“Excellent service and staff”

Carlisle Bay Antigua
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Saint Mary's
Kent
“Excellent service and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My Husband and I have just literally returned from 11 nights at Carlisle Bay - I had read previous reviews before booking the hotel and was worried about the comments of families there however we booked out of school holidays and were lucky in that there was minimum children there - of course we did still have the occasional family - British I am shamed to say who still allowed their children to run around the breakfast room whilst the poor staff were carrying hot drinks but this really was one family who left quite early in our trip.
We found the Carlisle Bay to be an excellent choice of hotel - you honestly will not find a friendlier and more helpful bunch of staff anywhere and they all seemed to really enjoy working there. From everyone from the gardener to the concierge staff everyone greeted us and asked how our day had been - they were excellent. I read an earlier comment on here where someone said only 2 out of 10 staff were friendly - I can only assume the guy walked around with his eyes closed as we never found one member of staff who I could say was not friendly.

The room was more than we had hoped - we stayed on the top floor of an ocean suite - it was really quiet which we wanted - the cleanliness was excellent -the room was a really good size and the view was overlooking the beach and sea - we honestly could not have wanted more from the room.

We made full use of the spa - had massages, facials, hair styled and Reiki healing and they were all excellent. I had Peggy for my Reki and hair styling and she was so friendly and very professional and really made me feel at ease. My Husband had reflexology twice as it was so good. The spa was worth every penny.

We learnt to use the Hobie Cat from the watersports - something that has been available at many hotels we have stayed in the past but I have never felt I wanted to do it - again the staff there were excellent.

Both restaurants were really good - a full choice of dishes and we only left the hotel once for lunch.

Staff that really stood out at the resort included Myrleen - a waitress in the restaurant who went out of her way to accomodate us, Michael - the main barman was excellent as we used to sit at the bar and have a drink before dinner, Vaughn on the beach could not have done more for us and Hilma and Barrymore both excellent on the beach and as I said Peggy in the Spa.

The concierge were also excellent - I needed some antibiotics whilst there and I had a call from a Dr and the antibiotics in my hand within an hour - all arranged by the concierge. Better service than I would get in the UK and not the sort of service I expected from a small island but the hotel obviously has everything set in place for guests who may fall ill during their stay.

The only criticism I would have is that there is a tray charge if you want breakfast (or whichever meal) in your room however some guests felt they did not want to eat breakfast in the restaurant with small children basically as the parents seemed to ignore the children and play on their phones so I didn't think for breakfast the other guests should be penalised - however I would like to say when we stayed there it really was one family in particular who were only there for 5 days of our stay.

I am not sure I would want to stay at Carlisle Bay during the school holidays as I feel it would be too busy with children - as long as guests know this before they book I don't feel they would have a problem as the hotel does separate families from adults only on the beach but the restaurants may be busy - in saying this we are already planning to return at a time which will not be busy for families and would not hesitate recommending this hotel to our friends. The staff give the hotel a great atmosphere as they cannot do enough for you which made our holiday!!!

Room Tip: Top floor ocean suite - don't hear any other suite walk past the room and excellent views. Olde...
3 Thank loobiloo20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Berkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We visited the Carlisle bay for the second time and loved it just as much, if not more than our first visit. The staff are helpful and extremely friendly but not intrusive. The food is good and the managers are always around the hotel and restaurants. My only complaint was the sun bed reserving that got increasingly prolific during our stay. One morning I looked out at the beach at 5.30am and all the beds facing the sea had been reserved. Not sure how you stop this but......

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank J B
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We visited in late January after the Christmas crowds had left and had a blissfully peaceful week at this elegant resort with fantastic service. Our Ocean Suite was vast and very well equipped, (we especially appreciated the automatic expresso machine) although it was 33 steps up to the top floor and some may have found that too much, one is rewarded with high ceiling and a great view over palms on beach directly outside the door. Service on the beach and by pool is first class. The restaurants, Indigo and East offer excellent food but at a price. There are many truly excellent restaurants on the island offering rather better value although not quite so convenient. The hotel is well placed half way between Jolly Harbour and English Harbour and with a hire car its possible to see the whole island and eat out well. Taxis are easily available too. The last night, Sunday, there was a buffet only night at Indigo. We hate buffets but had no choice. We would have gone out if we had known there would be no option..we asked in advance but were wrongly reassured. But breakfast was excellent and having the daily US and UK papers printed out in full daily was a bonus.

We have given this place five stars and we mean it, but there are a few niggles. The beach is perhaps not the best on the island, there are some nearby that have better sand and clearer water but the water sport facilities are excellent and the water sport staff very helpful. The pool is lovely, huge and safe, the perfect spot in the shade was always available and afternoon tea was delivered regularly at 4.00pm by a charming cheery waiter.

The free bikes were unusable, poorly maintained, chains adrift and simply not good enough...perhaps not very popular and therefore ignored by staff. One of us brought a cycling helmet, a waste of space. Come on Carlisle Bay, you can do better than this. The gift shop was staffed intermittently but sold only very expensive clothes and nick-nacks, you'd think they might have some essentials.

Overall though a heavenly fortnight and left us yearning to go back to Antigua.

Room Tip: Ocean suites are well located with great sunset views, but on three floors. Request a lower floor if...
2 Thank Wabamik
Stamford UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had a wonderful week in January at Carlisle Bay, and were well looked after. The manager, Jonathan, chatted to his guests daily and nothing was too much trouble. Michael, the Guest and Relations Manager, was incredibly helpful, especially when it came to recommendations and where we should visit.
Our room overlooked the Caribbean and we could see the volcano on Monseraat smouldering in the distance - beautiful!

I highly recommend East, one of the two on site restaurants. The Pad Thai was simply mouth watering!

A well equipped gym (complete with refreshing towels chilled in almond water) meant that we could enjoy the complimentary afternoon tea on the beach without feeling too guilty!

And I cannot omit Kessa - she was front of house and an absolute delight!

Room Tip: Go for one overlooking the sea facing west towards Monseraat. Also, it was definitely noticeable wh...
1 Thank Louise C
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My family and I have stayed at Carlisle bay multiple times, and have used many day passes they offer. One of their restaurants INDIGO on the beach, offers a casually elegant menu with an eclectic write-up. The staff are friendly and kind, coming to the table, and leaving with you hardly knowing they've been. The crispy calamari, all the build your own salads, fish dishes and soup are all delicious. The room we stayed in had an amazing high tech Italian espresso machine in the closet, complimenting its modern but comfortable chic decor. I look forward to returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Constructivecritic1
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

As soon as you walk into the lobby, you immediately feel at peace. The resort is quiet and serene despite having some families there. They do a good job at having adults stay on the other side od the resort from the families.

The rooms are spacious and inviting. I personally love the simple white that contrasts with the dark furniture. The bathroom is huge with a large tub and separate large shower. Espresso machines have whole beans in them so you can make a freshly ground latte every morning. The bed on the patio is the BEST place to read when you are done relaxing on the beach. And outside the front door is a bowl of water to clean off your feet- such attention to detail!

I loved all the activities they offered. Hobie cats, kayaks, paddleboards, snorkeling trips. The bay is so calm, it is just perfect for these activities. Or to grab a floaty and do nothing. Around 3pm, they come around and ask you what tea you want for their daily tea-time. Its these little things that I just loved.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants. They are pricey (I live in the Bay Area and am used to expensive restaurants) but service is good and so is food. If you are a big drinker, the all inclusive plan is definitely worth it.

At night they sometimes had some live music in the lounge. Our preference was choosing a movie from their list of a million movies. The hard part was deciding on one! They also have a private theater that you can reserve for your group at no charge.

Carlisle Bay is definitely a 5 star resort and I look forward to another visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissBabblicious
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed at Carlisle bay for 10 days early January. This is our third visit and we not be our last. Accommodation,food and staff were again excellent. We were worried that now there is an all inclusive option the standard may have dropped, this is not the case at all. A great place to chill and relax. We had the same room as last year, ocean front suite. Go for the 1st or 2nd floor for a great ocean view.

2 Thank Danielp2010
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to Carlisle Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!