Absolutely stunning villas and easily the best holiday accommodations I have ever stayed in. After Stonehaven I will never go back to any of the big resorts as I have learned a whole new way to vacation.
We went in the off-season, so the price for 6 adults and 2 children in one of these villas was only US$600/night. For that price you get a cramped standard room in a five-star hotel in Waikiki (Hawaii), but in Tobago at Stonehaven this meant a luxury 3700 sq. foot villa built on a hill with outstanding ocean views. They were desinged by some famous Swedish architect in a neo-colonial style and you can tell that everything here was chosen carefully for the quality and aesthetics not economy. Even with 8 people the villa did not at all feel cramped. There are 4 air conditioned bedrooms each with their own full bathroom (3 of them were some of the largest bathrooms I have ever seen), a full modern kitchen, a huge beautiful covered veranda with dining table, seating and reclining chairs, private infinity pool!, large living room with satellite TV, three balconies (two of which with full ocean views), individual maid service from 9am-2pm every day and a reception staff that catered to your every need. There are only 14 villas on the property and they have skillfully planned it so that each villa is located in a manner to maximize privacy with respect to the other villas. I feel the need to reiterate the stunning, unobstructed ocean views from the bedrooms, veranda and private pool. There is nothing quite like whiling away in a pool that seems to drop off forever while looking down and away at a never ending ocean. From almost every angle one had a panoramic view of some of the most calm sea I have ever witnessed. There were no white-caps, just a smooth, never-ending horizon of glass-like water. Every evening we dined on the outdoor veranda while watching a beautiful sunset and at night we were treated to a great view of the stars. Unlike in certain resort-filled areas, Tobago still has a relatively undeveloped tourist sector and Stonehaven is as quiet and tranquil as any rural community.
Perhaps the only small complaint I have is with the service. Though the service at reception was quite helpful, very friendly and efficient, I cannot say the same for the restaurant and the maid. The restaurant had quite a slow pace (which isn't actually a problem when on holiday in the Caribbean) but the servers were pretty aloof and barely cracked a smile. We did not find our maid particularly friendly either and really was the only thing I feel compelled to write truly negatively about. She seemed to grumble if we requested she cook for us even though its explicitly stated everywhere that this is part of her duties, would often not heed a request saying she was "busy" doing something else and worst of all we noticed some toiletries missing near the end of our stay.
All in all: unique and fabulous villas for the price of an average hotel room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a hillside with spectacular ocean views on the west coast of Tobago, The Villas at Stonehaven is one of the finest luxury resorts in the Caribbean. The resort is an exquisite collection of elegantly appointed three and four bedroom Villas set in ten acres of beautifully landscaped tropical gardens. Villa amenities include spacious indoor and outdoor living & dining areas; private infinity pool and spectacular ocean views. Your own daily personal housekeeper attends to your needs and will cook delicious meals on request. Villas are immaculately furnished and feature large air-conditioned bedrooms with en-suites, full kitchens, barbeque areas and ample dining and living space. The accommodation makes for the ideal choice for couples seeking a romantic retreat; families requiring a holiday home, or groups of friends wanting their own space and independence.By day, indulge in an in-room spa service, visit the nearby beach or explore the delights of Tobago. Evenings begin with a sun-downer complete with spectacular sunsets, to be enjoyed on your private terrace or mingling with other guests poolside at the Clubhouse bar and pool.The Pavilion Restaurant, open for lunch and dinner serves delicious Caribbean and Continental Cuisine and also offers room service.The unique setting of this luxurious boutique resort also provides an unforgettable venue for weddings, small conferences and other special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Villas at Stonehaven reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Villas At Stonehaven Hotel Black Rock
- The Villas At Stonehaven Tobago, Trinidad And Tobago