“Blue Lagoon Paradise”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
“Blue Lagoon Paradise”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was our second time to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and we were still amazed with the beautiful beach and reef, relaxed atmosphere, very friendly service, great food and very comfortable accommodation. The outdoor showers are great and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. We stayed at the beachside villas and loved the direct access to the beach as well as the private hammock and deck chairs.The managers Sarah and Gustav and their wonderful staff are fantastic. They were very obliging in organising combined surprise 50th and 18th birthday dinner on our beachside villa deck. The chef cooked up an amazing banquet which was served by the wonderful Blue Lagoon staff. We can not thank all the staff and managers enough for our wonderful stay there. Blue Lagoon met all our expectations and more. We plan to return again in the near future. This is the perfect place to relax and unwind. We would love to keep this place a secret but the secret is out there. If you're after 'cruise ship' style resorts, then this is not the place for you, try the Shangri-La or other mainland resorts with the hundreds of tourists and 'all you can eat' all day. If you are after a piece of Fiji then you'll appreciate this place.

Room Tip: All accommodation is great and suits all budgets from dorm to beach villas.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I went to Blue Lagoon Beach resort in December 2013 with my husband on our honeymoon. We stayed in the two bedroom garden villa which was gorgeous and very spacious. We loved the outdoor shower and the oversized day bed on the deck. The staff was amazing. Everyone was so kind. The food was good. There was always something different to try. We went on 4 dives trips, including the shark dive which was a lot of fun. The beach is beautiful with clear, blue/turquoise water. They have good snorkeling right in front of the resort. I would definitely come back to this resort and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EmilyY329
madivt93
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We recently traveled to the Blue Lagoon Resort in Fiji and stayed three nights in the two bedroom garden villa. I loved the owner/manager here....a very sweet lady from Australia? New Zealand? I'm ashamed that I didn't get her name. She really went out of her way to make our stay very nice. If it hadn't been for her and her hospitality, I probably would have been more disappointed in this place. She really made the difference and you can tell she is working hard to make this a great place. So, I'm sure she will appreciate my review and learn from it, even if it isn't perfect ly glorifying. Here's my pluses and minuses for Blue Lagoon:

Good things:

1. The food is great. Loved the Fish n Chips on the lunch menu every day. My husband loved the burger and curry options. The mango/ginger soup one night was amazing! The kids' food is wonderful as well! Homemade chicken fingers, chicken fried rice. Just wonderful. We also love dining with other people we don't know. We met some very fun and interesting people while we visited. Loved the crab racing night! Wished the bonfire could have happened!

2. Nice rooms! Our two bedroom garden villa was very nice. As someone else mentioned, you must keep the doors shut at night to keep the bugs out as the shower/bathroom is open air and connects to the other parts of your room, but the windows have screens and there are ceiling fans. I personally would go for an air conditioned villa next time. They have a few of them here. Ours was not. Once we finally got to sleep, the heat wasn't too bad, but AC would have been nice.

LOVE the outdoor shower. It's so nice to sit under the rain shower when you get back from a hot day at the beach! Didn't realize the first two days that we were supposed to have shampoo and conditioner. Washed our hair with bar soap but after talking with another couple, we realized that shampoo came with the room. Who knew??! We asked our housekeeper about it and received it at the end of the second day. Just an oversight, I'm sure.

3. The most amazingly beautiful waters! The kids had a great time playing in the surf, kayaking close to shore (kayak rental is free) and visiting the cave (though expensive, we're glad we did it). I need to give the scenery about TEN stars since, this, to me, is the best thing about this resort and location. I have the most incredible pictures and memories from this beach. Just breathtaking!!!!!

4. Some of the bar staff (especially at night) had warm smiles and made you feel welcome. The office staff was nice. The guy who processed our check out was very detailed in going over my bill, making sure I didn't get charged the deposit fee for the snorkeling gear and also making sure I had my return ferry tickets for the family and that we could purchase food before we left (lunch on your exit from Blue Lagoon isn't included, so if you want anything other than water after breakfast, you need to make sure you order it and pay for it on your bill at the office at check out). The boat out to the ferry arrives around 12:30. Very limited food on the five hour ferry ride, so it's best to eat something beforehand. All of the office staff was good, both while we were there and also in emails before we arrived!

5. Snorkeling was great! Only $5/day to rent the gear. Even up close to shore, you'll see small fish swimming around and the pretty coral and shells you can collect are nice. Love the Island dogs! I'm used to visiting Thailand and other places where the local/wild dogs are not safe to touch. Not here! These dogs were so sweet! They would come up to you and sit by you....just for a moment....and then move on to make yet another customer smile! They were very sweet to our kids!

Not so great things:

1. You pay a daily fee for food. I believe it was about $65/adult and $40/child. There is no way that our young children (4 and 7) eat that much in food each day. I'm okay with the fixed price though. I can understand how it makes sense and averages out for those kids who eat more. I do suggest, though, that they offer some snacks throughout the day that are included in the plan. It would be nice if they had some fruit, cheese and crackers or cereal out for in between meals. Dinner for adults doesn't start until 7-7:30 PM. When you book an all inclusive plan at other resorts or on cruises, that usually includes all day dining.

Drink prices run about $6.50 per soda, $60/house bottle of wine and $6.50 per large water but there are no refrigerators in your room to keep them cold so you find yourself buying more and more. The bottled water was only very slightly cooled at the bar, so it was difficult to keep our kids hydrated. We don't normally give them sodas but that was the only thing that was cold so we bought them way more sodas than normal, just so they would drink something.

Also, we did the romantic dinner for two on the beach one night. It was very nicely set up and the food looked amazing but the lobster was very mealy/mushy and other fish very overcooked. This was, however, our only really disappointing meal here. Overall, the food was great. Breakfast could use a few more options but the made to order eggs/omelets were a nice touch to the otherwise bland offering of toast, cereal and some sort of luncheon meat. If you have kids, definitely bring some boxes of kid friendly cereal if they are picky.

2. Definitely need to add a safe in the rooms. No one wants to walk to the office every day to retrieve their camera or other valuables. We left everything in our room each day and had no problems, but always felt a bit concerned as every other place we've visited has offered a safe to store your passports, money, etc. in while you're there.

3. We didn't find The Blue Lagoon very kid-oriented. The website had us thinking otherwise. In fact, we were the only people there with kids. There were mostly back packers and a few couples visiting while we were there. The only other children were two babies. We have a seven and four year old. We chose Blue Lagoon partly because we thought there would be a lot of kids' activities going on, even though they were clear that they didn't have a full kids' club.

We were able to hire a baby sitter (La! Very sweet lady) for only $5/hour but she basically brought them back to the room and played a game or chatted with them until they went to sleep. Children's dinner is at 6-6:30. By 7:30, it's adult time and we felt that our children were expected to be out of site by then. It wasn't really the staff that made us feel that way, but more the clientele. Luckily we had the affordable option to hire someone to look after them and we hired her a couple of nights, but overall, we really would have liked to have had them with us and had some kids' activities for them to participate in.....at least up until normal bedtime of 8:30 or so. We didn't feel comfortable having kids there. In fact, my husband went to breakfast alone the last morning we were there and overheard some young people complaining about kids being there and about being annoyed that there were sand castles on the beach. Not the resort's fault, of course, but I think I would choose somewhere that caters more towards kids if I were to ever go back.

4. Backpackers pay a fraction of what people pay to stay in a villa here. There should be reserved beach loungers for everyone staying in villas....not just for those staying in the oceanfront VILLAs. If I'm paying $250/night and fighting for the same lounger as someone paying $30/night, it doesn't seem quite fair. Overall, there could be many more loungers/umbrellas on the beach.

5. The staff: Sigh! I want to love this place. Some of the staff were very nice. Again, the owner/manager was wonderful. Some of the bar staff at night were good but would also be looking off while you're talking to them....as if they had something better to do. The guy who ran the boat to take us to the cave and then to the village was very grumpy and irritable. He lives in the village and he directed our tour there that day. He seemed very bored...almost irritated with us. Yet, when his friend called him on his cell phone, he was very happy. I had brought a large bag of items for the kids in the village.....brand new Gymboree clothes, crayons, Ibuprofen, slinkies (toys), stickers, things for the school, etc. I asked him when I should give them to the people in the village. He rummaged through my bag and just sort of grunted and said I could give them to them after the shell market where we walked through the village where the ladies were selling shells and necklaces. Our kids bought a couple of items from the ladies at the village. We were never instructed where to leave the items we had brought so we just left them by the donation box for the school.

Overall, we didn't feel that big BULA!!!! welcome at Blue Lagoon. Yes, they welcome you with a smile and some music on the shore. Yes, they have good food and the service was good on many occasions. I think the owners are trying hard. I just think that THEY are trying harder than the rest of them employees there. It just seems that this place is lacking the heart that I had expected in Fiji. In summary, when we first arrived, our driver told us that the main industry in Fiji used to be Kava or Sugarcane. Now it is tourism. That was very evident in all of Fiji, not just at Blue Lagoon. Tourists=money. Except, if tourism is your MAIN industry....your income...maybe you should try harder to make the resort where you work somewhere that EVERYONE will want to come back to! That will bring more demand, more money and give the tourists who are spending a lot of money to visit your resort happy experiences and memories, too! Overall, Blue Lagoon was good. Just could use some improvements....

Room Tip: Get a room on the water or one with air conditioning. Garden villas were nice, too, if you don'...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank madivt93
blbresort, General Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. We appreciated your comments as these help us to improve guest experiences and give the team feedback.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed the food and the beautiful two bedroom garden villas with the stunning outdoor shower. The blue water is incredible here and it is often hard to believe just how beautiful and clear it is the kayaks do make this a fun way to get out and explore and are a popular option so we are glad you agree.

We are sorry to hear your seafood dinner for two on the beach was not up to standard we are continually working with the chefs on ways to improve meals and this is something that will be looked in to. You will be pleased to hear we have just received safes to the island which we have started implementing in the villas. In addition we will continue to provide the larger safe in our main office as a precaution for guest’s valuables.

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort is a child friendly resort and we are mortified to read you felt you were not able to have the children around you at meal times. Outside the school holiday periods the presence of children around the resort is unpredictable some weeks of the year we may have no children and then other weeks there can be a good number around, at present we have several families and the kids are enjoying our daily scheduled activities during the day and night with two of our full time kid carers. The staff at the resort are our shinning stars so we are disappointed to read you did not experience the friendly Bula welcome and we hope you will visit us again so we can show you this.
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Resort: We were greeted and welcomed by a song, along with a drink, and shown to our rooms. We were in a garden bure which was lovely, we could still see the sea. The gardens were lovely and colourful. The room was quite large, there were three of us that easily fit. The bathroom with it's open shower was very amusing and entertaining! The beds were very on the hard side. The resort is gorgeous, lovely gardens with the blueness from the sea peaking through at every opportunity. Food was fantastic, and they even had a special cake/song for a birthday we had in our group, best version of happy birthday i have heard! Staff were friendly but not overally so, there seemed to be a lot of people who come back and staff were very friendly with these people. But when asked they were happy to help with any request

Activities: Snorkelling was good, not as colourful as i had imagined, but still very good. Calm beach to swim in as well. We didn't do the diving but we heard it was good. Great trip to the Blue Lagoon Caves, disappointed with one of the drivers who was smoking and threw his cigarette butts in the water, would have through they'd have more respect for the sea and it's creatures. Local village trip to school was great, lovely to see the children singing and the village. Evening activities were good, with a firm favourite the International Crap Races, very amusing. We went and had a massage which was very relaxing and beautifully located, and a must do if you like this sort of thing! Local group that came to put on a show in the evening was fantastic, had people up dancing and the buffet that evening was amazing!

Only suggestion i would have is a book in the room explaining the amenities, prices, tours, activities etc that are on offer as we were walking around a little blind as to how, what and where things were! Otherwise, it was a fantastic stay and very enjoyable!

Room Tip: Garden Bures were lovely, very nicely laid out, still could see the sea. Obviously if you can afford...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nazzarella
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Amazing beach, beautiful turqoise waters and the best food you can get. The shared bathroom bures are great value for money compared to the other resort. The staff was wonderful and there is plenty to do everyday on the island!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NPandEN
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The place is just so so beautiful. The rooms are amazing, bathrooms beautiful, food lovely, staff are just so wonderful. The diving was some of the best I've ever done. Lots of fantastic activities.

I could not fault this place.

There wasn't any aircon in the room I stayed in (villa) but it is slightly cooler in the northern islands at night, so we didn't need it.

Room Tip: All the rooms a beautiful, but is you want something more romantic go for a villa.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JessVZ
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Bula! This was our first stop on our travels after our retirement and it was the perfect way to begin winding down. Although a long ferry ride to get there, it was well worth it for the amazing snorkeling that is right off the beach. Beautiful turquoise waters and a vibrant coral reef, along with a comfortable bure not far away, with a "no shoes" option make an excellent combination for true relaxation. The food for the most part was good, the staff amazingly friendly and helpful, and good options for activities. The hike up the mountain is a must for great views and good exercise! Although we had some heavy winds and a bit of rain, it all added to the restfulness of the experience. We lost power for a few hours but no one seemed to care; just taken in stride as the staff worked hard to accommodate everyone. Drinks are a little expensive and there aren't too many options for light eating as you are required to take the meal plan which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also, while it is a great way to meet fellow travelers as you converse at the community dining set up, there aren't too many options if you would like to "dine alone."

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mantaray Island Resort
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!