“Absolutely Breathtaking!”

Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: View
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Open daily from 11am-10pm. For reservations call 766-1010. Castara Retreats Scenic Restaurant with spectacular views of the beach and ocean, on our terraced pavilion deck. We offer a range of home-made foods from fresh fish and quality steak to hand-made ravioli and interesting vegetarian options. We offer a choice of inventive starters including fishcakes, salads and chilled soups, and popular desserts such as chocolate mousse and passionfruit cheesecake. We have a range of cocktails, cold beers, fine wines, Italian coffees, and home-made juices. Our restaurant is rapidly gaining a reputation for good food and a warm welcome where guests can take a break, eat and drink, take in the spectacular views and sunsets and observe the wonderful hummingbirds as they display on our feeders.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My Husband and I wanted to go somewhere spectacular for our anniversary. After reading the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided that this would be a great choice. It's about 45 minutes from Scarborough but once you arrive, the view of Castara Bay is absolutely stunning! Kenny greeted us and we were seated just in time to get the last view of the sunset. The menu options are small but trust me when I say the food is super delicious. We had the ravioli and crab cakes as our starters. These went well with the house wine, Pinot Grigio. We both decided to have the fish of the day which was Mahi Mahi for the main course. The fish was served with mixed vegetables and roasted sweet potatoes. As soon as I took my first bit I was like Wow! The flavors all complimented each other and were definitely interesting. My Husband loved the fish and he's so picky! I should mention that the potion sizes are generous as well. We then had the chocolate mousse which was a perfect ending to our evening. I highly recommend Castara Retreats restaurant and we'll definitely be visiting this wonderful place again when we're next visiting Tobago.

1  Thank Nadine_Bev
There are newer reviews for Caribbean Kitchen at Castara Retreats

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The restaurant has an ambitious and varied menu, including some great 'raw' items. Their desserts are legendary!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

So lovely we went 3 times in one week, food was gorgeous, vibe was perfect and the view was stunning. Such a friendly place with a great rum list.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Very scenic great location. More importantly food is tasty. Worth a visit when we return to Tobago. Not the largest menu, but once everything is well done, it doesn't need to be.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Castara Retreats was one of the few (only 1 of 2) restaurants open for dinner during our stay in Castara (it was low season, so not many places open and few choices).

The food was great, but I would not say excellent as I've been spoiled by living in the city all my life (Canadian opinion here) and travelling around the world quite a bit. If you are a foodie, then this review will be relevant.

Castara Retreats serves up a variety of dishes from Italian pastas to steak and fish. The best and most local dish was fish, since it's fresh from the boat and seasoned well. I found the pastas to be slightly undercooked (did not try the steak).

If you are craving local food, then this place is not for you (try D'Almond Tree restaurant on the beach). However, the restaurant is high up on a hill (wear mosquito spray at night, its buggy), has a beautiful (I might add clean and well maintained) ambience and great view of the ocean.

Service is excellent and the owner prepares GREAT mixed drinks. Perfect place to grab drinks, relax (even laze around) and catch the sunset. Mind you, it's slightly more expensive, but it's worth it for the service and ambience.

KennyCastara, Owner at Caribbean Kitchen at Castara Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We appreciate Diane’s considered review. Reviews take time and it’s nice that people take the trouble. As Diane observes we keep our restaurant open in the low season which we feel is important so that visitors coming in the quiet months receive the same service and options as the high season. In this way, over a few years, we hope to play our part in developing a twelve month season. This year we had our best June, the ocean was calm most of the month, and we had lots of sun as well as much needed rain.

We are pleased that she enjoyed our fish which fresh each day and is vacuum-sealed as soon as it arrives. We do not have a micro-wave, so everything is freshly made, and where possible we source organic. We are really pleased to offer organic chicken for instance.

I’m not sure about Diane’s observation about the pasta being slightly undercooked. Our chef is Italian and the pasta is home-made and we aim to serve it al dente. I would not know, given that Diane did not bring it to our attention that evening, whether it was indeed slightly undercooked, or whether it as we intended, which al dente. I imagine that she did not want to fuss given that she was happy enough, but we would encourage any readers to let us know if anything is not spot on, and we would happily change it.