“A very special place.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carpe Diem Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castara
Carpe Diem Villa
GreenLeadersGold level
Berkshire
“A very special place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent a week in one of the studios at Carpe Diem in early March having spent the previous week in Barbados. If you want 5 star luxury and international cuisine with prices to match - choose the former, if you want genuine friendly locals in a real fishing village, delicious fresh Caribbean food, laid back, helpful and friendly hosts and up close and personal wildlife experiences choose Carpe Diem. We love the sun and although the dry season was wetter than we expected the rain did not detract from enjoyment of one of our best holidays. Although not normally ones to socialise much with other tourists, the people at Carpe Diem were all looking for the same thing so we all got on very well and enjoyed one another's company. Chris and Yvonne have got it just right - thanks so much guys. Hope to see you at the pub in Salisbury soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We spent two weeks in a studio at Carpe Diem and appreciated the novelty of staying in a place that reminded us of a tree house. We spent most of our time on the balcony enjoying the view, wild life and unique soundtrack of Castara. We loved sitting watching the visiting birds and made a point of putting out bread, fruit and sugar water to encourage them. The daily challange of the 'chicken shooing' became part of our holiday routine. The studio is clean and well stocked, we didn't use the cooking facilities a lot as we wanted a break from chores and found that the local restaurants and bar provided lovely meals and no washing up! Chris and Yvonne were friendly and happy to provide help or information. They arranged a great boat trip with Loady who took us fishing, snorkelling, for a beach BBQ and then to the Nylon Pool (my favourite) we then all went on to the Boat House for a night of Limbo and Drums. All this was shared with our fellow house guests, we had a brilliant day and night and at the end of it were firm friends! Didn't do much the next day though! We hired a car for about 4 days and drove around the island which was a worthwhile experience. At the beginning of the holiday Yvonne arranged for a local driver Denzil to pick us up from the airport and to wait while we stocked up at a supermarket, we were then able to shop at the Castara stores for the rest of the holiday. It is worth getting TT dollars before you get to Castara as the local ATM does not always have money but on the plus side the internet service is brilliant - better than in our village 30 miles outside of London! Denzil also ensured that we were back at the airport to catch our flight home.
This holiday was a little 'oasis' of calm in our very busy lives, Castara is a fishing village with a 'non-touristy' feel but the locals are friendly and polite. They do their best to provide good service without being pushy. The food is tasty and fresh, local facilities are very clean and well looked after and the local business people treat you with respect and a degree of trust that you don't often find in the UK and Europe. Add in the quirky wildlife and local dogs who curl up for a sleep in the road while cars steer carefully around them and you have a very unique and relaxing break which you appreciate all the more when you come home, unpack, look at your photos then dive back into real life, Thanks for a brilliant time Chris, Yvonne and Castara and the people we shared our holiday experience with.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberley C
North of Here
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

There are a lot of reasons for taking a “trip of a lifetime”. In our case it was the end of a maternity leave period.

The decision to travel 4,500 miles with a thirteen year-old and a 10 month old baby might seem a strange one to some, but when you choose a place like Carpe Diem in Castara it becomes about the best decision you’ve ever made.

I don’t remember imagining that we’d feel sick on arrival and heart-broken on departure; but we did: Sick with jealousy and heart-broken to leave. The single best holiday we have ever had; and we’re not inexperienced travellers.

Carpe Diem was exactly as we’d imagined it, except more so. Our opening remarks to Chris were that we were already green with envy (nearly as green as the gardens) and that we already hated him! That bit wasn’t true (we’ll come back to that).

The view is stunning. The few minutes’ walk into the village and on to the beach is shorter than we expected. The balcony is right in the garden (there is a Papaya tree within yards – we ate some!) and within minutes we were seeing Tanagers, Mot Mots, Cocricro, Ant Shrikes, Humming Birds and more. We had visits from red squirrels, lizards, butterflies, and at one point one of Tobago’s non-venomous snakes.

The apartments are immaculately kept and everything you could want is available in them.
Castara is an absolute dream. A genuine Caribbean paradise of a village. Very few tourists - very few villagers! - and a working fishing village. You will want to do a supermarket shop on your way there though – the shops are a bit limited. But the fresh bread and cakes from the outdoor oven are a real treat.

We had the great big glorious beach to ourselves more or less for the week and a half we were there. We met so many great people but somehow they melt away when it comes to being on the sand. No bothersome chair vendors or anything vendors; just you, the (brilliant) sand and the waves.

We helped pull in the seine nets (and earned five greenback fish as a result which Splish Splosh came and cooked for us in a Caribbean style for a very small fee and his lunch). We snorkelled. We ate good food. We visited the rain forest. We went out on a boat trip with Chris and Yvonne, and some of their other guests and former guests and locals, and we had a BBQ on the beach, and rum punch in the Nylon Pond.

Chris and Yvonne are just brilliant. It’s not usual to leave having made good friends with the landlords, but I really believe we did. They are just great people. They give good advice on what to do; they lend you books and bus tickets, take you on boat trips, make you laugh, let you use the internet, and generally have about as fantastic a house and lifestyle as you could reasonably long for!

Within a few hours of arrival Chris had brought us a book about Tobago’s history; La Magdalena: The Story of Tobago. Magdalena is the island’s original name, and Chris had been delighted to find it to be the name of our daughter too. We hadn’t known that, but in that moment we knew everything was just right.

Leaving Castara was really hard, partly because it’s stupidly beautiful, partly because it’s gloriously sunny, partly because the food is pretty good and the pace of life is ideal, and partly because there is just enough of everything and just enough of nothing to do. But mainly because we made a lot of good friends; most of all Chris (the Prof!) and Yvonne.

You will not be disappointed to have chosen here; you will be heart-broken to leave.

Room Tip: The rooms are all stunning. Great value, great views, great people!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Support and service:

I choosed the place because of the beautyful view and the recommendations here at tripadvisor.
And what else can I say, that I found it to be true. First of all Yvonne supported me from the very first contact with quick responses, a car to pick me up from the hotel and informations about what and where to do in the first days. And that is exactly how it continued with Dorris and Denzel the Housekeepers: When you needed something, they were friendly and helped you to get quickly what you need( for example a cellphone or gas). Again thank you Yvonne, Dorris and Denzel

Room:
The room looked exactly like it looks on the pictures! The view from the balcony is amazing and falling asleep with the sound of the waves as well as waking up with the singing of the birds was more than overwhelming for me.

Relaxing, eating and drinking in town:
The town offered more than I expected, because in fact you can reach every place that is importent for a tourist in max. 10 minutes.
The beaches are about five minutes walking from the Villa and the restaurants as well. I preferred the little bay, because the water is very calm there and the view made me feel like I was in paradise. Especially at night when the moon comes out it is wonderful.

My favorite breakfast was cocoabake at the Coffeshop. I loved their rumpunch, too, which they serve in the evening/night.
I ate at several places and would recomend each of it for it speacial dishes: I really liked the spicy and tasty fish (and the shrimps) at the beach restaurant near the suncist supermarket. Veras -also at the beach- offers roti, never ate it before and liked it. At Shirmas bar you can get good barbecue. At Marguerites I liked the crab and dumplin (?), the soße was delicous.
In the evening or night I went to the boathouse where they offer music,drinks and sometimes drumplaying and dancing .
When I needed groceries I usually found it in one of the small shops, one of them -you find it on the way to little bay-sold mostly fresh fruits and vegetables.

People:
Travelling alone as a young women, who just wanted to relax and read, I was worried at first. But I have to say, that the people did not bother me, when I wanted to be alone. The were friendly, helpful and I was treated in an respectful way, so that I really felt comfortable and safe all the time.
This was the best about my trip, so that I will come back to castara.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ra G
New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My friend and I recently visited both Trinidad and Tobago over Carnival. We didn't have the best accomodations in Trinidad so we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived in Tobago and realized where we were staying! The house is set into the hillside- surrounded by lush green vegetation, beautiful birds and the most amazing view of Castara Bay. Chris and Yvonne are extremely hospitable and friendly and by the end of our stay we felt like family.
If you are looking for a place where you feel like time stands still, I highly recommend Carpe Diem. You won't want to leave! Or, like my friend and I, you will be planning your next visit to Castara as soon as you get home.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I love it here and will be back if Chris and Yvonne will have me! They are such lovely people and have a lovely place to stay. We stayed in the Green Room which had a large bathroom and opened to a giant deck. The view is the best in the area and the sunsets are unreal. Wild birds sit near you and eat any birdfood left for them. Banana trees hang over the walk way. The people of the little villiage are friendly and welcoming. I am so glad my friend and I happened to stay in Castara as opposed to the more bustling areas. The beach is a five minute walk, if that.

Chris and Yvonne helped us arrange transportation and also entertainment during our stay. Their tips on where to eat and what to do were greatly appreciated. They really went out of their way to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. I recommend 100 percent.

Jenny Brooklyn, NY

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Tucked away in the hillside overlooking the bays of castara, carpe diem provides fabulous views in a lush tropical setting. The studio we stayed in was tastefully and thoughtfully furnished and well equipped, especially if you like to cook during your stay. The owners,Chris and Yvonne were really friendly and helpful, as were the local staff, Denzil and Doris. If you are looking for a Tobagan experience that takes you away from the resorts and guest houses clustered around Crown Point, and you value your independence too, then you're unlikely to find anything better than this gem of a place Martin & Sigrun, Feb, 2012

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castara
Naturalist Beach Resort
#7 of 11 in Castara
The Villas at Stonehaven
The Villas at Stonehaven
#2 of 3 in Black Rock

Been to Carpe Diem Villa? Share your experiences!