“Completely ripped off”
Review of Octopus Resort

Octopus Resort
“Completely ripped off”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My Husband and I spent two nights at Octopus Resort before heading to sister resort, Paradise Cove for the remainder of our trip. (also see my review about Paradise Cove - incredible).

Unfortunately, whilst we enjoyed the 2 nights there (facilities were ok, nothing spectacular but the reef there was beautiful), we were left with a sour taste when we came to check out and were presented with a FJ$1040 bill for 2 days, with all food and accommodation already pre-paid. This is around AU$689, for 2 days....

Whilst we did have a larger night at the bar on our second night, there is just no physical way we spent $689. To put this into perspective, we had larger nights and did many more activities at Paradise Cove Resort and stayed for 5 nights (6 days) and our total bill came to AU$870...

Unfortunately their billing system is just not reliable enough and seriously needs to be reviewed by the owners/management. When you order your first drink at the bar, they ask you to sign the bottom of the bill at that stage. They then proceed to add the remainder of your drinks to that docket (which has already been signed), so essentially they are able to add whatever they like to it, and you have no way at all of knowing whether it's right. I can tell you that we were completely ripped off. All you are presented when checking out is a big wad of those dockets that have very hard to read scribble on them and a total at the bottom. There's just no way of disputing that.

The only paid activity we did was the manta ray snorkelling trip which was FJ$59 per person. If we take that $118 from the total bill we're left with FJ$922 which equates to around AU$535 which they say we spent on drinks/water etc. Based on drinks being an average of around $10 each this means that we had around 53 drinks over 2 nights.... I don't think so. Considering my Husband was drinking Fiji beer majority of the time (around $5 each!) it's just astounding.

Unfortunately, there's no way we could have contested this as it would have been our word against there's and in the interest of not ruining our holiday, we didn't bother. However, it's safe to say that we won't be returning to Octopus Resort. It was a pretty horrible way to end our time there and certainly made us quite anxious about the remainder of our trip, but luckily, we needn't have been.

They need to fix their system as it is just not reliable, and they also have no way of documenting drinks that are ordered during happy hour vs normal hours.

I'd advise anyone travelling there to use caution and perhaps refuse to sign a docket until the very end of your purchases for that session (although that would likely cause a stir).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank KarynS44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at Octopus resort for 4 nights mid of May. The island is beautiful with mountain peaks and quite green with some parts covered with jungles. The resort is well built-in into the surroundings. We came to the resort by plane from Pacific Islands Air (8-10 seater, quite comfortable to fly). It takes probably 15-20min. We saw many islands and resorts from above – exciting. In general we loved the island and Octopus resort. All staff who served us were pleasant and helpful, without any fuss attending our requests. They have 2 yoga classes (7am and 5pm). The teacher is experienced practitioner, so be careful to choose your pace and do not stress your body too much. Because of a lot vegetation there are plenty mosquitoes at night time around bures, so you have to do a basic protection if you do not want to be bitten dozen times. All windows have fly screens installed (with some holes in them). Also all bures have mosquitoes net over the bed. Points 1-4 do not have nets over beds so be prepared for a night-time: as soon it gets dark switch outside lights on, switch inside lights off, make sure all doors (and internal parts of doors) are closed all the time. It is handy to have insect repellent cream. And better to bring with you all medications (like panadol/nurofen/thermometer/diarrhoea pills and so on) just in case – anything can happen that never happens while you at home. Reefs are quite good right in front of the resort. At low tide it could be quite uneasy for not a good swimmer to get in and out between reefs because of some currents. Kayaks are free and give you a wonderful view of mountains and island jungle. Village walk is nice one. Mountain peak walk takes 3 hours and is a real hard experience. It is steep all the way to the top with high humidity and heat around 30 degrees. View from the top you will remember for a long time. You can meet tourists from all over the world – very nice. Food is probably the weakest part, but is my personal experience, as I am very sensitive to outside dining 3 times daily. I found coke helped me a lot. We departed by Yasawa Flyer boat. It is good to do one way on a boat to see many islands and resorts nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vlad-Bondibeach
Reviewed 14 June 2014

To the lovely people at Octopus that made my holiday extraordinary:
thank you so so much!
Octopus resort wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t for its beautiful, dedicated, warm and helpful staff. Sadly I only stayed at Octopus for 4 nights as I was going to visit their sister hotel Blue Lagoon as well whilst in Fiji.

We stayed in a dorm and hands down: it was the cleanest dorm I’ve ever come across and the cleanest bathrooms as well. Luxury dreams of a backpacker ;) When I was staying at Octopus I found the place attracted lots of lovely people to hang out with so don’t worry if you’re travelling on your own, chances are great that you’ll meet a lovely bunch of others.

The food is amazing, and from what I’ve heard from everyone else travelling to other resorts in the Yasawa’s on similar budgets, by far the best you’ll find besides Blue Lagoon. Fresh fish every day but of course also lots of other options to choose from. Healthy salads, chicken, curries, burgers, stir-fries…
Not that lunch would ever be anything to worry about, chances are you will still be so full from breakfast: omelette station, fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts, pancakes, bread etc. First I was concerned with 3 meals a day I would need snacks in between, but food at octopus is fresh, plenty and delish and personally I wasn’t even ever hungry for the meals but just couldn’t wait to eat more yumminess. The Banana cake is amazing too if you happen to be there while it’s still on the menu :)
And if you have the discipline to get up for Yoga at 7am (or 5.30pm for the not so early risers) I sadly never made it but heard it’s great, so wish I had checked it out.

At Octopus you will receive amazing value for money and if you are going to other places as well, be warned: it’s all downhill from here, haha!
The beach is beautiful, the sand is soft, coffee and drinks at the bar are very affordable, pool is clean and big, plenty of sun lounges…
Relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere, everything here is on Fiji-Time ;)
Personally I think Octopus caters for most people on different budgets, wether you’re a backpacker in a dorm, or you’d like to have your own place at the beach as a couple or family.. you will receive great service, a stunning location and a holiday to cherish for the years to come.

I would certainly also do the village visit (beautiful and inspiring place to see) and support the beautiful people in the village (most of them work in the resort as well) and their families with a donation to support local projects, education and the children. I’m pretty sure they would also love donations of kids clothing, school supplies etc and I wish I had known this prior to arriving so I could have brought a few things from Australia.

They also do fun activities, such as jewellery making, weaving, snorkelling trips etc which I would recommend. Also the Spa is beautiful and that’s definitely worth a visit (or a few) too :)

Anyway, I can’t say enough good things about Octopus and hope to be back soon!

Now to Dave, if you happen to read this: thank you so so much for the after hours office supplies. I hope you’ll be pleased to find out that I was able to put them to good use at Octopus ;) Shame it was my last night and there wasn’t time for more weet-bix and another night of Kava/stories over dinner with the English girls, I surely would have you all in stitches.

Carina

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Marie1233
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This place is truly amazing..was paradise..the staff are very friendly...foods lovely always something to choose from...entertainment was always a giggle..cocktails amazing and always willing to make something new...our bure room was lovely...would recommended to all ages..A week before leaving I unfortunately lost my engagement ring, in the sand on the volley ball court...totally gutted as we'd only just got engaged...So please if anyone happens to ever come across a 1 stone diamond ring..please get in contact...overall we tried not to let this ruin our trip of a lifetime...x

Room Tip: We would have upgraded to the rooms on the beach but wasn't any available when we tried to chang...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sineaddoherty
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Spent 4 Days on Octopus Island in a premium Garden Bure #6 fantastic Room Great Outdoor shower,loads of space (wardrobe and safe in the Bure) and nice gardens around.
The Island has great snorkelling at ALL tides just swim out between the Yellow and Orange Bouys and then follow the coral shelves so many fish to see and lots of live coral including beautiful green platform coral formations. This would have to be one of the best snorkelling spots in the Yasawas Islands (Blue Lagoon and Botaria are the other two).
The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble if they run out of something at Breakfast they just bring more. Fruit juice,fruit,cerial,pancakes, Cakes ,toast and boiled eggs provided in the package but you can order bacon and eggs,omlettes etc at extra costs. Lunch is the same each day with some specials but a large choice. Dinner varies daily but food is well prepared and great.
The beach is amasing with lounges out front and shade to sit under in the heat of the day. Beach towels are provided. I have attached some photos to show what a great place it is.
Don't forget to say hello to Ravi he is a great guy and makes you feel at home.
One word of warning the trip to the village for church is up approximately 200 steps and a fair climb for older people but the singing in the church by the local fijians made it all worthwile

Room Tip: The premium Graden Bures were great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This must be on your list of places to stay in Fiji, it's a beautiful place with such friendly people who are so accommodating you won't want to leave! We were only there two nights but the staff enabled us to do all we wanted despite not fitting into the normal schedule, we can definitely recommend the manta ray snorkel trip and night snorkelling on the incredible reef just on the front of the resort. The food was gorgeous, just like at Blue Lagoon their linked resort, and offered plenty of activities in and out of the water. We would also recommend a sea plane transfer as the views are awesome with such contrast of the coral and mountains, you won't miss the longer boat transfer!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dixy86
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a well overdue review but better late than never. We stayed in a garden buru which we loved as soon as we saw it. Large room, beautiful bed and the outdoor bathroom was a nice extra! Our buru was right behind the restaurant however so was a bit noisy at breakfast and dinner but manageable. The grounds are kept very tidy and are beautifully tropical and make you feel far away from your neighbour. The pool, restaurant and bar areas are all amazing.

The food was far better than we thought. However, before I went I informed staff I did not eat seafood and was told that was fine. Despite this, every dinner has a set menu and from memory 3 out of 5 nights we were primarily seafood dishes and it was quite a hassle to get anything else- usually I just has to eat the limited non seafood food at the table. Other than that, food was amazing.

The boat ride there was about 3 hours late and as a result we missed out included lunch, however when we informed staff we ended up getting a free massage which was nice. They also took quite a bit off our drinks bill when we checked out.

We would definitely come back and are planning to next year. Next time, we would spend a bit extra money and get a beachfront buru as they looked even better than ours and were right on the beach.

• Stayed September 2013
Mantaray Island Resort
Viwa Island Resort
Viwa Island Resort
#1 of 15 in Yasawa Islands

Been to Octopus Resort? Share your experiences!