“Grafton Beach hotel Tobago”

Grafton Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Grafton Beach hotel Tobago”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We were nervous as several of the previous reviews were poor. However it turned out to be a very pleasant stay. The accommodation was fine and the service very good. There was a faulty room safe and when I reported it it was dealt with very quickly.

The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable.

We were full board but tended to only have the breakfast and evening meal. The food was fine, some meals were excellent. The breakfasts were rather dull with the same menu every day.

The hotel bar is right by the pool which is handy. Our full board also included booze (not bubbly though). The beach bar is also handy as they serve hot snacks as well. However even though we could have any amount of booze at the hotel bar there was a price limit on drinks for the beach bar. It was $15 (US).

The island is lovely and I would recommend a 4x4 trip into the rain forest rather than the coach trip around the outside of the island.

Its also worth taking a boat trip which usually includes a BBQ on one of the beaches, ours was at 'No man's lands'.

There is a 'Sunday School' (unsurprisingly on Sundays). We thought it would be for kids but turned out to be a wild party evening with a steel band lots of drinking etc. It kicks off at about 9pm and apparently goes on till about 4am, though we were all danced out by midnight !

I did some SCUBA diving but it was not that great (compared to the Red Sea or the Great Barrier Reef) however there are some very large brain corals and a few turtles.

There were a couple of Squash courts but I did not use them.

We would recommend the island and the hotel.

Ian

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view, also the top floor has a better view of the sea as there low level bui...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ianrussell99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
North England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We went to the Grafton Beach for our honeymoon. The note about the wedding hadn't come through to the hotel so we were put into a twin room overlooking the garden. We kept going back to reception who told us that they would try to move us. So the first three days of our honeymoon were spent in a twin with us living out of a suitcase.

We were very insulted by a local rep who was working with the hotel. He was called Randall. He said, "What did you expect, a revolving bed and mirrors and chandeliers?" I was very upset by this. All I wanted was a double bed for my honeymoon and I was being mocked and ridiculed.

We eventually got moved (by the hotel staff, not with any help from Randall) to an excellent room with a king bed, overlooking the sea. The air-con worked very well and there was a TV with international channels.

The next night, there was a knock at the door and a maid brought us a birthday cake. EH? She insisted that we accepted it. It was sponge cake with a buttercream top and way too big for two of us to eat after our dinner and unlikely to keep. We had a slice and then took it into a the local dive shop the next day for the staff to eat.

The breakfasts were very good with plenty of choice and the evening meals were also acceptable. The local dive shop, Adventure Eco Divers, allied to, but no belonging to, the hotel was wonderful.

The sunsets on the beach were fantastic and made up for some of the shortcomings.

Room Tip: Specify a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fish99
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

This hotel has a very good location for families that want to be able to enjoy a good swimming beach and a pool without the hassle of driving to one or the other. The price to stay at this hotel however does not equate the facities or the service being provided here. There are hotels with the same and some with better facilities than Grafton at a much cheaper price. The service is fair except for the bartender who worked the swim-up bar, she definitely needed some training in customer service. The variety of food was ok, nothing spectacular, but they did not replenish items. The major problem though was that management openly allowed foreigners different pool privileges which was difficult to explain to my children!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Trinispirit

Travellers are raving about these Black Rock hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

just spent a fabulous week at this hotel, which we were not expecting after reading some of the terrible reviews. Upon arrival the operations manager Alpha took our cases and personally escorted us to our room, gave us the relevant info regarding dining and left us to settle in. The customer service at this hotel was quite honestly first class, all members of staff greeted us with a warm welcome.
Dining was mainly a la carte for lunch and dinner, myself being a vegetarian, the chefs were totally amazing with some of the dishes they created for me. I tend to struggle with dining when on holiday, but this was probably the best food I have been served on a holiday. My partner was equally impressed with the dining experience as he loves seafood, and always enjoyed the catch of the day! Breakfast was buffet style, scrambled eggs, sausage&bacon, beans, toast, cereal,and lots of fresh fruit.
There are lots of positive things about this hotel, great staff, excellent food and dining service was just first class. The views of the ocean are breathtaking & make for a perfect ambience. We have been to Tobago before and stayed at a very expensive overrated hotel& I can honestly say Grafton Beach Hotel were far superior on many points.
However there are a few negatives such as the rooms need to be refurbished, which will be underway in winter 2013. Also the pool and beach areas are in need of some parasols and some new sun loungers, because it can get very hot in the sun. Apart from these issues this could potentially be a a returning holiday for us.
I also had no problem at all with the wifi which is available in all the public areas of the hotel, as I like to keep up to pace with news from home.
So there you go folks, I have tried to give a basic but honest review of my time spent at this hotel. I had a fabulous but restful stay here and would have no problem returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 320 has fantastic ocean views
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank missfi11
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Our stay at Grafton was unpleasant and unfortunately negatively affected our memories of Tobago. That's the power of hotels, they can make or break your travel experience.

When we arrive in Tobago, our rooms weren't ready and we had to wait in the outdoor lobby for hours. You would think that management would offer us free cocktails or even a glass of water while we waited in the sun for our room. When our room was finally ready, we had to lug our heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs as there were no elevators of bellhops to assist.

The rooms were sub par, dingy and outdated. I was repulsed at the fact I had to spend three nights here. The tub had permanent stains (no shower mat was provided), iron board was ripped and the balcony door could not close properly thus letting in ants and mosquitoes.

As soon as we put our stuff down, we went downstairs to have the front office call us a cab (as they instructed in the welcome letter provided). The staff was absolutely horrible. They didn't have a list of taxi companies we could use and the office phone could not dial out certain numbers. We had walk around the lobby until we got internet access (shotty wifi) to purchase skype credits for we could make phone calls.

The only positive reviews I have for this hotel is that the views of the water were beautiful and it was right next door to the Seahorse Inn Restaurant & Bar where we had an excellent candle light dinner the last night.

Other than that, I would strongly recommend avoiding at all costs. The rooms are disgusting, staff sub-par and the actual location of the hotel is far from main attractions - so if you don't have a rental this can be very inconvenient.

Room Tip: Avoid Grafton. If you want to stay in this area, try Le Grand Courlan or the Seahorse Inn.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yve003
Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Breakfast was Buffet so you choose how much you eat and what you eat. Kids Pool and Adult pools. Squash Courts and Beach Areas. Restaurant on beach forefront. Mini mart and fast food outlets were within walking distance as well as other villas. Came for Republic Holiday in September 2012 last year. Got Taxi Service to go back to the port on time...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tra25vel
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I must say, before going to this resort I read several reviews and was very doubtful but seeing is believing.I was totally impressed by the ambience ,service ,accomodation and hospitality of this resort.Samantha the hostess at the restaurant was very friendly and helpful.Everywhere you can see the true wonder and magnificence of nature.I am truly Grateful for such an experience gained for myself and my family at Grafton and in Tobago as well.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the children's pool as well as Stonehaven bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,467 reviews

Been to Grafton Beach Resort? Share your experiences!