“Best Time Ever '2012'”

Ranked #2 of 3 Black Rock B&B and Inns
San Fernando, Trinidad
“Best Time Ever '2012'”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

"Oh my God" i don't know where to start, it was the very 1st time my husband and i ever been to Tobago since we are adults it was just once or twice when we were little and the 1st time we left Trinidad. This was for our Honeymoon which was in September, we had a lovely special.Just driving up the hill to the reception area was bliss full, what a wonderful view from the restaurant, the staff was very nice, from checking in, then to the bar,the rum punch was the bomb, oh and our flying bartender he was so sweet although he was drinking more than us, and drinking big to ehh 'hennessy-straight', that bird just added to the villas welcomeness. Driving further up to our Villa num:8 THE RAVEN WAS BREATHTAKING coming out of our car and the sweet breeze that greeted us made us both stretched out and received it, that felt best.Entering the villa made us both feel like royalty ,the pool was to die for, the garden surrounded the villa was fabulous, our outside guests the birds were great ,they even posed for a few pictures.As the day cooled into the night,my my my the sunset was BREATH........TAKING AWAY, it made a perfect ended evening each day that we was there. the bedrooms, the kitchen,the balconies from both bedrooms upstairs wonderful view, the bathrooms they were all well kept, every part of that villa was up to mark(i wish my house could be like it).Our housekeeper was so kind and friendly she did a great job with our stuff, our chef who cooked for us (felt like taking you home with us)was best.I WOULD RECOMMEND THE VILLAS AT STONEHAVEN to anyone and of course we will be back to this Fabulous place we called home away from home.

Room Tip: The Villas itself is Breathtaking you will sure to forget your worries and just relax.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MrsCordner01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We have just returned from a fabulous stay at Stonehaven Villas. It was our 5th time there, but this time was special, as we had a group of friends coming over from another country to celebrate a special birthday. We rented two villas for the whole group to stay in.
The villas are beautiful and the fact that they have a private swimming pool with a view of the sea makes them very special. The verandah is my favourite part of the villas, there is enough room for different groups of people to be doing different things at the same time and it doesn't matter if it rains, as you can be there in any kind of weather.
We love the fact that a chef can come and prepare your meals at the villas. The meal price is excellent (U$50 plus ingredients) and Michelle, the chef, is a lovely person and prepares delicious meals, taking into consideration all your requirements. You just sit in your verandah, enjoy a drink with your friends or play a board game (included in the villa) with your kids and she gets the whole meal ready for you. Beter than any restaurant, in my opinion.
We always stay in the Tanager villa because we love our attendant, Rachel. She keeps the villa in an excellent condition and is very quick to solve any problem that arises. She is great with kids and our daughter looks forward to getting to Stonehaven just to sit with her and talk about dolls and teddy bears. However, my friends stayed in another villa, and the standard of service was not as good, as, for example, some of the beds were not made on one of the days, and their shampoo and soap were not replaced. They were not big problems that would spoil your holiday in any way, but I would still like to make the point that service could vary and I am basing my review mainly on the Tanager villa.
Internet connection is still a problem, we didn't have access to it in the villa at any point, and we had to go to reception to use it. I have heard, however, that they are in the process of improving this situation.
We usually rent a car but this time we were too many people for that, and we asked the villas to provide that service. They sent us a driver called Ram who picked us up from the airport and then took us to different beaches and places we wanted to see on the island. He was punctual, friendly, and extremely patient with us, and I can recommend him wholeheartedly.
Another recommendation I would make is to double-check the arrangements you make if you are planning an event. We had made some arrangements for a birthday dinner celebration and I got very stressed to arrive to the restaurant and find out that it had been forgotten. However, the restaurant staff were extremely efficient and they managed to make last minute arrangements to solve every problem and fulfil my requests. I don't think my guests would ever have noticed the problem if I had not told them, because in the end everything arrived on time and just like we expected it.
My advice is: don't let minor details stop you from enjoying this wonderful place. Having stayed in other places of a similar category/price level on previous trips to the island, I believe this is the best accommodation available in Tobago.

Room Tip: We love the housekeeper in Villa 8, she is very efficient, very kind, and our daughter always looks...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 October 2012

By far the most expensive place I ever stayed in...but he... that is the Caribbean. It is beautiful, quiet, etc. All the other reviews are correct. But....for such a price I would expect perfection. And it is not perfect. WIFI in the bungalows is very (!) slow....my internet telephone connection from 20 years ago was faster! No television signal in the bedrooms. Light cover with stains/marks. Wall with marks. Dangerous broken powerplug of a hairdryer. Plastic cups. No decent forks. And the restaurant ....well....that is average quality.

Otherwise....a very peaceful place....and one of the better places to stay on the island. Perhaps the best place. Just fix the little details please.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BA_Uk
Stonehav, General Manager at The Villas at Stonehaven, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Good day and thank you for your reply and feedback. We are in the process of updating our wi-fi system to have individual wireless routers in every villa. This will boost the power of the signal and give better bandwidth, over the existing shared system. We would like to rectify all of the concerns that you mentioned. Please feel free to contact me through stonehav@tstt.net.tt, and give me what villa you stayed in and we will rectify immediately. Our goal is as always to give you the best possible experience and we would love to make it up to you. Keep smiling and we look forward to hearing from you.
Duane Kenny
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Visited the Island of Tobago and the Villas at Stonehaven. The views from this hotel are almost holistic. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. You are on a hill overlooking the bay, and surrounded by fauna and flora.
What stands out the most is the hospitality and welcome. You are instantly treated as a valued member of the family. The General Manager Duane Kenny could teach some of the high end 5 star properties a thing or two about hospitality.
Clean, efficiently run, picturesque, great vista, beautifully furnished villas..all geared to total relaxation and love. Perfect place for a romantic jaunt, wedding or honeymoon.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jacqueline093
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We had Cottage #2 towards the bottom of the steep property, which had an amazing view of the ocean and a mesmerizing view of the sunset that consistently left me scrambling to find my camera. There was a 10-minute window each evening where we sat in silence watching the sun go down from our infinity pool. Our housekeeper cooked awesome meals, treated us like family, and was very helpful in recommending places to explore. The rooms were slightly dated, but everything was very clean and the service was very good. Our room had some nighttime visitors (aka lizards) that found their way in, but they were harmless. Mango trees, star fruit trees, and coconut trees surrounded our cottage, which meant we enjoyed fresh mangoes anytime we wanted them. The property was gated with a security guard, so we always felt safe. Plus, there were several good places for dining around the island, but we enjoyed going to the grocery store and buying some steaks and grilling at the cottage a couple evenings.

The closest beach was less than a 2-minute drive. On one hand, none of the beaches we found on Tobago were spectacular. On the other hand, the snorkeling was incredible near Black Rock. (I felt like I was swimming in someone's private aquarium.) If you're pretty adventurous, then rent a vehicle, drive on the left-hand side of the road, and explore the small island's tropical + mountainous scenery. We hired a guide and hiked to one of the waterfalls and then went swimming, which was a great day-trip. Side note: the roads are ridiculously curvy and aren't for the weak-stomached. Nevertheless, the entire experience was amazing! Truly. Amazing.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bridges42
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is, hands down, the best place I have ever stayed in Tobago. The price is reasonable, the villa is exquisite - furnishings, layout, everything is perfect. Our housekeeper, Lystra, was a doll, and does mean scrambled eggs and pancakes. I intend to make this an annual vacation. We never left the Villa - ate, read, slept, swam, repeat.... cannot recommend stonehaven highly enough! Thanks also to Denise. We missed out on the complimentary food basket though...The room delivery from the restaurant was quick and professional, not smiley but courteous. - which I don't mind because I enjoy how proud Tobagonians are. The food is great.

Room Tip: The further up the hill you go the quieter the room. Try for the villas on the left side of the road...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2012

no need to bring anything except your swim suit and yourself! superb service! prompt and friendly response for any needs! AMAZING views! More than ample space! out of this world amenities!!! daily housekeeper was just a doll!!! the aesthetic appeal of the grounds and architecture, the furnishings, EVERYTHING, was just fantastic! my list of great things to say about Stonehaven is never ending. just book it and come enjoy paradise!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to The Villas at Stonehaven? Share your experiences!