“good roti”

Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: D'Almond Tree Restaurant is 100% locally owned.Situated adjacent to the beach in big bay Castara, we are open for dinner ONLY at 6:30pm from Monday to Saturday.No alcoholic beverages are sold.However we allow our guest to bring along there own wine or beer.
Reviewed 6 March 2013

had rori for lunch twice, very good. very friendly waitress ihd fish one day and chicken the next. it comes with lentils in a source and squash there are chickens adjacent to it on the beach soft drinks are very reasonable it does not sel alcohol

mariska f, Owner at D'Almond Tree Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thanks Mike, Glad you enjoyed our roti, we are famously know for the best roti in town.
We are not licensed to sell alcohol , but we allow our customers to bring in their own.Thanks again for your review!!!
Hope to see you again on your next visit to Castara. Cheers :)

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Lovely food and particularly good service from Maroushka, the proprietor's daughter, who is very friendly and informative and knows a thing or two about food! Fresh fish from the grill, lovely local salads, delicious roti. The location is perfect right on the beach. C&E x

mariska f, Owner at D'Almond Tree Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Thank you Chis and Emma, It was a pleasure meeting you guys. I enjoyed cooking for you guys.
Thanks for supporting me almost everyday while you guys were staying in Castara. I really appreciate it. Miss you guys loadsssss. See you soon. Take care until we meet again :)

Reviewed 18 February 2013

perfect setting for this unpretentious little cafe. good food good value in lovely Castara Bay. do not miss it

mariska f, Owner at D'Almond Tree Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thanks Susan, glad you enjoyed our food, hope to see you in Castara soon. Cheers.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We have been regular visitors to Castara since 2005, and D'Almond Tree is our favourite spot for a relaxing meal and friendly chat with the owners, Vera and Christmas Fraser, and their daughter, Mariska. D"Almond Tree is an open-air restaurant located right on the beach. It is named for the huge and ancient almond tree that rises in front of the restaurant. The menu is simple, delicious and lovingly prepared. It always includes fresh fish -- literally the catch of the day -- grilled with a sprinkle of pepper and salt and maybe a squeeze of lime juice -- absolutely delicious! While the restaurant is not licensed, you are welcome to bring your own beer or wine.

We also often go for the lunchtime rotis, a Trinidad and Tobago specialty that involves vegetables, chick peas and sometimes chicken or mutton, in a spicy curry sauce, wrapped in a thin bread shell. Vera makes a fabulous hot sauce which adds that Trini zing ... of course, the hot sauce is not for the timid and is optional!

Sometimes, if you are fortunate, Vera makes a traditional Tobago breakfast ... don't miss this! We are heading back to Castara in a week, and as always, our first night will feature dinner at D'Almond Tree. Can hardly wait!

mariska f, Owner at D'Almond Tree Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2013

Many thanks to the Powells :) i feel like i've known you guys forever. You guys have always showed us your love, support and kindness.
Many thanks to you guys and see you next week :)

Reviewed 9 February 2013

To tell the truth: not one single day in Castara I went somewhere else. After I had been there the first night I knew that I never could go somewhere else. The food was spectacular - and I'm very choicy because in my hometown Cologne I'm surrounded by very good restaurants. I had dumplings made of breadfruit and spinach, fried bananas as a side-dish, crabs, fish, vegetarian - each time fresh and delicious and in a lot of cases food I had never had before and had to ask what all these fantastic ingredients could be. Very often back home I dream about coming back and eat more and more and more....
Of course the waitress is also world-best and the view to the ocean can't be beaten!

Thank you Vera, It was a pleasure serving you for the 10 days you were in Castara. I appreciate your love and support. See you soon . Cheers :)