Stayed for 3 nights with my wife and 2 children. The stay was great in many ways, but there are a lot of "buts"!
Rooms were a good size with empty fridge for food, but the windows were quite small.
The food in the restaurant was excellent, but it was the exact same menu for three nights in a row, which made it quite tedious. Some of the meals didn't make the grade.
The waiting staff in the restaurant were lovely, but they seemed really tired - the same people were serving breakfast and dinner, so it was a really long day for them.
The grounds were lovely, but since it was a golf course, it was no good for walking or running on.
The pool was OK, but it got really crowded - there were 40 people in it (including and aqua aerobics class) at one stage!
There is a kids club, but to be honest it seemed like an excuse for one, with limited activities. It was really a golf hotel that wanted to tap into the family break market, the hotel needs to decide which one it is, or try better to succeed in both. There was a bouncy castle out the back but it was wet and dirty, and wasn't getting much use. The next day it wasn't even inflated.
There is High Tea for the kids, but our boys didn't really enjoy it, and I quote "The food wasn't nice and the lady in charge was really bossy", they didn't want to go back. In fairness, the food seemed very average, small crispy pizzas, also one of the starters was "Fresh Fruit Juice" but was in fact Squeez juice, from concentrate. When leaving the lads up there, the lady in charge seemed really stroppy and, well, didn't seem to like children. I know it's a tough gig, but try to act the part! Also hard to find (go in the golf shop entrance, it's up the stairs on the left, no signage).
The location is nice enough, but there is very little to do in Tullow, or around. A trip to Kilkenny city, a walk along the Barrow river, trips to Glendalough or Powerscourt are some possibilities.
I can't comment on the golf as I didn't partake, but that seemed to be pretty good.
Great gym there, and the spa treatment my wife got was very good.
Bar staff were enthusiastic, but most seemed to be very inexperienced.
That all said, it was good value for money, it's just that it seems that with a tiny bit more effort on the hotel's part it could have being fantastic, instead it falls somewhere between Average and Very Good, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On entering The Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort guests receive a warm personal welcome. In every way Mount Wolseley has been designed to compliment the history of the site and the beauty of its location. Stunning landscapes are visible from every room. From the grand staircase, sparkling chandeliers to the glistening Italian marble floors this hotel was designed for luxury. Reinvigorate your spirit in the Wolseley Spa, test your skills on the challenging golf course or simply spend a leisurely afternoon curled up with a good book in your spacious bedroom. Surrender yourself to this splendid resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Country Club Hotel Tullow
- Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa And Country Club
- Mount Wolseley Hotel Country
- Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort Tullow, Ireland - County Carlow