“Friendly B&B”

The Old School House B&B
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Went for a weekend away with family to Ballinskelligs. We were greeted by the owner Lillian, who ,ade us feel at home by making us a cup of tea and showing us to our room! We got the big family room, which was perfect! Could be a bit more updated though! Breakfast was good. Overall the B&B could be a bit more updated, although I know its called the 'Old School House' for a reason! Lovely and social owners, Dominic and Lillian. Dominic had great stories. Wouldn't give it a five star rating. But enjoyed the home from home experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank dennieok

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here for a few nights & couldn't wait to get out of it. Weird hospitality, gospel/ church singing during dinner not my cup of tea. Although they tried to provide entertainment it was more a case of forcing their own preference onto guests. The room was damp, the shower mouldy & the lump of chipboard under the mattress to hide the broken base jutted out & caused a big bruise on my chin. Beds not made daily & i wasnt sure if they were changed from the previous guests. The grounds are littered with old car parts and Fáilte Ireland sign disregarded on the ground is a sign of things to come inside. The prayer room, yes this B&B seconds as a church, will be recommended to you too (just weird)!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TurasNua
Reviewed 8 August 2013

As Kevin M said in a previous review this is the epitome of an Irish B & B. Sadly so many are run as purely commercial operations and have no interest in the guests as people. Dominic & Lillian are such a warm, friendly welcoming couple that you feel right at home the minute you arrive.
We stayed for 3 nights with our 2 teenagers on one of the glorious weekends in July 2013. The family room is very spacious and comfortably sleeps 5 (dble bed + bunk bed + a proper single bed).
There was always a good buzz at breakfast time as Dominic & Lillian chat freely with the guests making for a very laid back relaxed meal.Breakfasts were good - on the 3rd morning I decided to have just 2 sausages & a poached egg. I got 2 sausages + 2 poached eggs on a large heart shaped slice of toast....In 2 mins my tech savy teens had a pic on Facebook !
Its not a registered B & B but don't let that put you off ! The charm and friendliness of lillian & Dominic make for a much more enjoyable B & B experience than one would ever find in the plushest 4 star resort !
Be sure to ask for directions to the wonderful Inney beach which is only 1-2 miles away. Great for a walk when the tide is out in summer or winter.
Check out this B & B ...you wont be disappointed !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank meggyocon
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed here from June 17 to June 22nd 2012. My first impression was a welcoming, friendly atmosphere! I was greeted by Lilian, she showed me to my lovely room and made me some tea :) My room was bright and clean and the decor was lovely! The garden outside is beautiful on a sunny day, with beautiful views of the mountains. Dominic and Lilian are very warm people with loving hearts and made me feel welcomed and relaxed! Ballinskelligs is a peaceful town and The Old School House is perfect for anyone seeking peace and refreshment. I would love to return one day! Brenda McMahon, Cork, Ireland

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Brenda M
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed for one night at The Old School House. As we parked up we were met outside by Dominick with a welcoming smile and some good humored banter. The house is very homely with a relaxing atmosphere, our room was clean and very comfortable. We had a lovely breakfast and some great conversation with Dominick and Lillian. When we departed our only regret was that we were not staying for longer.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Had an excellent one night stay here over the Easter weekend!

We stayed here as our "base" as we set off to explore Skellig Michael...the morning of our trip out our boat canceled at the last minute, but Dominick and Lillian swung into action and found us an alternative trip instead.

The best pancakes I've ever had in Ireland...and be sure to ask Dominick for a sample of some of his magic tricks...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank dubaris
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Old School House is conveniently located near the Ballinskelligs Pier if one plans to visit the ancient monastic settlement on top of Skellig Michael. The rooms were warm, clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious. The Old School House is operated by two of the most genuinely inviting and lovely people you will ever meet. I traveled with a group of three in hopes of taking the boat out to Skellig Michael, unfortunately the weather and ocean swells prevented our goal. But what we thought was a serious downer to our trip turned out to be a moment where unplanned events led to an encounter that our group will cherish forever. On the morning of our planned departure, the owners of the Old School House, Dominic and Lillian, called early to the boat men to see if the weather allowed the trip. When they found out the bad news, they made sure to tell us before we traveled to the docks. Good thing they did, because we avoided getting wet in the rain. Dominic and Lillian, being gracious hosts, cooked us up a wonderful breakfast and entertained us with great conversation. They stoked up the fire and allowed us to play with their new puppy. We ended up talking til noon. I have traveled a fair amount, and I always place Ireland up at the top of my favorite places in the world due to two reasons. First, the natural beauty will take your breath away. Second, the people of Ireland are warm, charming and love their country. Dominic and Lillian are perfect examples of the amazing Irish hospitality. Thank you both for a wonderful time, and we all hope to meet you again in our travels.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bart0s10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinskelligs
Tig an Rince
#1 of 3 in Ballinskelligs
QC's Townhouse
QC's Townhouse
#1 of 20 in Cahersiveen

Been to The Old School House B&B? Share your experiences!