“Nice area 'Needs Aircon' added”

Hotel Stadt Gernsbach
Hotel Stadt Gernsbach
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gernsbach
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We selected this as we couldn't get in Baden Baden town. The hotel seems to be converted from an apartment bloc and is in need of a little modernisation, we visited in June and it was very hot and without air con we had to open the balcony door to let cool air in. Unfortunately this meant we had a lot of road noisemaker including the trams and countless 2 stroke motorbikes wizzing around until the small hours, on top of the local town clock.
Had we been able to shut the door this wouldn't have been an issue but we just couldn't, as a result we got very little sleep.
The staff were excellent and very helpful and the room was clean if dated. The balcony was a lovely extra and the local town was very nice. As a biker the ride from Baden Baden was also ex excellent. Breakfast was once again very good and the staff were once again in hand for all our needs. Parking was easy and there is a local shop to the side of the hotel if you want snacks or drinks in the room. The only downside is the air condition and I hate to go on about it as everything else was perfect.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in August 2012 while on a two week driving holiday in the Black Forest. We used it as a base to visit Baden-Baden by bus using the konus card. The hotel is unusual in that reception is on the 4th floor, but the staff were welcoming. Our room was large with a reasonable size bathroom, but it could have been cleaner and the towels had seen better days.

Breakfast was the usual continental fare of juices, cereals, fruits, cheese, cooked meats and coffee, and was good. The hotel has no restaurant so we ate at two different restaurants in town.

The owners are pleasant and are trying hard, but the hotel does not really represent value for money. I suppose they can justify the price by being so close to Baden-Baden

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Beware, what you pay is what you get and this must rank amongst the worst customer service experiences of all times. We got married in July 2011 at Schloss Eberstein, which is a nice 4 star castle on top of the mountain in Gernsbach. Whilst we didn't stay personally at Hotel Stadt Gernsbach, we had ~50 guests that stayed here and I had helped with the booking process. I was a little bit embarrassed when more and more people mentioned that it wasn't what they expected. As I didn't stay in the rooms I can only comment on the part that I personally experiences: The booking process was painful from the start. I had booked a contingent to ensure that we had enough rooms for all guests ~1 year in advance which they said was aboslutely no problem. I spoke first and foremost with the owner/manager of the hotel. But the problems started to occur fast. Firsty, they noted my name incorrectly and when guests tried to book they told them that there were no rooms. When I called a few months later after some guests advised us about that - I got told that it wasn't their fault but mine. Also, they gave away some rooms and I had to battle to ensure that we got the full number of rooms as agreed in the beginning. Luckily I had an email from her confirming all these details. The majority of guests were travelling from abroad and could not speak english, which is why I offered to help and take the bookings. I thought it would be best to email the names for the rooms, thinking that they would prefer a written booking rather than doing it over the phone - but in 90% of the time I got no answer at all and when calling the following week they said they get too many emails and they couldn't be expected to read them all and answer. As they didn't confirm all booking I asked whether I could have a list of all bookings made in my contingent to make sure that everything is on track. She wasn't able to provide that... She quoted that it was down to data protection laws but considering that I had personally booked for almost all guests made this point ridiculous. I ended up spending a few hours going through my private and work email collating them all and resending them with a summarizing list to make sure that nobody had no room... A few guests tried asking questions over the phone but nobody was able to speak in english (although I was assured when booking the contingent of rooms that that would be no problem). If a guest asked a question twice they refused to answer. It was ridiculous. It got so bad that I had to remind her that we had booked out most of the hotel and that I thought it would be fair to assume she would respond to my and guest enquiries. Some of our guests had dietary requirements and wanted to make sure that they were met - but the owner / manager of the hotel simply refused to answer their queries. Luckily the majority of our guests were in holiday mood and refrained from extensive discussions with them about the level of service, but it all became a running joke how badly run this hotel was. I cannot recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: The Hotel faces a track and a street which is obviously very noisy - ask for a room that faces to th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank reddogredrot
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Spent three nights in one of the most depressing rooms in a long time. I travel a lot and usually stay at more upscale hotels, however, this was the only one available when visiting family. The carpet in the room was very thin and an odd grey/blue color. There was a very small TV. The bed did not have box springs, the mattress rested on a platform which is fine, however, if you turned a certain way, the springs in the mattress shifted and creaked. The bathroom was the most depressing feature of all. NO Amenities save for a tiny package of liquid soap, oh, there was a hair dryer. The towels were very thin and worn. There was mold and mildew along the shower, no tub. The ceiling paint was coming off in patches, it looked like there was some water damage. The toilet was located right behind the door, very awkward. The color scheme was mustard/yellow, just very old tiles. The whole building needs a complete overhaul. I understand it's mostly used as a stop-over for hikers. I only spent nights there, way too depressing to spent much time in the room. This is not a hotel you go to to linger in the room. Cannot comment on the breakfast, did not purchase it.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces the train tracks, so that's not a good location. Even the side of...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank karlsruhe_79
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The rooms are a little old fashioned but well maintained and spotlessly clean. There is no restaurant only a breakfast room. The breakfast was typical consisting of bread, cheese, eggs, cold meats cereals and fruit all plentiful and fresh. The staff were extremely helpful and recommended us to what they said was the best restaurant in town, a Croatian eaterie. They were right the food was excellent. The hotel is in the newer part of town which is unprepossessing but you are only a 250 mtr walk from the bridge that crosses the river into the old town which is quite charming. If you are arriving late as we we did you need to advise the hotel as the reception closes early and they will tell you where to collect your keys.
The million dollar question, would i stay there again ? Yes

Room Tip: The hotel is in a quiet location but there is a local tramway to the front of the building so you mi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We had trouble to find good hotel in this area.
But we find it in Gernsbach.
Hotel Stadt was positive surprise for us.
Friendly staff, good breakfast, big rooms and clean. Free parking.
There is no restaurant (only breakfast) but it's no problem.
Hotel is close to old city. No more than 200-300 meters across the river. There is a few restaurants. Close to Baden-Baden (about 10 km) and highway (also 10 km).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2010

I spent 2 nights with my 2 teenagers in Aug 2010 in this hotel. For the price we paid, this was the best hotel we stayed in Germany. This hotel has old fashioned German/Austrian look.

Room was clean, beds old fashioned European, deep and very clean deep bathroom tub , terrace with view of black forest and free parking.

There is a grocery store next door with best prices we saw in Germany. You can’t beat great breakfast for six Euros and three Euros for internet.

If you are traveling with family and kids, this is a great place for under 80 Euros.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family