“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Schloss Elmau

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elmau
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Are you looking for tranquility and need to recharge your batteries? There is no better place then Schloss Elmau. Service is better and better with each stay. Rooms are spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. Even with children you will enjoy yourselves in family spa, kids club or just hanging......... It is not cheap, but for sure worth every penny.

Room Tip: For families it is good to stay in Wetterstein wing, even little further away from the spay. Rooms a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jana M
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Jana M,

It is such a pleasure to see how much you appreciate the hotel and our constant efforts to improve your experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next visit if I can help in any way.

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
München
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Schloss Elmau is magical. It is a great place to spend a family holiday or to recharge your batteries. The mix of world class spa and the best cultural program ever is unparalleled. Combine that with the beautiful surounding landscape, extremely tasteful interiors, professional service and great food and you understand why this is an experience not to be missed. The hotel bar is full of atmosphere and it is a tragedy that the strict non smiking rules in Bavaria no longer allow for cigar smoking.

One draw back you should be aware of is that certain areas of the hotel have restricted access for kids (Bar and Spa) If you dont have kids that may be good news, if you do you have to choose between either spending your pool time with your kids in a rather mediocre indoor pool area or to be in the amazing heated outdoor rooftop pool without your kids. They need to upgrade the family spa area to make this choice less painful.

Another draw back are the rates, which are very high during the year and beyond ridiculous during the Christmas holidays.

They have the best hotel bookstore ever, with a great kids section and an amazing program of lectures and concerts in the in house concert hall. Even if you are not a classic music or Jazz fan you will enjoy the option to stop by a concert after breakfast or before dinner and just sample what is being offered that day. The quality of the artists and lecturers is unparalleled.

Anyway, if you dont mind spending a fortune on your holidays, this is a great place to visit!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear JonasB516,

"Best Hotel on the Planet"!!!! Wow, that is some serious high praise. What else can I say. Thank you so much and please let me know before you next booking if I can help in any way.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Our family of 6 have just come back from an (all too short) four day stay in this beautiful hotel. My 9 year old daughter has announced that she wants to live there. She and her younger sister were the only English speaking children in the activities for older children but couldn't stay away (thank you, Katrin). The spa facilities are the best I have ever experienced. There is an adult-only building (including a huge hammam) but also a family spa with pool, saunas and steam rooms. In every respect, it is a wonderful hotel but the staff particularly deserve praise for their warmth and expertise. Our rooms were of the highest standard. We were slightly apprehensive that the atmosphere might be a bit formal but that concern was completely misplaced. One caveat: a new hotel building is in the process of construction but this did not intrude on us. A truly great hotel which I (and, most certainly, all of my family) would be delighted to return to and the sooner the better.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Biabeo
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Biabeo,

When I saw you and your family prior to your departure returning from the Family Spa and your daughter stating that she wants to live here, I responded with "we can arrange that!" That offer was sincere! I am so delighted to hear that you all enjoyed all that Schloss Elmau has to offer. It was a pleasure getting the chance to meet all of you and I hope that you and your husband enjoyed the Japanese dinner the last night of your stay. As I offered when we first met, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future with any request you may have. I look forward to the next visit already.

Münche
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have been coming here for more than 5 years and we are enjoying ourselves a lot each time. Unlike other locations, Elmau is perfectly catering for the needs of different types of travellers. Singles or couples will find ample opportunities for peace and quiet. Families do not have to worry about disturbing anybody and will find high quality entertainment for the kids, a special kids lunch and a separate Family Spa. Our 4 year old son always gets excited when we tell him that we are going to “The Schloss” for vacation.

What makes Elmau very special is the extremely friendly staff, especially when communicating with our son - he is taken seriously and feels safe to move freely by himself around the hotel.

In summary: Great place. We are planning already our next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Korbinian K,

As always, thank you for the visit, and do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next arrival. We all enjoy thoroughly having you and your family with us. And I am glad to hear you son appreciates being taken seriously! All the guests at Schloss Elmau, regardless of age are taken seriously, but with a smile!

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Amazing – and Vegan friendly - resort!

I learned about Schloss Elmau from 2 dear friends, who learned about Schloss Elmau from its resident yoga instructor (Johannes) while attending a yoga retreat together in India.

I am a well-seasoned traveller, having just completed my 107th trip to Europe. I have stayed in lovely hotels, average hotels, and awful hotels; therefore, I find Trip Advisor to be one of my essential travel tools. I love reading the reviews, but many just aren’t detailed enough for me (yeah, yeah, yeah – you love a hotel, but tell us WHY you love it so much). So here goes …

I really wanted to stay here, after hearing about Schloss Elmau from my yoga friends, and then learning that the shcloss is located just 30 km from Oberammergau, a beautiful little Bavarian village where I am lucky enough to visit (for business) twice a year. This last business trip called for a week in Brussels, then a week in Oberammergau – so what was I to do the weekend in between? Ah – let’s give Schloss Elmau a try …

The attention to service was evident from the moment I attempted to book my room. I was on their web site, but it would not take my VISA card; after 3 attempts I called the hotel directly. The nice gentleman who answered the phone explained they were having IT difficulties and apologized (rare this day and age). He explained the Reservations Desk was closed at that hour, apologized AGAIN, then took my phone number, and assured me the Reservations staff would call me the next day at a time of my choosing. After the phone call, I tried booking online again; this time I was successful using my AmEx. The next morning, the Reservations staff called at EXACTLY the time I had requested. I explained that I was successful in booking the reservation, but asked if I could move the charges to my VISA; the staff responded with a resounding “Of course!” Just from talking to those 2 individuals, I could tell the staff aims to please their guests – even the ones who have not yet arrived for their first visit. WOW!

After reviewing the Spa services on the web site, I e-mailed the spa with a massage request. The response was almost immediate; booking confirmed. By the way, the spa calendar fills up quickly, so book your spa services before arriving.

Value for money – sounds expensive at first, but when you get breakfast, plus 50 Euro to spend at the restaurants daily, musical concerts, water, tea, cake of the day, use of the spa areas (pools, relaxing area, Turkish Hamam, steam room, sauna, outdoor seating on beautiful days), gym, yoga classes (my personal addiction), free wi-fi throughout the hotel (room and relaxing area included), free mini-bar in room, all with a stunning backdrop of snow-covered Alps, etc – it is worth every dollar/euro!!

Driving time from Munich Airport to Schloss Elmau is 2 hours. The driving directions provided on the hotel’s web site are perfect (this coming from someone who gets lost going to the bathroom).

Room: I had the smallest, simplest room (travelling alone). The room was spotlessly clean, and decorated tastefully. Comfortable bed, TV, minibar, desk and windows that open. My room faced the inner courtyard; there was some noice, which I prefer (grew up on a busy street, need noise to fall asleep). If you need absolute quiet, you may want to request a room that does not face the courtyard.

Bathroom: Beautiful! Roomy shower, plush towels, and amazing amenities. Schloss Elmau offers their own brand of shampoo, condition, lotion and bath wash – of course, all are top quality.

Staff: Your every wish is their desire! Everyone seems truly happy to be working here. There was no attitude, no rolling of eyes when you requested assistance with something, etc.

Spa: Wonderful. I booked the Healing Blend massage (hot stone on the back, Lomi Lomi on the front). Highly recommended. Can’t wait to try other services on my next visit.

Relaxing areas: A-MAZ-ING!!! More comfortable lounges than one could possibility imagine, and so many different places to lounge (Turkish Hamam, ladies only room, family room, by the ground floor pool, by the roof-top pool, etc).

Pools: Three were open during my March visit: (1) ground floor heated salt water; (2) roof top heated salt water, and (3) family heated salt water. The weather was unseasonably warm (i.e., just perfect), so a quick dip in the heated pool did not leave you freezing upon exit.

Shops: There is a book store, a home furnishings, and a clothing store. All with beautiful, unique items.

Food:
- Dinner #1: La Salle dinner buffet. Impressive variety and so delicious!!! Too bad I’m a vegan, because the cheese selection was the best I’ve seen anywhere (located across from the cooking station) – don’t miss it.
- Breakfast #1: Ananda Spa Café. They cater to vegan breakfast requests, like a spicy tofu scramble.
- Dinner #2: Fidelio Italian Restaurant. Perfetto! While dinner was wonderful and the service outstanding, I felt a little conspicuous as a single diner; this place is VERY romantic.
- Breakfast #2: La Salle breakfast buffet. Just as impressive as the dinner buffet. It will take you one week alone just to work your way through the fresh juice options!!
- Vegan & GF comments: There is a gluten-free section of breads offered at La Salle for breakfast (at the rear of the restaurant, near the cooking station). I try to eat a plant-based diet whenever possible, which is very easy at home, but quite difficult when travelling – Schloss Elmau made it very easy – Thank You!
- BONUS INFO: Both mornings I started my day at La Salle with a Café Latte (happily made with soy milk), then attended the 9am yoga class, then ate breakfast afterwards.

I’m usually up and gone by 9 am on check-out day. NOT THIS TIME. Check-out was 11:30 am, which means you must vacate your room by that time. The staff retrieved my bags, then gave me a special key which granted access to the Badehaus / Spa areas; they told me I was welcome to stay as long as I wanted for the remainder of the day. I finally (begrudgingly) left at 4pm. A quick phone call to the front desk (from Ananda staff) and my car was brought around before I could change into my departure clothes.

My overall impression of Schloss Elmau? Well – I have nothing to compare it to, because this place in a class ALL BY ITSELF! Everything was so clean, you could eat off of any surface (including the floors), the staff are so friendly and accommodating, and it was so quiet (in 3 days, I never once heard a mobile/cell phone ring – or even vibrate). THIS is the standard by which I will measure all future hotels.

I plan to return to Schloss Elmau for a weekend, following each time I must work in Oberammergau. What a jewel – thank you Logan & Johanna for telling me about this little slice of heaven; and thank you, Johannes (Schloss Elmau’s resident Yoga Instructor) for making me feel so welcome before, during and after my stay – I LOVE my Jivamukti family.

In all my years of travel, I have only cried 3 times at the thought of having to depart an amazing destintation. The first was my first visit to Rome in 1997, the second was Pranamar Villas outside the tiny surfing village of Santa Teresa, Costa Rica in 2012, and the third was my first (but certainly not my last) visit to Schloss Elmau. One last note – for those of you out there who love to travel AND be pampered - what Schloss Elmau is to luxury in the Alps on a large scale, Pranamar Villas is to luxury in the tropics of Central America on a small scale – it is NOT to be missed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the central courtyard are a little noisy; if you require silence to sleep, request a room n...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank LittleDolores
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Dolores,

I truly appreciate your thorough review. It is important for the readers of TripAdvisor to get a real sense for what a guest thinks and feels during a stay, I you did this in a very eloquent yet precise way. Johannes has created a wonderful Yoga program here in Schloss Elmau and it is always evolving even further. Thank you also for the comments regarding the service staff and the kitchen, who are endlessly trying to expand our Vegan option and their understanding of this Culinary Art. Of behalf of the Housekeeping Department I also thank you for realizing their efforts, which often seem to go unseen. Please let me know prior to your next booking if I can assist in any way.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Schloss Elmau is a dream come true -- a beautiful hotel made of all natural materials, wood and stone -- windows that open to the cool, clear mountain air -- outdoor pools open all year, all weather, all day -- a paradise for children but with lots of peaceful places for grown-ups -- classical music played on splendid Steinway pianos -- a beautiful library with real books -- and all this in a splendid setting, with beautiful views of the mountains from every window, with skiing, hiking, castles all an easy drive away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mmedesevigne
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Mmedesevigne,

I am so happy to hear that will fulfilled your expectations, and that you left wanting more! I hope to host you again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I just spent a thoroughly enjoyable week at Schloss Elmau. The hotel is wonderfully luxurious and our rooms were perfectly appointed. The surrounding area is stunningly beautiful and though we spent a few days skiing in nearby Seefeld and Garmisch we could have happily spent 7 days without leaving the resort.

We were there with our two small children and my parents and it truly catered to everyone's needs. The spa is divided into child and non-child friendly areas which means you can take kids swimming without bothering people who are looking for a more tranquil time and there is a brilliant playroom that is staffed between 9am and 9pm so you can join your children there or leave them. We used it most evenings so we could have dinner alone and they were very happy there. In the rest of the spa I particularly recommend the rooftop pool. It's breathtaking and despite being about 3 degrees outside was lovely and warm. I also enjoyed the yoga classes and my husband said the massage he had was phenomenal.

There are 4 restaurants so you don't get bored eating there. We especially loved the fondue and Luce D'Oro where the food really is art. Breakfast is amazing. We have been lucky to have stayed in some incredible hotels and we agreed it was the best breakfast of them all.

We were initially in the Wetterstein Wing in a huge 2 bedroom suite but moved to a suite and separate room in the main building. There are benefits to both. The initial room was larger and very close to the play room but the second room was closer to the action and perhaps had slightly better views. We stayed in 507 and it was a perfect space for the 4 of us with a balcony looking onto the mountains.

We were really impressed with all the staff who were, without exception, professional and friendly. Nikolai, the General Manager, is extremely hands on and takes great care to make sure you are having a good time. It is German resort primarily but almost all of the staff speak perfect English.

The piano bar is fantastic and there was live music there each evening. And jolly good cocktails too.

If you visit do walk to Elmauer Alm. The walk took us about 45 minutes each way and worth every step for the incredible scenery and then cute and inviting restaurant.

The ski concierge was brilliantly useful and everything is arranged for you from ski and boot hire to lift passes to transfers.

We definitely plan to return and would love to visit in the summer.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues then the main building will suit you better. If you have children you ma...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 2Shooz
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear 2Shooz,

I love your trip advisor name! It was a pleasure having you and the entire family with us. We were happy to see that you enjoyed both rooms, and that you did not mind the room move. We thought giving you the option, and letting you choose from the benefits each room has to offer was the right thing to do. It is also great to see that you were able to take advantage of all the Winter in Schloss Elmau has available. We look forward to your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to the planning, we will even come and get you from the Innsbruck Airport.

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmau
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#2 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
#1 of 7 in Hohenschwangau
Hotel Zugspitze
Hotel Zugspitze
#3 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Been to Schloss Elmau? Share your experiences!