“An apt place to enjoy the paradise”

Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Beau Vallon
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We, a family of 04 including an infant stayed at Berjaya for a week in end Apr 14. While the location of the hotel undisputedly is the best, what remains etched in our minds is the manner in which we were made comfortable by the entire hotel staff (including the GM, Mr. Gulab Rai!).Well, to begin with, it took just 5 mins for us to check in, another -7 mins for our luggage to arrive at the Chalet........having moved into an already made up room, it was just a matter of time for my kids to indulge into a week long frenzy of beach combing and paddling in the pool.......quite relentlessly for hours together with occasional hunger satiating breaks at the poolside pizzeria:) the entire team came across as a highly motivated one led from front by an extremely driven and compassionate GM.....and i believe that the word has gotten around as a result of which we saw more than a couple top level conferences being held whist there.....our request for a delayed check out was quite willingly heeded to..........we stayed at the chalets and did not face any nuisance because of the construction on the other side............but seriously, unless you're from Antartica or Sub-Saharan Africa, uninhibited sporadic construction will continue staring you down for ages to come:) We hired a car from the hotel itself and found the deal quite good.......on more than one occasion, we asked the housekeeping to clean up our bathrooms, raided by muddy children of mine:) and this too was done in no time........the evenings were fun with the inhouse djs belting out refreshing numbers.......Mr Prem Singh, a security guard from Nepal, came up with some interesting facts on Seychelles and Berjaya and seemed highly motivated by the top management in charge......i would certainly recommend this hotel to all those who dream of nestling themselves in the lap of mother nature (read beach/ palms) with their loved ones including children...........it's a completely hassle free resort..............KUdos Mr Gulaab Rai, Mr Maanoj Nair (head of sales)...........great job/ God bless

Room Tip: Go for the Chalets
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank prats2203
Write a ReviewReviews (1,977)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had always wanted to go to the Seychelles ever since I was young and as I had recently gotten married, I had chosen this country in which to have our honeymoon. Unfortunately I had chosen Berjaya in which to stay while enjoying the country.

I had booked the hotel from Australia and it was done before we were married, so naturally I booked the honeymoon suite through our travel agent. On arriving at the hotel, there was a major drama in getting the room we booked. As I had never been married before I was unaware that we needed to bring our marriage certificate with us in order to qualify for the honeymoon suite. How many people actually travel with this instead of leaving it somewhere safe?

Anyway we were made to wait at reception for hours while they found another room for us, however the most distressing part of it all was they just didn't seem to care. The overall dismissiveness of the staff was unbelievable, and that attitude carried on for the entire length of our stay. They were determined to not give us the honeymoon suite for even one night! For the money that I had paid for our accommodation I had expected much better treatment. I was at a loss to find even one member of reception staff that ever showed any empathy to us at all. For a while we thought we may need to go elsewhere, in retrospect, maybe we should have.

While eventually we were given a room, it was just a standard room and a honeymoon is supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience, yet for me it was ruined. To make matters worse, their own website allows you to book the honeymoon suite, yet there is no information or warning, (or at least not then) provided to remind customers to bring proof that you're indeed newly married.

The cleanliness of the main areas was substandard. The corridor outside our room showed the same bits of garbage for days, despite the daily mopping. So all they do when they "clean" is move the dirt around instead of removing it.

The pool area is nice, and it's right on the beach, which is awesome, but the service was a huge letdown. One restaurant had opened it doors so we walked in and sat down and waited for service. 15 minutes later someone came and told us that they weren't actually opened yet, however there was no indication of that and they didn't even apologise for wasting our time.

I filled out their comment card at reception when we checked out and handed this to the staff, yet never received any reply even though I gave them my e-mail address. I also e-mailed the hotel direct and pointed out their lack of service and still never received any reply. They can't even be bothered to apologise for the way we were treated. Even if they think they've done nothing wrong, the fact remains that we were unsatisfied, so can an apology do any harm?

Word of advice to all. this hotel DOES NOT CARE about it's customers. The Seychelles is a fantastic place to visit, but at this hotel the staff treat people like dogs. Pick any other hotel to stay in, there are plenty of hotels right on the beach just the same as this one is and the only way Berjaya will improve is if people vote with their feet and stay elsewhere. I'll never stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're a newly-wed on honeymoon, whatever you do take a copy of your certificate and avoid th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FelixMercury
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed in the hotel several times for the last two years (not by choice).
The only part renewed is the bath room and some ceiling lights.
The rest of the hotel is run down and personnel lacks of the service spirit.

Its quite expensive and internet constantly drops. (Specially if you are a business traveler, it is an issue).
What its fantastic is the location. Is at the beaubalon beach. Just there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HenryAbel
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The worst hotel I ever visit in my life. Substandard quality of the hotel and services, impolite and inadequate staff, unprofessional management. In detail:
1) we (three families with 6 children) arrived in the hotel at 9.30, they told us they would have done their best to assign us our rooms before the check-in time (12.00), they gave us the first rooms around 14.00;
2) because of the young children, in the moment we booked the rooms (almost 6 months before) we asked for connecting rooms, but two couple of rooms were not connecting rooms. They solved the mistake for one of the family but, around 4 pm they recognized they were not able to do it with regard to the other family. So they told us that one of the two nights would have been free for the family which had not connecting rooms ... on the departure date they told us that the "discount" would have been the cost of one of the two rooms for one night and not the cost of one night for the family (i.e. the cost of the two rooms for one night);
3) we had to go to the reception to pick-up our luggages since, 5 ours after our arrival in the hotel, they were still at the reception (quite far from our rooms);
4) in the meanwhile we were waiting, we or there'd 4 espresso. They brought us the espresso in "only" 30 minutes;
5) we had to leave the windows opened for the whole day because of the smell in the rooms;
6) at night we chose for one of the three restaurants of the hotel, they told us we could've go there since we should have asked for coupons to the reception in the morning ... no one told this to us;
7) at lunch time, at the pizzeria restaurant, it took almost one our to have two hamburgers, the day after more than one hour to have two Caesar salads and a pizza;
8) when I checked out, they gave me the bill in rupees, in USD and in Euro. The cashier asked me to choose the currency for the payment. I choose Rupees. When I gave to the cashier my American Express, she told me that the credit card machine didn't accept the payment in Rupees. I checked the exchange ratio with Euro and it was 15.24 Rupees per Euro instead of almost 16.5 applied in the exchange offices in town and at the airport. When I insisted to pay in Euro she told me we would have accepted the payment in Rupees should I have used my Visa card. This is approach worse than incorrect, it is dishonest. I obviously notified the approach to American Express;
9) the reaction of the staff to our complains was laughing, not answering, turning their shoulder and going away.
On our way back to Italy we met other guests of the hotel: same treatment, same complaints, same reaction.
Simply unbelievable.

Room Tip: Just avoid to use this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Franz D
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I spent two nights there, on a business trip.But since I have been toe Seychelles a year ago, on leisure, I had a scale to compare, and it doesn't do good to the Berjaya hotel. Except for the beautiful beach, many of the amenities and services were quiet disappointing for a hotel charging you $200 for HB.
The rooms are very basically furnished, with cheap-looking wood. There are no carpets, but bare floor. The bathroom illumination is very poor- only 3 low-intensity bulbs. The air-conditioning is very effective and they provide you with complementary 2 bottles of 0/5lt still water. The rooms we had were on the 2nd floor, which actually was 3rd, because you had to climb two stair-ways with no lift available.
When I first entered the room, there was a heavy odor of cigarette smoke. I asked to be transferred to another room, and lucky enough, they we re not fully booked so I was able to get a room without this terrible smell. But they don't have any "non smoking" signs on the room doors, so I can't blame the previous guest(s), beside they're being inconsiderate, but the hotel.
The food in the hotel is the weakest point there: the buffet dinner was disappointing from the point of view of taste- it has a variety of dishes, but none was something to write home about.On the second evening we tried the Pizzeria- almost same menu as the buffet... you would expect many pasta and pizza dishes, but they had there curry(...) and many non-Italian dishes. But even the pizza we ordered had too much sauce, which felt is if it was taken out of a can, and we all left more than half in the plate.
Even the breakfast, which is something hard to spoil, was less than what i'd expect. They had an omelette corner, but aside from this, regular things were missing: no Orange juice (only mango & apple), no tomatoes, 1 kind of hard cheese, etc.
To conclude- for this price, I would expect more.

Room Tip: I didn't see a room with a sea view, but maybe there are. try to ask for.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Glex5000
Gulab R, Director of Sales at Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear sir,
We have read your comments wth onterest.
Some people like carpets others just feel that in the tropic one prefers the natural flooring.
We cannot be blamed for peole who smaok in hotel rooms. However we note your point and be more attentive at trying to rid of the smaell should anyone smoke in the rooms.
The Berjaya Beau Vallon is usually known for its food. It is very unfortunate that it did not meet your expectations. Curry is so popular these days that there are people who ask for it at the pizzeria.
For breakfast we have a variety of juices but not necessarily the same one everyday. Having said this we definitely take your comments on board and try to satisfy most tastes . We thank you for the comments which we take positively. We hope to see you at the Berjaya again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have stayed in dozens if not hundreds of hotels all over the world, but i have never experienced anything like this before. Service is plain rude, quality of the resort is below average (not helped by the construction site right behind the chalet, drilling from the early hours). When we asked for late check out the answer was simply No and 15min past the checkout time as we were leaving knocking on the door to help speed up the process. After checking out we wanted to leave our luggage in the storage room, this one overfull and absolutely no way to store a single suitcase, not to say there was nobody attending the storage room.. Again if you have a choice best to stay somewhere else

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank gmc311
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The location is excellent - right next to the beach which has white sand and blue waters . I was surprised though as soon as I was driven in that the place they call 'resort ' had such overgrown grass!!
Their standard rooms are your typical 3star rooms .
The management is to me questionable as I'm sure most of the problems I experienced have been brought to their attention at some time or another.

The service is extremely disappointing . Everyone from the housekeeping staff to the marketing manager is lazy and rude and they just don't care about their guests .

I stayed there for 7 nights .
There was never a pen in my room ( standard in hotels internationally that I've stayed in )
I had to fight for bedding to be changed on the FOURTH night that I stayed there.
Once I left my room at 9:00 and when I came back at 16:30 the room was not made up .
The food at the Parrot Restaurant was never good and I had no choice because I had a package that included dinner . The breakfast was worse , exactly the same every single day for 8 days- no variation whatsoever .
I had dinner at Eden Island and at Coral Strand Hotel ( a walk away from Berjaya) several times and the food was a million times better.
On several occasions I had to wait approximately an hour for beach towels to be available so that I could go to the beach .

Had I not had a chance to interact with other Seychellois people outside this hotel I would simply think all of them have no manners .

• Stayed: April 2014
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Sunset Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in Glacis

Been to Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles? Share your experiences!