answer any questions.
TOUR EXCURSIONS: boat rides and other services were very highly priced compared to other vacations I've taken, if the cost was lowered it may encourage guests to participate. The hotel wanted $170.00 USD to drive into St. John's which is 20 minutes away for shopping, even the Air Canada rep stated the price was outrageous.
PLEASE PLEASE NOTE: Jolly Beach is a public beach, during my stay there were at least 6 to 7 local people approaching me to purchase their products daily, 95% of the local people were fine with a no answer. However, on two occasions I had to ask security on the beach for assistance, one man was very rude and yelling because he said his products were not good enough for me, because I wouldn't purchase anything WOW!! The other man asked me for money a few days in a row, he started to cry stating "I have nothing, can you give me money" this situation became out of control and very upsetting.
Jolly Beach didn't play Caribbean music while having dinner nightly, or at any time for that matter, not even at the pool area, only the 70' s and 80' s music was played, I found this strange considering all other vacations in the Caribbean played their music which adds to the vacation experience.
There is NO disco like other resorts and most nights there was NO entertainment which made the vacation boring.
PLEASE NOTE: you have to purchase your own bottled water, $3.00 USD for a litre, the water coming out of the taps are discoloured a tint of yellow.
Overall, I believe this resort rated as a 3 star is sufficient, for the money I paid I could of went elsewhere and enjoyed a real vacation at a 5 star. Please consider all the above facts before staying at Jolly Beach Resort, for the money paid I don't believe it's worth it considering the facts I've provided are 100% valid and very true. I took the time to write this review to assist people in making a wise travelling decision. I've always wanted to vacation in Antigua, however this particular vacation was indeed a disappointment.
Female aged 43
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set among 40 acres of tropical paradise, Starfish Jolly Beach Resort is Antigua’s largest all-inclusive resort, featuring 464 rooms with private balconies or terraces surrounded by the stunning white sand and turquoise waters of Jolly Harbour, and lush tropical gardens. Enjoy the warm sun and the Caribbean Sea breeze, sail along the stunning waters, or explore the nearby golf courses and marina for an unforgettable stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Starfish Jolly Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jolly Beach Resort And Spa
- Jolly Beach Hotel Bolans
- Jolly Beach Resort Antigua
- Jolly Beach Resort All Inclusive
- Jolly Beach Antigua
- Starfish Jolly Beach Resort Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda