“Paradise Island”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This really was a fantastic stay on a beautiful paradise island. The room was wonderful, the staff were so friendly and welcoming. The view from the beach front rooms is absolutely stunning. The food was great (bread and cakes delicious) with lots of variety and huge portions. We stayed in Villa 1 which was close to the Dive shop and also where the supply boat loads and offloads, so it could be a bit noisy at times, but it was also wonderful to see the new arrivals and departures - each being welcomed or waved goodbye in true Fijian style!

I would highly recommend this resort for individuals, families, couples and any other combination of travellers. Well worth the travel time (over 30 hours from the UK),

Room Tip: Beach front villas have own reserved hammocks and beach beds - with a fantastic view right from your...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatJ1991

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Spent 5 nights here at the End of June, early July 2013 with my girlfriend. One of the main things I took from this resort is that it feels like your part of a remote community far away from the fast paced world most of us live in. We got to know most of the people whilst staying here, especially when we sat with different groups of people during meal times. The ocean is crystal clear and the food was always delicious. Special mention to the team in the kitchen they know how to cook great food. We spent 3 nights in a garden villa and 2 in a lodge room. The garden villa has an outdoor shower which I loved. However both the garden and lodge rooms are basic with no air-con.

The trips they do are all worthwile. We chose fishing, cave trip, scuba diving and the village visit. I especially enjoyed the village visit and the bording school they take you to. The kids are all very friendly. The cave trip was also great as was the kyaking right off the beach. We paddled to Yaromo Island which is approx 3km from the resort, took us a while to get there but had it all to ourselves until just before we left.

I did find that the coral reef in front of the resort was largely dead and of a brown colour. It was not like the colours of a rainbow I had imagined, I believe the recent cyclone had a part to play in that, but there is still plenty of fish to see. My other issue was with the constuction that was going on whilst we were there. At no point was I told upon booking that our garden villa would be surrounded by builders and building noises from 8am till 6pm. Literally from every direction. My vision of lying on a sunlounger on the beach listening to the sound of the water lapping on the beach was quickly dashed by the sound of circular saws and hammering due to the construction of the swimming pool, which was finished a day before we left.

Other than that I was happy with this resort, and the hosts were all friendly and engaging for the most part. The seaplane ride home and my first attempt at scuba diving was the icing on the cake. Would happily return, as long as they arent building anything next time.

Special shout out to Charlie the dog, he followed us around the headland when we were kayaking. Give him a pat from us !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim J
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Travelling around all those beautiful Fiji-Islands as a son-and-father-adventure-trip the "Blue Lagoon Beach Resort" was exceeding our expectations by far. Beautiful beach, friendly staff, luxurious Beachfront-Villa only a very few steps from the sea, great food and excellent diving. What else to say? It's worth travelling all the long way down from Europe. One of the best places we've ever been.... We do recommend taking the Beaver-seaplane (at least one way), operated by local Turtle Airways, which is an amazing experience. You'll love it.....
Peter and Nick from Germany

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The first thing to know is that the Blue Lagoon Resort is Very Big. It was much bigger than we expected. We’d been to 3 island resorts before, and seen many others en route – and they’d all been very small – but we made a wrong assumption when it came to this one. Blue Lagoon Resort may be on a remote island, right at the top end of the Yasawa Island group, but remote is not how it feels when you are there, to be honest. As a couple, you’re there with up to 198 other people, plus plenty of staff. Which is absolutely fine, if you want a fun, social, active, holiday located on a stunningly beautiful beach in front on the best home reef we’ve seen in Fiji. As we’re avid, possibly obsessed, snorkelers the unexpected crowded nature of the resort didn't bother us much.

The size of the place does make it a less intimate holiday than we’d previously experienced on the small islands in Fiji, and you don’t get that level of friendly and personal interaction with staff that we’d become accustomed to. For instance, and it’s a fairly major instance – I broke 3 ribs and partially compressed a lung whilst there, when I fell out of one of the hammocks there. Only one staff member noticed during the two remaining days I was there, (and that very briefly, at dinner, when a couple of tears escaped me when I moved unwisely, before he rushed off to do something else). But I should mention here: I didn’t seek help during those 2 days. I just waited it out, like the daft stoic nitwit that I am, and discovered how badly damaged I was when I got back to Australia 3 days later. But it does, to me, illustrate that this is a big place, and you can get a bit lost in the crowd.

A very nice element of the resort is that dinner is a communal affair. Everybody sits down together at 7pm. You share tables with strangers, tell stories, make friends. It is a bit daunting on the first night if you’re a bit shy, but it generally seems to work well in breaking down barriers between guests and making a convivial atmosphere.

There is a daily entertainment schedule on the blackboard in the dining area, and every night there is a kava session for those who want to join (though I didn’t see any guests join this), with some lovely singing and playing from the resident musicians and staff. One night a fabulous traditional dance group came and gave a performance, another night there was a fantastic Fijian gospel choir, with the most beautiful voices and harmonies.

A couple we met whilst there told us the resort had literally doubled since they had been there the previous year, and a whole new section had been built on beyond the original bar and eating area. The new area included a swimming pool, 3 new single bed bures and a number of 2 bed bures.

The accommodation is a mixture of backpacker hostel dorms, single and double room bures, and seems to be marketed largely to a youngish market. When we were there, the ages of the guests seemed to be predominately 20-30 year olds, backpackers and young families. In lesser numbers, there were a few older family members attached to the families, and several middle aged couples, ourselves included.

The food was good, fresh, inventive and plentiful.

Room Tip: The new accommodation section is noisy, particularly Bures 14, 15 and 16, which are sandwiched betwe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ValOz
blbresort, General Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. We are sorry to hear of the injury you suffered during your stay and please be assured we would have done everything we could of to help if we had been aware.

In the last year we have extended the resort with only an additional 4 villas, taking the total number of villas up to 31, by no means can we cater to over a 100 guests. The staff are one of the gems to this resort and we often get lovely comments about how friendly and personable our staff are so we apologise if you feel this was not the case during your stay.

The resort attracts a diverse range of ages and people and this can change from one week to another we often say to people it is the perfect place to do as much as you like or as little as we have plenty of activities if you want to keep busy or it is also a perfect spot for those that want to relax on the beach and swim and snorkel.

We thank you again for your feedback and hope you will visit Blue Lagoon Beach Resort again.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at this fantastic resort for 6 nights in October and can't review it highly enough. The resort was recommended to us by previous managers so I think that this speaks well for our experience. The staff and managers are all very friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I enjoyed the lessons on making kokoda, bracelet weaving, and making roti for afternoon tea! The massages by Rebekah were great, where does she get her strength? Our bure was beachfront with our own sun lounges and hammock. The bure was large and well appointed, particularly the outdoor shower in the bathroom, a nice touch, especially in the rain!
The activities were plentiful, our trip to the local village and school most enjoyable, the children performing songs for us. Try to take some pencils, books, rugby/soccer balls to donate to them if at all possible.
The food was always different and there were lots of choices especially at lunch time. As I don't eat fish, the chefs always made something different for me in the evening, and this did not seem to be a problem at all. The new swimming pool looks impressive but was not needed for us as the beach and the snorkelling there was fantastic, not far from the bures.
Thanks Sarah and Gustav for your friendship during our stay, please continue on with your good work. Thanks to all the staff in the dining room, kitchen and bar, you were all great...

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront bure if at all possible, they are worth the extra money, as you really are right...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed for a week in July 2013. We went for a more budget option and chose a room that was essentially a motel room without a bathroom; the bathroom was a short walk away and shared with backpackers. I was second-guessing this choice upon first arrival, but it worked out just fine. The shared bathroom was kept very clean and was sufficiently large to easily accommodate all guests. And the cost saving was substantial.

The room was very small but clean and the bed was comfortable. We had a dry rack and line on our little porch where we could hang wet items.

It would be nice if the walk to the shared bathroom were protected from rain. It was dry much of the time that we visited but a couple rainy periods made that trip out to the bathroom a bit unpleasant.

There is an on-site dive shop. We hadn't expected to do much diving in the Yasawas, on the view that there is not as much to see here as elsewhere in Fiji. But we ended up doing a 10-dive package because we quite enjoyed the dive operation and enjoyed how easy the diving was - unlike other places in Fiji, there is almost no current. And there is still plenty to see underwater. This would be a good place for a beginner to take up diving.

We didn't know before our arrival that the dive shop here does a weekly shark dive (akin to Beqa). The shark dive is not as over-subscribed as in Beqa and in many ways is much more pleasant - and certainly better organized, safer, and more controlled. The shark dive at Blue Lagoon Dive Resort is definitely worth doing if you have the time/money. I also recommend the cave tour.

The location was terrific, with lots of beach and not too many guests. This didn't feel like a large resort; it had a nice intimate feel. And between a 10-dive package, shark dive, and cave tour, we kept busy.

Meals were included in the room price. There was a choice of items for breakfast and lunch, with the option of eating alone and at flexible times within the applicable meal-time window. Dinner was on a fixed menu and was served at shared tables where guests had to choose to sit with other guests; they could pay for the option of taking a meal on their own at their room but this was quite pricey.

While I'm not opposed to sitting with other guests and getting to know other people, I also found this requirement quite awkward at times. This resort attracts all kinds of people - families, couples, young people, newlyweds, retirees. It's not like a dive resort where shared meals are made easier by the fact that all guests arrive with a shared interest. Indeed, we found the meals at Blue Lagoon a bit uncomfortable at times because the only thing many of us had in common was the fact that we were vacationing at this resort. We tried to avoid the awkwardness by sitting with other divers but it wasn't always possible to manage. As such, I have very mixed feelings about this requirement. Many of us are on holiday to get AWAY from other people and social interactions, especially if we have very socially demanding jobs. I don't always enjoy having to spend the time and energy getting to know people I will never interact with again. That said, if I were a single traveler, I think I would be glad for the opportunity to have others interact with me.

In any case, the food was very good and I appreciated the selections that were available.

The staff were friendly and personable.

I can happily recommend Blue Lagoon Resort but do caution other travelers that it is a long ferry ride out to this resort (4.5 hours) on a very crowded boat. It is worth spending more than just a day or two if you're going to travel all that way. And this resort is best for quiet couples and families; if you're looking for a 20-something party place, this isn't for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IntentToTravel
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a marvelous place. Stayed in a beachfront villa, two steps to beach and two more to ocean and corals to snorkel. Dive shop had excellent staff like most of the rest of resort staff.

Food was good and varied. On lunch there was default selection of ~8 different dishes + 3-4 daily specialties. On dinner they would check if everybody was ok with the menu and if there were any allergies or something you didn't like or other special requests.
Didn't realize until the end that you could have purchased a personal bottle of wine that they would keep in the bar for you and you could have only glass from it for each dinner.

With the bar cocktails, your mileage may vary depending who took your order and who made the cocktails. Some of the persons in the bar made splendid, excellent drinks. Others mediocre at their best.

Cleaning took hour and a half to complete each day! They usually started about half an hour before lunch to clean our villa and were still in progress when we returned from the lunch. They could start the work, leave all their stuff in place and vanish in the middle of it only to show back later to continue. This was rather annoying. And it was hard to tell what took so long on making the bed, changing the linen if needed, changing the towels if needed and swiping the sand...

Room Tip: Beachfront villa 6 is closest to the beach, but also closest to the restaurant / bar. So some sounds...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!