I was thoroughly impressed by Desert Camp. The location is good, just 3 mins away from the main park gate, and the rooms are good quality. One big plus, so many power points (rare in these types of accommodation). There was also free wifi that went out into the tented rooms - down the road at the more upmarket Sossus Dune Lodge, they don't have this.
One of the best things was the dinner - you pre-order and they bring you a braai pack so you can bbq as the sun sets over the mountain. I had oryx, kudu and eland, with some salad, and the meat was brilliant. A nice touch. Staff were helpful and friendly and rooms were clean. Wildlife was all around, jackals came right up to the braai and there were oryx roaming about 50-75 metres away.
If you can't get into the park - for the pre dawn departure to sossusvlei, then this would be my first choice outside of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Desert Camp is situated only 5 km from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon in the Namib Naukluft Park. Nestled under centuries old thorn trees, Desert Camp offers an unsurpassed view over the desert landscape and surrounding mountains. The 20 affordable, self-catering accommodation units under canvas are equipped with an en-suite bathroom, shaded veranda with a fitted kitchenette, barbeque, power points and an adjacent parking area. Each twin-bedded bedroom features a fold-out sleeper couch where 2 small children (under 12) can be accommodated for free when sharing with their parents. Facilities at the main building include a fully stocked and serviced bar with big screen television, a sparkling swimming pool and 2 communal boma-areas which are perfect for groups travelling together. Fresh food supplies can be ordered daily at reception. Meals can be enjoyed at the nearby Sossusvlei Lodge restaurant. Exciting desert activities like Guided Excursions to Sossusvlei, Quad Biking, Sundowner Drives and magnificent Scenic Flights over the dunes and coast can be booked at the Sossusvlei Lodge Adventure Centre. A fully stocked shop, fuel and an Internet cafe is available at the Sossus Oasis Service Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Desert Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sossusvlei Desert Camp Hotel Sossusvlei
- Desert Camp Namibia/Sossusvlei