“Interesting gardens with mostly free entry. (I think there is a fee for pre-booked guided group tours)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Altamont Gardens

Altamont Gardens
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Tullow
Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We came from the nearby Mount Wolseley to view the Altamont gardens.

Anyone interested in trees or plants will love it - many interesting specimens are there with identifying name labels.

I would stress that you need to keep children within reach at all times due to the nearness of water.

A shortish walk would be to do a lap of the lake, coming back to briefly view the walled garden interior.
Of course if you have any interest in trees at all, you could be pausing to view more than walking!

Don't expect a kitchen garden in the walled garden area - it is mostly taken over with plant sales at present, and a portion with some apple trees planted in it was out-of-bounds when we visited. There is a small tea-room within the walled garden part as well.

Internal signage is quite attactive - etched and whited lettering in a cursive script on roof-slates, with the appearance of being hand-carved.

A nice random touch was a vintage Raleigh bike near the tea-rooms.

Overall, a lovely garden with plenty of items of interest. I will definitely visit again next time I am in the area.

• Polish first
Kildare, Ireland
“Fantastic day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Went to the Altamount gardens last week, husband and toddler also. We all found it very enjoyable. Lovely quaint coffee shop, very reasonable. The gardens spectacular, the ponds breathtaking. Well worth a visit, will be back, i have just found my hidden gem! Next time i might bring a book and go by myself, so peaceful. Watchful of young children, alot of water, but mostly barriered off, as usual parents have to be cautious. It does not have a playarea (swings), but to be truthful i think it would spoil it if it did.

Dublin, Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A wonderful spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were lucky with the weather so we were able to enjoy the gardens as well as the river walk. The garden is breath taking with the Lilly pond as centre piece. There are seats around the garden to rest and enjoy the view. The river walk is more natural yet equally beautiful in its own way. Be warned that getting back to the main garden requires climbing "100 steps". The is a seat halfway up the climb.

There is a pleasant coffee shop and garden centre attached.

Judging from the amount of cars parked Easter Monday, it is a popular place. My only complaint was the difficulty trying to negotiate the exit. Cars were parked both sides of the narrow enough lane.

Carlow, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I love this place and I always try to go there as much as possible. Each season there is like a different garden. I highly recommend this please to anyone who loves the outdoors.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Aaron R
Israel
311 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“A great landscape garden!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I'll never skip Altamont garden in my twice a years visits to Ireland (with groups - I am a tour guide from Israel). Altamont gardens is my real love and I have been to quite a few gardens in Ireland. It is the best example of a lovely landscape garden. The combination of nature and a garden which comes out of nature , which derives from the landscape is fantastic in Altamont. The staff there - Pauline the manager and Paul the chief gardener are lovely people .
Charming place!!!