All reviewsstar michelin restaurantboutique hoteljohn doryfabulous propertyrose petalsgrounds are immaculatecomplimentary bottledirect accessbeautiful algarvelounge chairsheated poolsmall hotelprivate beachrestaurant staff arewelcome drinkspa areagerman family
Reviewed 24 September 2017

The only problem with Vila Joya is that ratings only go up to five stars. This is a truly first class place that isn't just a hotel, it's an experience. The staff are exceptionally well-trained and cater to your every need promptly, professionally and subtly. The in-house two Michelin star restaurant is everything you'd expect, with a tasting menu that changes daily and wine pairings that are impeccable.

For our trip, I used it as an opportunity to propose to my girlfriend, and in this the staff were amazingly helpful and at every stage exceeded my expectations. From setting up the spot and decorating it with flowers and pillows with chilled champagne waiting for us, to the subsequent dinner table and bed decorated with rose petals. They really made it a memorable experience and made it very easy for my now fiancé to say yes!

Vila Joya is worth every cent and more for the rooms, the food and the service. Talking to some of the other guests and staff, most people are repeat customers and I look forward to being one of them!

Room Tip: The suites are definitely worth the price
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2017

We did a 17-day tour of Portugal, and it was mostly go go go. The four nights we spent at Vila Joya were my FAVORITE because we just relaxed and soaked in the beauty. Beautiful gardens, trees, pool, beach, food, hotel grounds... everything lived up to our expectations. We really only left the hotel a few times when we were in Albufeira: for dinner twice, and once for an afternoon to check out the downtown area. There is no good reason to leave this paradise!

We stayed in a Double room. I wish SO MUCH that we had splurged and stayed in one of the suites - they look incredible. Our room was kind of small and cramped, and the bathroom was kind of dark - but overall it was definitely adequate. We had our own patio area with lounge chairs and a view of the pool and sea, and that was definitely top notch. Relaxing in the sun with a glass of wine was heaven.

The pool was also spectacular. We spent a lot of time there. It's surrounded with GORGEOUS foliage, flowers, and trees, and there's a path down to the beach. Accessible bathrooms and a nice pool bar as well.

I loved the brunch every morning. The buffet-style food was so good! And the tables overlooking the water were just incredible. A great way to start each day in paradise.

The restaurant is beyond words. We went to three Michelin-star restaurants in Portugal, and this one was the best. The tasting menu is to die for, and do not skip the wine pairings. Worth the money, trust me. The ambiance is also fantastic, and it was fun to get dressed up.

Overall, I'd go back to Vila Joya in a heartbeat. It was the highlight of our Portuguese tour. Great service (we were given drinks when we arrived, and the staff were so nice). Beautiful property, inside and out. The sky just seems bluer in Albufeira. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Everything about this restaurant was amazing. The view from every table is simply spectacular, which sets the tone for what a fantastic evening you will have dining at Vila Joya. Then there's the staff; the hostess who was warm and welcoming, the service staff who were attentive without being intrusive, but remarkably perfect in their timing with presenting the many dishes that were served throughout our meal. Speaking of many dishes, there were a lot. And every single one was incredibly unique and delicious. Besides the regular courses we exepected to be served, we were delighted with the unexpected Chef's surprises presented in the beginning of the meal which were all crazy good! I wish I could remember one that stood out to share, but they were all so fabulous it'd be impossible to list them. This restaurant is top notch dining and certainly worth trying when visiting the Algarve, as you will not be disappointed. I can't wait for my next trip to Portugal just to go back to this place. Five stars doesn't do it justice.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

We were able to book a table for lunch for (family of) 6 at relatively short notice. Had dined at Villa Joya several times 14-14 yrs ago and impressive to see this hotel/restaurant is still operating at top level.
We had the full lunch menu with several pre-course appetizers followed by john dory, entrecote and apricot / almond dessert. All dishes were delicious and well balanced creations by clearly a creative chef! Wine pairings of portugese white and red were also excellent. Service professional and attentive.

Clearly 'worth the journey' at 2 michelin stars and again compliments for running a top establishment for such a long time!

Only comments would be aperitif prices for champagne and aperol spritz - at 27.5 euro!! These prices are well beyond reasonable limits even for a 5 star hotel and 2 star restaurant and give a bad inpression.

Also, service would have been (even) more attentive if the team serving us would have been there to thank us at departure - none was in sight ...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

even 5 stars is not enough
we spend 2 wonderful nights in this Paradise
it s not an hotel it s your home
all is simple , comfortable , soft , peace
the food is exceptional
the team os a dream team
the location is ......go and see you ll understand
thanks thanks !