“Fantastic beach, great food and drinks, lovely staff... Buildings need work..”

Starfish Jolly Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Jolly Beach is the only resort that we have ever returned to. We Love the beach, and we Love Antigua. The last time we visited in 2013, the resort itself was looking tired.. It is obvious that nothing has been done to improve the situation. The entertainment is tired as well. The staff are so warm and lovely.. Especially Tiesha, Travis and Dion. There was another lovely food server- a little older and wiser- she is tall, glasses, and short hair . I wish I knew her name. If you are looking for a bargain priced vacation with a great beach- this is the place for you!

Room Tip: The standard room is very small...
6  Thank sunlover070
Write a ReviewReviews (4,492)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed in standard room first 2 weeks in August. As other reviewers have stated, the hotel is somewhat tired and a lot of concrete "furniture" in rooms. But we took on board what others had reported and kinda knew what to expect.
The rooms/bedding/public toilets and outdoor areas were very clean, no problems with that.
The food was really good with plenty of choice in Hemispheres. Always a meat, fish, chicken, vegetarian and pasta dish available. Only did Lydias and Italian for al-a-carte. Both very good.
Whilst in Hemispheres found service to be a bit inconsistent, especially breakfast time when a large conference group arrived. But we got our own coffee/juice from self serve machines- no problems.
Staff were lovely. Very respectful, helpful and really friendly.
Beach was gorgeous, any passing vendors were also respectful, which we appreciated. They were more than happy to chat a while, even if you had said no to their wares.
It was our 1st visit to Antigua and we loved it. We got the local bus to St. Johns, cheaper than taxi and safe and friendly. Locals were always helpful and polite. will return in a heartbeat.
We did a few trips, island safari inc kayaking- brill. Catamaran with Wadidli- v-good, Shirley heights- thoroughly enjoyed. We also hired a local to tour the island- v good.
With a few improvements, in rooms, better bar stools around bar, comfy sun-loungers this place could easily up it's star rating. But go with an open mind and have a ball. We did.

8  Thank nasaYorkshire
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just arrived back from JBR and wow what a culture shock .It was like turning up to a HI DE HI holiday camp only thing missing was Ruth Madoc on the loud speaker in the morning .
It is such a shame that they are letting this place run down,as for previous reviewers saying how great it is i can't see that.drinks from plastic cups,tea or coffee from plastic beakers and as for the school canteen i.e. the main restaurant with the birds leaving there marks on the chairs as you sit and try to eat your meal .
SO we start on the rooms ,i was in 2224 and the toilet seat hadn't been cleaned for some while ,had ants all over the floor ,the AC was warmer than outside and the doors fell off the wardrobe ,this was after just arriving .
The room had a tv but you hit your head on it if you wanted to open the door to the balcony,so i went to reception and they want $90 per night up grade , i was at that time tied and decided to deal with it tomorrow
I went to the reception the following day and to be fair they change us to a super room which was very nice and i must thank them for that.
There is a lack of drive from the top as the place could be and should be the best hotel on the island ,with an amazing beach and staff that work so hard with limited funds its such a shame.
The outside pool areas and gardens need updating with the floor around the pool uneven and dangerous ,but again it shouldn't it is the main focal point and sitting there next to the white sand should blow you away its doesn't
The whole place needs a good lick of paint around the pool area and the gardens are average
I hoped never to write something like this but i hope this goes some way for the owners of JBR to understand that if improvements were made to the place you have the BEST HOTEL ON THE ISLAND its location blows the others out of the water.

Room Tip: don't get anything but a superior room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Mg61dal
JollyManager, General Manager at Starfish Jolly Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and also your constructive feedback with us. While it’s clear there were many things you felt could be improved, I am very happy to hear that you loved our location and that you found our staff very helpful in assisting you with your room change.

At Jolly Beach Resort, we like to provide a comfortable place where everyone (families, couples, single travelers, and groups) can find the perfect room at the right price.

Yes, we are a 3 star resort. Our main focus is to offer our guests a great time at the beach, providing extra value through a wide range of amenities and excellent customer service - all at an affordable price.

Of course there’s always room for improvement. We are making continuous updates to our expansive 40 acre property, which, as I’m sure you can imagine, does take time. While it’s obvious JBR wasn’t the right fit for your preferred style of travel, we do wish you the best in your future travels.

Thanks,

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is right on the beach which is why we picked it. I had read mixed reviews but we risked it. The check in was ok - we had to wait a couple of hours. The room was superior but quite small and dingy. It needs some refurbishment and updating. We went to the beach which was ok - not too busy. Food that evening was awful. We went to bed and had an awful nights sleep due to noise. When we went to eat, there were birds flying all over the place - eating people's food who had momentarily left their tables - bird poo around the food and one bird eating from a server that we were supposed to get our food from - that was enough for me. I couldn't stay 2 weeks there. I travel extensively and regularly. I have been to the Caribbean many times over 20 years but we checked out then and there. You get what you pay for in the Caribbean. We went to a fab hotel after leaving here and had an amazing holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank regulartraveller01

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay at Jolly Beach. As you pointed out, our stunning beach definitely draws many visitors, so I hope during your short stay with us you were able to enjoy this much-loved feature of the resort.

I do apologize for your discomfort with the birds, as we want all of our guests to feel comfortable while staying with us. We do take several measures to prevent the presence of birds, but must also work within the confines of local Antigua law, which protects avian wildlife.

Did you let any of our staff know of your issues with the food or noise you experienced? As I mentioned, the comfort of our guests is very important to us and we have a program specifically in place to empower staff to deal with any issues that come up. We would have been more than happy to try and address your concerns if they were brought to our attention.

I'm glad that you were able to find alternative accommodations and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Antigua. I’m only sorry that it wasn’t with us.

Take care,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and twin 13year olds just got back from JBR and we had a blast. As always I was a bit nervous due to the mixed reviews. I don't think of myself as overly picky but you never know.
We got an exellent deal just over a week before we left from Air Canada Vacations and paid just over $700/ppCanadian (+tax) , when I checked the price 2 days later it was back at $1700. If we had paid full price I would have been very disappointed in the quality of the hotel, but since we didn't, I overlooked the lack of maintainance.
Check in went smoothly, I was the first out of the taxi so we didn't have to wait. The staff were fine but I must agree that they were the least friendly that we encountered all week. We had to book two rooms because our kids qualify as adults but we were able to get connecting rooms. They definately weren't the renovated ones but I was happy just to be able to have direct access into the kids rooms. This was our first holiday that we've had to get 2 rooms and I must admit it was nice to have the second bathroom, and the kds not fighting over sharing a bed. All the rooms in the hotel are small, the supersaver room is ridiculous. We heard another guest say that they couldn't even walk around their bed, they complained and after a few days they were upgraded to a standard room since the hotel was pretty empty. Our room looked as if it hadn't been changed in 35years (very reminiscent of a 70's Fort Lauderdale motel), except for maybe the tv that was from the 90's. The room is entirely white stucco, even is the closet and bathroom. The closet is a decent size with many hangers and four large shelves. There is a safety deposit box that you need to rent the lock upon arrival, it will cost $15US for the week. I haven't used keys at a hotel in over a decade, but at JBR you get them for the room and the safe (nothing electronic here) The beds we fine, very low and quite firm but we all slept fine. The linens were very old. If you are bothered by ugly covers get the superior renovated room. The door had frosted glass slats that you can open for a cross breeze, and the bathroom had openings to the hallway for ventilation (both are gone in the renovated rooms), this meant sounds came straight in from outside, but our room was on the 3rd floor and there were few people passing by. (It was only an issue the night of the thunderstorm when it sounded like the room was going to blow up). The bathroom vanity is very small and there is only a corner shower. We always had issues with maintaining the hot water, but it didn't bother us. Our towels and supplies were always restocked without fail, and our room was always cleaned by the afternoon. There are no longer elevators which was fine for us on the 3rd floor, but I don't know if I would have felt the same way if I was up on the 4th. Our air conditioner stopped working one night and maintainance was there within 10 mintues and had it fixed right away. We didn't get wifi in the room, but they have free wifi in the lobby and courtyard area, you would always see people sitting around on their phones and ipads at any time of the day.
The first thing you should do after unpacking is to head to the conceirge desk and book your restaurant reservations. We were able to get one night at each of the three. Surprisingly I think my family enjoyed the Indian the most (having never been to one before I was a bit nervous), my DH loves spicy foods so he had the pork vidalu, the rest of us had beef with onions and the lamb. The samosa's were'nt great but the other appetizers were, my son had seconds of the beef skewers. The Italian was our second favourite. (This is the only air conditioned restaurant at the hotel, but with the island breezes you could always sit outside and be comfortable.) You start with self-serve antipasto bar, then the appetizers (primeri) then main (secondi). My son ordered the pizza as a appetizer and it could have been his whole meal (they wrapped up half of it and he ate it as a midnight snack). The prawn liguine was really good. Most of us ordered the osso bucco, it was good, but could have been a little more tender (but when you look at caribbean cattle what do you expect, it's not good old Alberta beef). The last ala carte was Lydia's seafood, and it's way down the beach. The appetizers were very good, we especially liked the wontons. There was chicken for the non-fish eaters, and the catch of the day was very good. The service at all 3 restaurants was always good. On Thursday night they close the main restaurant (buffet-Hemispheres) and have a beach bbq. My family had mixed reviews on this one. There was a very large line to be seated and to get your food. We sat on the beach (remember your bug spray). People mentioned that the ala carte restaurants weren't full but they couldn't get reservations, I think this is more that they didn't have the staff to have the restaurants fully booked, since in high season they employ many temporary staff.
The food at the buffet was always good, not fancy by any means, but tasty. The breakfast was the same everyday, with made to order eggs (my omletes were awesome every day), fried potatoes, baked beans, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and either pancakes or french toast. There was a small selection of pastries and fruit, and different breads for toasting. They had peanut butter and 2 types of jam out (they had strawberry in the kitchen and my son asked for it everyday). At lunch it was some type of meats at the carvery area, plus pasta (the tomato sauce was great), french fries, sandwiches and desserts. They always have ice cream at any of the restaurants, you just have to ask for it. Dinner was similar with a few other choices, there was always a choice of meats and a fish option and different vegetables. We met some other guests that had Celiac and cannot eat gluten. They spoke to the staff and there was always something they could eat, and they didn't have an issue while we were there. Overall the food was good, not fancy, and we never went hungry. I almost forgot, there is afternoon tea in the area just off the courtyard beside the Indian restaurant. It was from 4:30-6:00, and there were a few sandwiches and a small dessert. There was also the snack bar by the main pool from 12-5. They served grilled sandwiches, burgers, fried and jerk chicken. We ate there twice but preferred the buffet. My son would have a grilled cheese everyday after pool volleyball. The one thing you have to watch for are the birds. We found this quite funny. There are small blackbirds in the buffet at breakfast and lunch that are pretty harmless, but the seagulls at the snackbar are ruthless. The first day one bumped my daughter's arm so her french fries fell on the ground, but my husband actually had one swoop down and steal a piece of jerk chicken right off his plate! We killed ourselves laughing, but he was upset because the jerk was better than he had had in Jamaica on our last vacation.
There are two bars open during the summer, the pool bar and the main bar. Both open at 10:30, but the pool bar closes at 5. The service was very good, the bartenders are super friendly and will make any drink you order (or invent). They don't use slushy machines (three cheers to that), so the pina coladas and daiquiris we the best I've had in a long time at an all-inclusive. All the drinks are included expect If you ask for a drink from a bottle (water/beer/wine). We took along our bubba kegs (large insulated cups) and the staff were happy to fill and clean them for us.
The pools were great. The large pools is the activty pool, and we took part in them everyday. I did the aqua aerobics and the familty played pool volleyball. Annemaria was the activity coordinator and she was great, just dont' get her hair wet:) We also did other activities nearby like shell art, beer drinking contest, bocce ball, soccer, and cricket. There was also beach volleyball most nights down the beach at 5pm. My husband said it was EPIC, the most competative he's played in years, (to the young Italians Grazie), but his legs were covered in sand flea bites (again bring bug spray). The quiet pool was much deeper and cooler in the late day. The kids enjoyed both. There were only a few umbrellas at the main pool, so wake up early if you want one, even in the slow season they were hard to come by. The washrooms are far from the main pool, back at the lobby area. There are another set by the nurses station, but they are locked (I think outsiders were using them) and you have to get the key from the water activity desk. The swim up bar wasn't really open, (I think to stop people from NOT making the trek to the washroom) but I prefer a clean pool so it was fine with us. The only thing I didn't understand was that they close both pools at 6pm. I can see in the winter if it's getting dark, since there were no lights, but in the summer it's bright and hot at 6.
The beach is gorgeous. Every morning I was in awe of the stunning colours of the water and white sand. There are a lot of shells, especially when you first get into the water, there is also a 1 1/2 foot drop, but it does go back up and then is a gradual slope. The water is amazing, the gentle waves, the temperature, it was perfect. I was told some beaches down the road were even clearer, but didn't bother trying them. We didn't do any snorkeling since it was so sandy there weren't many fish around. My family were taken out on a hobie cat one day and they sailed from one end of the beach to the other, it was a fantastic view of the surrounding area. They had sailing lessons, and you could try the kayaks, windsurfers and peddleboats. A few standup paddle boards would have been fun. All beaches in Antigua are public, so there are people selling things, but they never hassle you if you say you aren't interested. (on the last day my husband was asked if he wanted weed, coke or a woman--luckily for him he said no to all 3) .
The evenings were quiet. We only saw the fire-eater/limbo show, other nights we played some pool or pingpong with the kids, or watched a movie in our rooms. There isn't a lot for the kids at night, but we were always exhausted from a full day that it didn't matter. There was a small casino, but only the slot machines seemed to be operating, I didn't see any dealers for cards, but this could just be the case in the low season. There's a large casino at the marina.
There is a spa which we didn't use. The kids club looked deserted. The gift shop had a lot of items, but we went shopping at the marina which was only a five minute walk down the road. The prices for alcohol was much cheaper at the Epicurean grocery story than at the airport duty free, just remember to pack it in your suitcase because liquids aren't allowed in your carry-on.
We rented a car through our tour rep with Go Caribbean. It was $50US for a small 4door Nissan, with air conditioning and GPS (you need this, there aren't good maps of the island). It was another $10 for tax and insurance, and $20 cash for an Antiguan driver's permit. Driving around the island allowed to see all the important attractions in our own time. For $8/pp you get admission to Nelson's dockyard, the Block House and Shirley Heights, as well as the interpretive centre where they have an indoor air conditioned show/movie. Well worth the money. The roads are narrow, and the ditches are deep, but the traffic isn't heavy except around St John's. In town wer parked in a small lot by the casino that was $2EC/hour, the car looked safer there (from being hit). We also went to the Devil's bridge, this would have been a good place to have a 4x4 because the dirt road was very rough with giant pot holes.
We really enjoyed our time at JBR. We were all relaxed and the other guests were super friendly, since there weren't many people you got to know others easily. Most of the guests were from the UK and those lucky people were staying for 2-3weeks. One man we met was disabled and picked this hotel because of its accessability. Granted the ramps were very steep in places, and they didn't have any lifts for the pools. There also was no wheelchair access to the sea, but they were renting a special chair from virgin airlines.
We had such a good time I would love to give JBR a 5 circle rating (5* star fun, 2.5* hotel), but with the lack of maintainance I just couldn't. It wouldn't take much to paint and change the bedding. In Mexico you see people painting something everyday, and the grounds are meticulous. Here we saw no work being done on the hotel, except one day when they mowed the lawns and sprayed the weeds. I would think in low season this would be when the majority of the work would be done. This being said we overlooked the minor cosmetic issues and had a great time. We would love to go back if we can get a great deal again, but not at full price, I think we could find better for $8000.
ps The Antigua airport is tiny. They are building a new terminal that should be open late next winter. Buy food and drinks before going inside it's cheaper, but you need to finish the drinks before security. There are only a few shops and they are pricey. There's only a small snack bar with pizza, sandwiches, patties, roti and desserts. There is free wifi in the waiting area, but it's very crowded. The is an upper seating area and a vip lounge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Lee-Ann J
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Have recently returned from the JBR. Me and hubby stayed 2nd - 16th August, and we both had a lovely relaxing holiday. When we arrived at our Superior room the first thing we did was to check it out to make sure that it was all that the brochure had advertised. The only thing that was missing was the fridge, and upon taking the issue up with Blondelle on the concierge, it was sorted in a flash. Room was nice and spacious, and kept clean daily. We are glad we did not book a ' standard ' room, as upon peeking through someone else's window, they looked very cramped. The grounds were kept very well. Lovely gardens. Our room was right next door to the Italian restaurant, which was on the outskirts of the resort and was very peaceful, except for the very noisy tree frogs who excelled their chorus from dusk till dawn!! (Lol). The Italian restaurant, and Lydia's seafood restaurant were both lovely al a carts. We did not try Utsav (the Indian). On Thursday evenings Lydia's is also used to host the beach BBQ, which was great. The main buffet restaurant is Hemispheres, which offered a great choice of quality food for every meal, and good service too. The weather was mostly good, however, there were some heavy downpours. There was one day which was a complete washout! We wouldn't normally go on holiday in August, but had no choice as we were celebrating my 50th Birthday, so we kind of overlooked the fact that it was going to be Antigua's rainy season when we booked. Everyone raves about the beach, and yes, whilst it WAS lovely, we have seen better elsewhere! We found all the staff we met to be very friendly, polite, and helpful, but we would particularly like to commend Neil, Patrick, Rowan, Alvin, Sherry, and Ives, for their outstanding service they gave, especially those around the bar area, making us up all sorts of amazing cocktails. The resort has 2 pools. We found the quieter pool to be the better. We thought it was the cleaner of the two as well. We did a couple of trips. We went on the helicopter over to Montserrat, which was amazing, we did the Island jeep tour, which was very informative, and we swam with the stingrays, which was breathtaking. Oh, and we must mention Shell's fish and chip restaurant which is situated on a big red London bus just outside the resort. The fish and chips there were to die for!! We would easily recommend the JBR to anybody, and we would go back there if it wasn't for the fact that we like to see as many other countries as we can. Thanks JBR for a lovely holiday we will not forget.

Room Tip: We were in room 125 on the Hispanola block. It was a ground floor Superior. Nice and spacious, and p...
5  Thank walshmanor

I’m so happy you had a lovely relaxing holiday at Jolly Beach - especially since you were celebrating your 50th birthday!

It’s great to hear that you really enjoyed your room and the grounds, as well as our a la carte restaurants and the quieter pool. It sounds like you also enjoyed a few sightseeing excursions in Antigua and beyond, which is always great to hear, as well.

Blondel, Neil, and the others you mentioned will be delighted to hear that they helped make your stay extra special, and I’ll be sure to pass your comments along.

You mentioned that you like to see as many countries as you can, but if you ever feel like returning to JBR, we would happily welcome you back with open arms.

All the best (and belated birthday wishes),

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Me and my husband have Just returned home after spending 3 weeks at the jolly beach resort for our ruby anniversary what a fab holiday all staff fantastic thanks to Wendy reservations manager for the special touches also Neil Alwin Evelyn and front of house staff ,this was our second visit and won't be our last .room cleaned every day with fresh towels.grounds emaculate. Italian Indian and Lydia's dinning was fab .beach and pool area fantastic .what more can you ask for
Once again thank you to JBR

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3008 on third floor and had a fantastic sea view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank janey1955

Dear Janey,

Congratulations on your 40th anniversary! I’m delighted to hear that you had a fantastic holiday and celebration at Jolly Beach Resort.

I personally love to hear when our staff have gone above and beyond, and I know Wendy, Neil, Alwin, Evelyn, and the front desk staff will also be very happy to hear that they helped make your stay extra special.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We can’t wait to see you for visit #3 :)

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Starfish Jolly Beach Resort? Share your experiences!