“A very pleasant surprise”

Plantation Beach Villas
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My wife and I were walking along Grafton Beach and spotted a swimming pool behind a picket fence lined with palm trees. We walked up the path and discovered the pool and bar area of Plantation Beach Villas. We met Sean , the manager, and he gave a a run down of amenities and price. We were shown one of six identical villas on the hillside overlooking the beach. We took a chance and booked for two nights but ended up staying for the rest of our vacation. Plantations is tropical and serene. The villas are two stories with 2 bedrooms upstairs each with a full bath and terrace. Downstairs is a third bedroom with bath. The living room has tv,stereo and bookshelves. There is a phone and local calling is part of the deal, The lower deck is accessible through enormous french doors that fold back to open up the view to the gardens below and the sea. The kitchen has all neccessary for cooking and plenty of ice for drinking. Each bedroom has A/C.
The best part of the house is the daily maid service. This includes kitchen chores and laundry service. Machines are located inside the villa. For an aditional charge the maid will shop for and prepare meals. The maid for our villa is Nadine. She is very professional, very friendly and an excellent cook.
The pool bar serves no food but provides a first rate barman named Ivan. He is very well versed on all things Tobago and is happy to answer any and all questions.
Plantations is like a home away from home located in a setting that is close to ideal. We will return as often as we can.

Room Tip: fitness center located in hotel on adjacent property
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank insideman

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The villa I stayed in was located atop a very steep hill, which made for beautiful views. The view was the only good thing about this villa. The villa felt like it has not been updated since built. A maid comes in daily to clean, but as you will see in my pictures the living room ceiling fan has not been dusted since installation. There were bugs and ants prevalent in the kitchen and bathroom. I am from the Caribbean, so I am used to bugs/insects, but if my mother can control bugs and ants from becoming a problem, then shame on this hotel. One morning as I slept I felt something crawling on my face; I caught the insect and realised it was a large ant. The night before when I pulled back the sheets I saw a small spider (I think) that I had to kill. The establishment provides a pamphlet on the hotel and activities. In the pamphlet it stated that the bar and grill, located by the pool, opened at 11 am. One morning I went down to the pool with the hope of grabbing a quick bite. At about 11:15 am a gentleman started stocking the outdoor bar; I approached and asked if there was a menu I could look at. He responded that the bar and grill did not serve food. Interesting since it was called a bar and grill, and the pamphlet provided by the hotel indicated that one could order food from the bar and grill. Granted the villa did have a kitchen in which one can cook food, but I was only staying at the villa for a wedding and did not bring or buy provisions with which to cook. Also, the shower needed bleach as the shower curtain was very moldy. I am biased towards towards all-inclusive resorts so I found this establishment rather lacking.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Kathy C
IslandGirl081, Manager at Plantation Beach Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Kathy,
Thanks for your review. Our resort was booked, all six villas by the person who organised the wedding party. This always causes a challenge in that we're communicating with only one person but relying on her to pass on the information to 36. At our Check-In briefing guests would have been told again, that our Beach Bar was not serving food at this time, but with this particular wedding group couples were coming in at different times and in most instances we only met one couple on Check-In at each villa, and obviously the food arrangements had not been passed on to you all.
We are in the process of upgrades, and this being the slow season, other than this Wedding party, September to November are when these are done. Due to the climate, particle board fan blades de-laminate and do look unsightly so these are replaced regularly, the one pictured has been already, as well as others in that and the other villas.
We do what we can to control bugs, but as our villas are very open, and the area very natural and green, we do get some "passing through".
As can be seen in the other reviews, at PBV we strive to maintain the highest standards, and I assure you we will see what needs to be adjusted to ensure that customer satisfaction is maintained.
Thanks again for your frank comments,
Sean

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We were in Tobago for our son's wedding and rented 5 of the 6 villas. All us locals and some foreign family stayed at the Villas. What a lovely location and facility - the villas are comfortable and well appointed and situated on the lovely Grafton Beach. The staff very friendly, helpful and professional.

P.S. (Pretty certain that those who stayed at other locations (overseas family and friends) were envious of our accommodation. After all they spent most of their time with us at Plantation Beach Villas.)

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy O
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have been to Tobago four times now, and I have stayed at Plantation Beach Villas each and every time! I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. I love how an entire family can stay together in one of the beautiful villas and how close the villas are to the ideal Black Rock beach. If you are looking for rest and relaxation, this is where you want to stay! The staff is caring and quick to help, the bartender can make a mean pina colado, and you are in the most beautiful settings on the island. I just love it here! Highly recommend.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Hannah V
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Stayed at PBV with my wife and friends previously and we are all going back in September 2012.
The location is ideally situated on one of the better beaches on the island. The villa is very well furnished and comfortable for three couples or a small family. The staff is very helpful and nothing is too much for them to do to make your stay unforgettable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vacationer61
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

The villas are bright, breezy and well appointed. Deep wrap around verandas feel like the real Caribbean. Excellent kitchen and housekeeping is good. Pool area also well landscaped, great little bar poolside. The beach is lovely, but inexperienced swimmers beware. We had an event catered and were very happy with both the food and the service. All the staff have a very "can do" attitude, which, to be honest , is not always the case in that part of the world. Good value, we'll be returning for sure!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank moirahs
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the villas, we rented 3 of them for a family reunion. The villas were spacious, comfortable and the ambiance created because of the old west indian style and was magic. We saw King Fishers on our verandah in the morning while having breakfast. The staff were helpful and friendly despite a stream of vistiors. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago
Len and Leona's Holiday Hideout
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Plantation Beach Villas? Share your experiences!